Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Anyone Else Feel A Little Cheated?

I went to five shows this tour...Glendale, AZ; Los Angles, CA; Anaheim, CA (2x); and Las Vegas, NV.

I truly enjoyed the shows and was thrilled to see DLR again fronting my all-time favorite band. Like most of you I would have hoped it was a true reunion that included Michael but I was happy to get Dave and Eddie on the same stage again after all these years.

Now I'm reading (and seeing on YouTube) how much better Eddie is performing, which makes me VERY happy...but at the same time makes me feel a little cheated that I went to all these shows (spent lots of money) and didn't get to see Eddie at his best (especially Vegas where it was pretty hard to watch). Anyone else feel like this?

My hope is they do play one more time in Southern California before they end the tour so I too get to see Ed play to what he claimed at the press conference, which was "better than ever." They already played here five times if you include San Diego so I'm kind of doubting it. My fingers are crossed!

Mojo (Derek)
    www.fanhalen.com

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

how bout all the "other" places they did not go to, just be glad you got to see them 5 times
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fuck no. Even at Ft. Lauderdale, which was probably one of the worst shows of the tour, I had a great time, that's kinda what it's all about.

Do you feel cheated when you go to a football game and your team loses!? It's kinda all part of the bargain.

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    how bout all the "other" places they did not go to, just be glad you got to see them 5 times
    x's 2

(another Nashville, or even Memphis, hopeful)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My hope is that this will translate into another tour, if not a new cd to tour in support of. After suffering through 2004 and two postponements, it was worth it to see the St. Louis performance.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Cheated? Not really. I have seen and heard boots on this tour that were both much better and much worse than what I saw. All in all, on 2/16, Van Halen delivered the goods.

Now, IMO, if they do ever tour again, the current sound enforcement company needs to get the boot though.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazy levi View Post
    Fuck no. Even at Ft. Lauderdale, which was probably one of the worst shows of the tour, I had a great time, that's kinda what it's all about.

Do you feel cheated when you go to a football game and your team loses!? It's kinda all part of the bargain.
    I don't think so dude. It's more expensive to go to a concert for one. It's not a competition. You're not paying to see if they show up to play or not.....that's definitely not part of the bargain. You EXPECT them to play to their abilities. And if you see a crappy show you wouldn't be thinking......well they sucked tonight oh well. You'd be thinking..damn what a waste of money. It's true when you see a sports game that it's part of the bargain and you're not paying to see your team win you're paying to see them compete.....it just doesn't translate to concert going.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MOJODOJO View Post
    I went to five shows this tour...Glendale, AZ; Los Angles, CA; Anaheim, CA (2x); and Las Vegas, NV.

I truly enjoyed the shows and was thrilled to see DLR again fronting my all-time favorite band. Like most of you I would have hoped it was a true reunion that included Michael but I was happy to get Dave and Eddie on the same stage again after all these years.

Now I'm reading (and seeing on YouTube) how much better Eddie is performing, which makes me VERY happy...but at the same time makes me feel a little cheated that I went to all these shows (spent lots of money) and didn't get to see Eddie at his best (especially Vegas where it was pretty hard to watch). Anyone else feel like this?

My hope is they do play one more time in Southern California before they end the tour so I too get to see Ed play to what he claimed at the press conference, which was "better than ever." They already played here five times if you include San Diego so I'm kind of doubting it. My fingers are crossed!
    Several of the first leg shows were as proficient as current reviews. Also, the first leg got Little Guitars, the second leg is getting a cut version of Crossroads. The San Diego show was by most accounts one of the best on the tour. I saw it, Ed played fine, just as good as he's playing now. Anaheim a lot less so. Concerts are hit and miss....no band can be on top of everything night to night. I saw Rush last week and they were awesome, but they weren't as good as last July at the Hollywood Bowl. Do I feel cheated? Nah.

They're winding down, man. As you can see by the reviews, the current stretch of arenas are getting sparse attendance, due to the protracted postponements, undoubtedly. The hype is over. They'll end it in a couple weeks, and then they'll be done for a good long while, maybe forever. I'd love to eat these words if a new CD comes out with new material. Doubtful, but never say never with ol' Ed Bean Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,302 Times in 3,170 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I suggest a "Shitty Performance Rebate Program".

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985 View Post
    I don't think so dude. It's more expensive to go to a concert for one. It's not a competition. You're not paying to see if they show up to play or not.....that's definitely not part of the bargain. You EXPECT them to play to their abilities. And if you see a crappy show you wouldn't be thinking......well they sucked tonight oh well. You'd be thinking..damn what a waste of money. It's true when you see a sports game that it's part of the bargain and you're not paying to see your team win you're paying to see them compete.....it just doesn't translate to concert going.
    I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I had three complaints about my show; Ed couldn't nail the opening to Mean Street, Ed's "noodling" during his solo (including during Cathedral) and the sound company. Most of the show was the closest to a religious experience as I'm likely to ever have. I'm not a huge fan of Cradle on the album, but damn, that song just plain rocked the house. Add in a surprise like Mississippi Queen, which just added to the 'wow factor.' Not perfect beginning to end, but none-the-less a kick ass show.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MOJODOJO View Post

Mojo (Derek)
    www.fanhalen.com
    I feel cheated. I saw them at Nassau Coliseum and MSG. Ed did not play anywhere near to the way he's playing now. I was very upset at Nassau Coliseum with Ed's playing. Wrong notes, missing cues..... all the time smiling away like he didn't even realize how much fuckin' up he was doin.

Now he looks sober and concentrating on his playing like he should have been since the beginning of the tour. I feel cheated cause I paid the same price but got a differn't guy.

I play guitar so I might be critiqing his playing more than the average fan.

Nassau Coliseum examples
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=A_3tk8EB6ZY&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DUiZVtgHKuw&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Id0biD4ee5E&feature=related

Ed will make it up to me at MSG this month!!!!!
    Last edited by Hammer Guy; 05.19.08 at 12:20 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.25.17 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Default Not in the least bit

I have been to 4 shows so far , 3 in 2007 and one in May. i have one more to go. Its been an awesome ride reuniting with the Van Halen I loved and grew up with.

If it wasnt for the naysayers on this board and the Monday morning guitar players, I would have never known that I wasnt enjoying myself at the shows I saw in 2007 !

I loved every minute of every show I have seen. Going to be a bummer when its been over. Between looking forward to the shows, scrambling for better tickets , hoping the postponents were not permanent, it has been an awesome 9 months or so.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,302 Times in 3,170 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I saw them in Greensboro and twice in Atlanta and I got my moneys worth. Not one complaint except the night ended. I did feel cheated that a coke was 4.50 in ATLANTA, the birthplace of coke AND the world headquarters!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I saw an Eddie back in November that has been missing since 1995. He may have slipped up a bit or wasn't fully recovered yet then but it was a great show nonetheless.

He is playing even better than that now and is probably close to the Eddie of the OU812 Tour right now as far as his playing goes.

Ed's recovery has taken this long I am fine with it, most importantly is that he seems healthy right now. If he can continue this then the next time I have a chance to see him play it will something worth shelling out the money for.

I think we can thank Wolfie for the Eddie we are currently seeing, but Ed did the work himself and kudos to him.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Banned!
    Last Online

09.22.15 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Re

Dumb Thread!