Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Amp Head Abuse?- 5150III Content

After the Hershey show, I figured Id stick around and watch the stage hands pack shit up till security kicked me out.
    Those guys know their shit. Neet job to have.
    Anyhoo. I was watching the guy clean up the amp stacks. He was taking the 5150III ampheads and just literaly dropping them into the tour case.
    I mean, he would put them into the slot about half way and then just drop them in. I could hear each one "thump" the bottom.
    I was just taking for granted that these were just dummy heads since Eddie only had three miked up. But I could see the tubes still in em. Then he did the same thing on Wolfs side.
    Now Im a guitar guy and not an amp dude, but this cant be good on the ampheads is it? I always took for granted that since tubes were like lightbulbs, you should use care.
    Ok amp dudes. Gimmy some input.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Its always been a habit of mine to handle any electronics with care. Add to that that you are dealing with tube amps, I'd be extra careful.

Admittedly, that sort of equipment has to be built to take a good deal of abuse, but I don't think that warrants dropping a head into its box.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    After the Hershey show, I figured Id stick around and watch the stage hands pack shit up till security kicked me out.
    Those guys know their shit. Neet job to have.
    Anyhoo. I was watching the guy clean up the amp stacks. He was taking the 5150III ampheads and just literaly dropping them into the tour case.
    I mean, he would put them into the slot about half way and then just drop them in. I could hear each one "thump" the bottom.
    I was just taking for granted that these were just dummy heads since Eddie only had three miked up. But I could see the tubes still in em. Then he did the same thing on Wolfs side.
    Now Im a guitar guy and not an amp dude, but this cant be good on the ampheads is it? I always took for granted that since tubes were like lightbulbs, you should use care.
    Ok amp dudes. Gimmy some input.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ed treats his shit the same way.

I mean I know he probably treats his guitars like shit. He probably throws them and drops them all the time. Hell we've seen this in his studio.

But nobody really knows for sure.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

The original 5150 heads were designed to withstand a lot of abuse and they have proven to be very roadworthy amps over the years. Eddie has described many times how hard he is on all his equipment, so I think when he is prototyping something that is one of the things he wants from his gear. The 5150 III can probably handle that kind of treatment and still work like new. I would never do that to my equipment, but I wouldn't be surprised if that amp is rugged enough take that kind of abuse. I remember a story back in one of the guitar magazines where Eddie grabs a bunch of guitars to go to a photoshoot, including FRANKIE, and he literally tosses them in to the back of his pickup truck and drives off.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    The original 5150 heads were designed to withstand a lot of abuse and they have proven to be very roadworthy amps over the years. Eddie has described many times how hard he is on all his equipment, so I think when he is prototyping something that is one of the things he wants from his gear. The 5150 III can probably handle that kind of treatment and still work like new. I would never do that to my equipment, but I wouldn't be surprised if that amp is rugged enough take that kind of abuse. I remember a story back in one of the guitar magazines where Eddie grabs a bunch of guitars to go to a photoshoot, including FRANKIE, and he literally tosses them in to the back of his pickup truck and drives off.
    I remember reading that interview. The reporter "hanging" with him at the time was shocked at the way Eddie just tossed them in the back and didn't think twice about it. Isn't that the same interview in which Ed bummed $5 bucks off the guy to buy some cigarettes?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Things to consider. . .

It's not like Ed's paying for these heads. They are given to him, and the ones you see on stage are really just staging. The amps he plays thru are in roadcases backstage.

So, it's no surprise that these get tossed around a little.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

"Jape Man" beat me to it. The heads on top of the 4 x 12 cabs on the stage are just there for show. I believe in 2004 as well as 2007 his live heads are in a rack off the side of the stage. The setup was something like this (going from memory on things I read a while ago)- three heads, one live out to his stage cabs, one for the speakers aimed at Al, and the other is a backup head. I think he only uses two of the lower 4 X 12 cabs on the stage, the ones that are mic'd. You'll see that he walks up to those when he is trying to get feedback. The upper cabs aren't used in order to protect hearing to some degree, but they sure look nice.

This stuff is definitely built to take abuse, whether the heads are being used or not. I have a Mesa/Boogie Mark III and the tray which holds the components is shock mounted. You can wiggle it up and down a bit and it's meant to absorb the impact if the amp is dropped, knocked over, etc. This amp is extremely rugged and it weighs a ton. I've read of these being knocked over and the worst thing they might need is a tube replacement. That being said, I don't have a spare couple grand sitting around to test their engineering.