Favorite VH Album

1st one
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One, Panama, Unchained
    Last Online

06.17.10 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Going to New York!

My friends son is doing a photo shoot for some magazine in New York at the end of June. I'm going with them. We'll be in Midtown Manhattan. We'll be there over the weekend. Any suggestions on where to go, what to see?
    Becki

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by Ron4406; 05.20.08 at 08:25 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Rocks!!! View Post
    My friends son is doing a photo shoot for some magazine in New York at the end of June. I'm going with them. We'll be in Midtown Manhattan. We'll be there over the weekend. Any suggestions on where to go, what to see?
    Bring your walkin' shoes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_Manhattan
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:52 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Yep....when I went to Midtown I just started walking...and walking...and walking.... I forgot about how many famous places there were in that area. One second I am walking past the Ed Sullivan Theater and then I am wandering past Good Morning America being broadcast...then Rockefeller Centre...then Times Square...Macy's etc. etc. etc. I can't wait to get back there.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Like everyone else said, bring you walking shoes....and bring extra money. Things are obviously more expensive in the big city.

I'm sure someone who lives there will chime in eventually and have better suggestions than I could provide.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well, you can stay in Midtown and check out all the real touristy things, i.e., Times Square and Broadway, Rockefeller Center, Radio City, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, the United Nations building, Madison Square Garden, Macy's and/or all the other fancy shops 5th Ave, Central Park, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Trump Tower, etc.

Or you can go down to the East Village and check out the funkier side of the City. St. Mark's Place is a great street to take a stroll on and this is where you will find the building that was photographed for the cover of Physical Graffiti. CBGBs used to stand around the block on Bowery. NYU and the infamous Washington Square Park is also in this area. If you are into jazz you might want to check out the famous Blue Note and/or the Village Vanguard. If you like comedy there is the famous Comedy Cellar on Macdougal St. Also, if you come down here check out Ray's and have a great slice of Pizza; Ray's has a few locations around the village, but really you shouldn't go wrong with any of the pizza joints in the village.

Just South of the East Village you can tour the art galleries of SOHO and just a few blocks from here you will find yourself in Little Italy which is right adjacent to Chinatown which is bordered by Canal St and where many New Yorkers go to find bargains in all sorts of things from jewelry to electronics. Just beware that with as many legit bargains you may find there may also be many cons to be made.

New York obviously is one of the older cities in the country and if you appreciate the older architecture you will definititely find it in the Village and the surrounding neighborhoods, basically anything below 14th Street. But of course most of the architecture in NY is pretty amazing.

Anyways, as you can see there are tons of things you can do in NY and one weekend probably won't give you enough time to do everything. However, it's pretty easy to get around by subway. The bus or taxis may get you stuck in traffic so I always prefer to use the great subway system; although you may want to opt for a taxi in the later evening or/early morning hours (keep in mind most bars in NY stay open 'til 4am).

Hope you have a great time and don't forget to bring a camera!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Like everyone else said, bring you walking shoes....and bring extra money. Things are obviously more expensive in the big city.
    a LOT more expensive. Unless you plan to dine at White Castle the whole time, meals are very pricey - but worth it. Most of the restaurants are really good.

As for foot travel, yeah. Bring the sneakers. Also remember you have the subway system. It's relatively safe in the daylight hours but kinda smelly at the stops. But it's fast, efficent, and there are stations on just about every block. The ticket stations also take plastic now so you don't have to whip out cash every time.

If you just wanna see the sites, just walk in any direction and you're bound to see 5 or 6 in an hour, but one thing you must NOT miss is a trip to the Empire State Building. Unless you're terrified of heights, the view of the city is breathtaking. I was fortunate enough to catch it at sundown last time i was there. Watching the buildings light up one by one by one......wow.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Great info guys

(ya gotta love someone from "The City of Brotherly Love" recommending a gay parade LOL)

I usually travel above ground in a town car or cab, figure I can sightsee more.

I'd recommend "Vong" if you like Thai food, and "Club Macanudo" if you enjoy cigars.

Have a great time!

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

1st one
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Ummm, I think this will be my first stop. Thanks for all the info guys. Yah, we won't be there for long, so I want to take in the best things. Any ideas where to stay?
    Becki

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Ummm, I think this will be my first stop. Thanks for all the info guys. Yah, we won't be there for long, so I want to take in the best things. Any ideas where to stay?
    give em some slack, rotharmyreserve.com has been down fer quite awhile, behind the scenes, i'm sure it looks like two monkeys trying to fuck a footbal...

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Any ideas where to stay?
    The wife and I stayed here http://www.comfortinnmanhattan.com/
    when we went to see David Gilmour at Radio City Music Hall... I picked it because it was reasonable, and close to RCMH (about an 8 minute walk)... Plenty to eat around, and close to everything else to look at when you start walking... Yes, the room was a bit small, BUT with everything going on, you'll only be in it to sleep... :-)
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

1st one
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found out now we have another girl coming with us that thinks she can get a time share. So, more money to spend on fun things!
    Becki