Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Default Purple heart for PTSD?? gotta be kidding me..

Personally, I think this is a complete joke. A great way to pussify our military. What a LAME ASS IDEA.

No disrespect to PTSD guys, but PUH-LEASE.

The veterans group for combat wounded troops whose mission is to preserve the integrity of the Purple Heart has come out against giving the award to troops suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

"I don’t think people should get the Purple Heart for almost getting wounded," said Joe Palagyi, of the Military Order of the Purple Heart.
    Poll: Should PTSD victims earn the Purple Heart?

PTSD does not merit the Purple Heart, according to an Army regulation that lays out the criteria for the award.

Recently, a military psychologist at Fort Bliss, Texas, told reporters during a roundtable that making troops with PTSD eligible for the Purple Heart could help destigmatize the disorder.

Related Op-ed: Recognizing the Hidden Wounds of War

"These guys have paid at least a high -- as high a price, some of them -- as anybody with a traumatic brain injury, as anybody with shrapnel wound, and what it does is it says this is the wound that isn’t worthy, and I say it is," said John E. Fortunato.

When asked about Fortunato’s suggestion later, Defense Secretary Robert Gates called it an "interesting idea," adding the matter is "clearly something that needs to be looked into."

But Palagyi, who was awarded the Purple Heart for service in Vietnam, said PTSD does not meet the standards for the award, the forerunner of which was established by Gen. George Washington.

Learn More at Military.com's PTSD Center

"The Purple Heart was set up for combat wounds, for those who have shed blood, and I believe that although PTSD is a physical disease and is an injury ... [it] does not qualify for the merit of Purple Heart based on that," he said Tuesday.

Injuries that merit the Purple Heart must happen in a combat theater and must be a direct result of enemy action, said Jack Leonard, also of the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

The group’s concern about PTSD is that it can be caused by other factors, not necessarily the enemy.

"Did it occur in boot camp? Did it occur because of the rough air flight into theater? Or did it occur because an individual saw the results of the Taliban massacre of a village? I can’t answer that," said Leonard, who was awarded the Purple Heart after being wounded in Vietnam.

Stars and Stripes called the medical center where Fortunato works for a response, but a spokesman there referred questions to Army Human Resources Command, adding that Fortunato should not have commented on the Purple Heart in the first place because the issue is "out of our medical lane."

Leonard said he does not mean to downplay war’s psychological injuries, recounting how he is sure how his father suffered from PTSD after fighting in World War II with the Marines.

"Like a flash in a pan, he would reach out and I mean full-force smack with a balled fist, without any indication that it was going to happen, and you’d go, ‘What the hell -- what the hell just happened?’ as you picked yourself off the floor," Leonard said.

He said his father, who also served in the Korean War and was close to suicide at the end of his life, was never awarded the Purple Heart.

Asked if his father should have been given the award, Leonard said no.

"There’s no physical manifestation of -- that he ever shed blood," Leonard said.
    Sound Off...What do you think?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My stepdad had PTSD from Vietnam, and it fucked him up. He got wounded pretty bad, and recovered from his wounds - but never recovered mentally. It really can mess people up bad. I can only imagine how many people will come back from Iraq with PTSD. It won't be pretty.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think it's reasonable to treat PTSD as a disability, depending upon its severity. A physical wound, however, it is not.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I couldn't begin to imagine some of the things our soldiers see or the horrific events that they have to go through. Much love.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Actually, this sounds like a fairly rational idea. Manifested, sound thinking on display. Seriously. Let's look at the generally crap infested manner in which our veterans are treated. After all, the criminal manner in which the V.A administration pretends to look after our people that have served their country with honor and dignity should be insult enough, so why bother pretending to honor them even less with a completely meaningless medal, that they obviously did not quite earn. After all, integrity is a key word here.

Far better that they earn it posthumously. Certainly saves a bunch of messy paperwork, ya know?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Recently, a military psychologist at Fort Bliss, Texas, told reporters during a roundtable that making troops with PTSD eligible for the Purple Heart could help destigmatize the disorder.
    This really is poor thinking. Reminds me of my Basic Training ribbon. Everyone who manages to make it through USAF basic training gets one. The other services just... let people serve and wear uniforms. So naturally I'd get asked by members of other services what that particular ribbon was for. I always felt a bit silly explaining it. The ribbon cheapened my service in the eyes of others.

Imagine being that fellow with a Purple Heart for PTSD, and being asked how he was wounded. Unless that fellow has a serious chip on his shoulder, he's not going to want to explain it--hell, part of PTSD is not even being able to explain it.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

It appears that our "every child gets a trophy" society has now advanced into the military...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Mental illness is still one of the easiest things to discriminate against in our country--because in many aspects it is still socially acceptable. Purple Heart aside, most soldiers diagnosed with PTSD are not just suffering from hurt feelings or bad dreams. To undermine their mental condition is to demonstrate complete disrespect for their service.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I don't know how it works in the states but I get the feeling most soldiers, physically wounded or otherwise could give less of a fuck about some piece of ribbon or metal and a lot more about getting some bloody help from the government that put them in harms way.

Medical and psychological help is vitally important. A little badge not quite so much i think.

I think the debate is on the wrong subject but that seems to be par for the course when it comes to treatment of vets.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I don't know. I guess in some ways I could see it, but then again, by that same stretch, my father and several others who suffered through frost bite in WWII would theoretically deserve one as well, would they not? I mean, I remember stories of men losing toes and even feet during the Battle for the Ardennes. Isn't that being wounded in combat? Likely if they had been awarded the Purple Heart, they would have silently declined the honor. Then again, what would one expect from "The Greatest Generation?"
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    I don't know how it works in the states but I get the feeling most soldiers, physically wounded or otherwise could give less of a fuck about some piece of ribbon or metal and a lot more about getting some bloody help from the government that put them in harms way.

Medical and psychological help is vitally important. A little badge not quite so much i think.

I think the debate is on the wrong subject but that seems to be par for the course when it comes to treatment of vets.
    I think the treatment of vets by and large is unbelievably FANTASTIC (these days).

I look at my Brother for example. He's getting out of the Army this month on an honorable medical retirement. He was wounded in Iraq by an IED and had to wear a colostomy bag for about 9 months. Took a shot of frag right in the arse (I bought him a bubba gump shrimp company sweatshirt and a t-shirt that says "Run Forrest, Run!!" ). He's unfit for combat now and coming home.

The Army is giving him a 40% disability retirement income with a good chance that once he's out the VA will bump that up to 70% or so. He's able to work just fine, so I think throughout his lifetime, he'll be more than adequately compensated. Not only that but he's also going to get a lump some one time payment of in the neighborhood of 100k. ....are you kidding me? I mean wow.

Vets are being taken care of at a level I've never heard of before. Don't let the media fool you.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    ...Vets are being taken care of at a level I've never heard of before. Don't let the media fool you.
    Yup. The media would only distort the truth, right? After all, the Walter Reed episode was merely an aberration, eh?

Congratulations that your brother just happened to luckily receive the proper care and attention he deserved. By the same token, do not let those warm feelings of gratitude somehow allow you to state that everything is fine, and believe that every soldier is receiving equal care.

And by all means, please attempt to be rational enough to realize that your brother's case is the exception, not the rule.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

And by all means, please attempt to be rational enough to realize that your brother's case is the exception, not the rule.
    No offense Chef, but I'm not exactly talking out of my ass here. He's in a company (101st) where he's not the only one being taken care of. He sees it every day and I talk to him often to hear about it. He's not a special case or the exception to the norm by any means. He's not "lucky". This is standard procedure. I'm not going to deny the fact that the army (military) can let guys fall through the cracks, but THAT is absolutely the exception to the norm.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yup. The media would only distort the truth, right? After all, the Walter Reed episode was merely an aberration, eh?

Congratulations that your brother just happened to luckily receive the proper care and attention he deserved. By the same token, do not let those warm feelings of gratitude somehow allow you to state that everything is fine, and believe that every soldier is receiving equal care.

I do not have any personal ties to current/recent soldiers who have to go through the VA for their care. That said, I do however have personal ties to several Vets who are long out of the Armed Services who depend on their care from the VA. The number of hoops they have to jump through and wait times for an appointment are nothing short of appalling.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.