Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Unfortunate accident leads to another broad lawsuit...

As a board member and parent of a player within my local little league program, I'm not sure what to think about this one...

However, Little League's player registration form which are signed by the parent(s) clearly states;

2. I/We know that participation in baseball or softball may result in serious injuries and protective equipment does not prevent all injuries to players, and do hereby waive, release, absolve, indemnify, and agree to hold harmless the local Little League, Little League Baseball, Incorporated, the organizers, sponsors, supervisors, participants, and persons transporting my/our child to and from activities from any claim arising out of any injury to my/our child whether the result of negligence or for any other cause."

WAYNE, N.J. — A New Jersey couple, whose son was struck in the chest with a line drive, is planning to sue the maker of a metal baseball bat used in the game.

Two years ago, Steven Domalewski was pitching when the ball slammed into his chest and stopped his heart. He was resuscitated but now has brain damage and is severely disabled.

The family contends metal baseball bats are inherently unsafe for youth games because the ball comes off them much faster than from wooden bats.

The lawsuit will also be filed against Little League Baseball and a sporting goods chain that sold the bat.

An attorney says Domalewski will need millions of dollars worth of medical care for the rest of his life.

The bat maker says while it sympathizes with Steven and his family, the bat is not to blame for the injury.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

When my boys started playing in 2006, I wanted them to use wooden bats as to me aluminum bats are heresy. However, I was told wooden bats weren't allowed as they could break. Which of course, if this league in Jersey was using wooden bats and one of them broke and a piece impaled this kid, the parents would probably sue for that as well...

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

That's rediculous, and the suit will never hold up in court.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me say that what happened is so unbelieveably sad as I can truly understand the pain the family must be going through as I would be devastated. My son started playing this year and I can't begin to imagine the horror of such an accident however, it was just that, an accident. Unless there have been extensive studies that prove there was a risk with using the metal bats that the manufacturer did not release to the public, it is just a freak accident. Have there been a lot of other accidents from the metal bats causing extensive injuries? If not, it is not the manufacturer's responsibility to pay the medical bills and care of the child. If there is a history, then by all means, go for it.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

I can't see a kid getting enough momentum to break a wooden bat. And yes, metal bats are heresy. I hate the 'clank' that they make when the batter makes contact.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The thing about aluminum bats is they are cheap, compared to the construction costs of wooden bats. This is why they are used in NCAA games. The overall quality has improved somewhat over the years, yet...I still vividly recall the summer evening when one of these abominations shattered in my hands. It literally desintegrated above my grip after I swung and connected with a smoking fast-ball. The fact that I was swinging away more than likely saved me from any serious injury, as the motion carried the fragments outward through centrifugal force, yet I still received a few cuts and gashes here and there about my neck and forearms.

And let's face it: Even that cool gang in "The Warriors" used wooden bats. Now if even gang-members avoid the use of the god-forsaken things...
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

First, I'm not saying this suit has any merit at all. It's tragic, but not sure there's true legal negligence here.

That said, there have been plenty of studies that aluminum bats are dangerous, the ball does come off at some frightening speeds. And while the younger you are, the lower the speed, I'd also argue the less quickly you'll react in the field, and the more fragile you might be. However, requiring HS's and Little Leagues to buy wood isn't the answer, there isn't the money available. Because of the breakage factor, you go through too many.

What IS the answer is something they could and should have done years ago, and that's tone the bat down. They can make metal bats that react in a similar fashion to wood as far as ball speed goes, but they don't. That could be something that allows a lawsuit such as this to go forward - the technology exists to prevent this, but nobody wanted to go through the time/expense to make it prevalent.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Yes, this is a shame but suing the makers of the bat?

In sports there are injuries. What, is the world supposed to wrap the young up so they never get hurt? It's a fact of life. Anything that involves physical movement may result in injury. I can't count the amount of sports injuries I witnessed and suffered at school. Shit, was I supposed to sue the guy who whacked me with a hockey stick? And the manufacturers?

The idea of suing the makers of the bat is akin to suing a car maker whose product happened to be driven by the guy that ran into you.

Sheer farce.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

this can't hold up in court but I feel terribly for the family. I'm not too familiar with little league baseball in the States, but aren't the leagues insured for this type of thing. I know in Canada that our minor league hockey leagues is - granted the threat of injury in hockey would be much higher.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Injuries and deaths happen in sports. That's just life.

There are probably more constructive and healthy ways for the family to deal with their tragedy than litigation.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    There are probably more constructive and healthy ways for the family to deal with their tragedy than litigation.
    Fuck'n A - Hear, hear!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post

The idea of suing the makers of the bat is akin to suing a car maker whose product happened to be driven by the guy that ran into you.
    I'm sure this has happened somewhere here in the Litigious States of America.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Like I said, I'm not advocating for this suit. But just remember - most of the safety measures we have in place today were the result of someone going against the grain to fight something that to them didn't seem right, despite it being an acceptable practice of its day. Cars are safer, factories are safer, food is safer, toys are safer, all because someone at some point said "hey, this tragedy could have been prevented, something isn't right here" - sometimes that's done via legislation, sometimes via lawsuits.

Like I said - the technology to alleviate some of this risk exists, but at a cost. Now it's up to society to weigh the cost of implementing this technology against the cost of a child's life, and whatever future lives it may impact. The bat manufacturer, along with whatever associations govern the different baseball leagues out there using aluminum, already did this calculation, and decided to role with the existing technology. This lawsuit will tell them if they were right.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

There was a story last year on Real Sports that dealt with the "come-backers" that pitchers have to deal with off aluminum bats. The argument being due to the speed at the college level of the ball coming off the bat with aluminum compared to wood, the pitcher doesn't have as much time to react, resulting in serious injuries.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...