Reviews only.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em-all eras.
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

09.04.15 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

Just got home, 1:20am, and boy am i stoked! I'll give a review tomorrow night, but i'll say this....Eddie Van Halen was killin' on the guitar. As a fan for many years, and as a guitarist, i can say that tonight was a showcase of everything i've always loved about Ed's playing. He was clean, sharp, and nailed his fast licks to a T. He was throwing fills in like the old days, and seemed really happy/healthy. He's in a zone people...the recent reviews are certainly accurate. More later!
    SIMPLY SAID....GOD IS ED!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Small...small....small

Let me start this out by saying that I shelled out WAY too much coin for this show. Most of it from my own stupidity.
    I shelled out $166 bucks for a 15th row ticket. Great seat though.
    I had already bought a 26th row ticket for the same price and wanted to sell it at the concert. I could barely give the fucking thing away. Partly cause it was a single seat. But they were sellin tickets still at the box office. Not even a sell out.
    Anouther 60 bucks in gas. Shirt for the wife. $40
    I dont even wanna tally it up. So Im gonna forget it.
    Anyhoo. I saw the Oct 1st show in Philly. Unforgetable.
    The show at Hershey was a smaller venue. Shorter show (no Little Guitars amoung others I have yet to figure out). Smaller amp stack. Short solo. Smaller crowd.
    But the same huge pricetag!
    The show was great though. Wolfgangs growin bigger balls. Roth looks like he's gonna have a heart attack everytime he screams. Eddie playing was awesome. Relaxed and tight. There was no "Eddie's side" of the stage. He spent most of his time in front of Alex.
    The guitars (which is what I look at most) he played were his cream Wolfgang. And one tune with a, what looked like, a bare quilt top. THATS IT!
    Oh. I cant forget the priceless Charvels. A red with thick white stripes and a Bumblebee. One tune a peice. No Fender Frankenstrat at all. Unfuckingbelivable.
    The coolest parts for me was when Roth would walk around the ring in the crowd. I had the row right along it. Just something wild about seein em within reach like that. Wolfgang took a stroll too and gave the chick next to me his wristband.
    So, other then the resentment that it cost so much, it was a great show. Shit. It was Van Halen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I just got in a short while ago. I was in the third row from the stage (inside the ramp), seat 8, which was just right of center stage. Ed was almost directly in front of me for much of the show, and as topjimmy said Ed was on fire. I've been a fan since '78 (saw them open for Black Sabbath, among other DLR-fronted VH shows back in the day) and a guitarist since '76, and when he's playing like this I question my entire career path into the IT field back in the 1980's. LOL Whatever he did on the break to turn himself around 180 degrees, I need to do the same freakin' thing!! (we all do)

Anyway, I want to comment on his guitar tone. I was perhaps 25 feet directly in front of his mic'd 5150 cabs (the ones he's actually playing through) and his tone was killer. I took out my 'Hearos' chambered ear plugs after the first few songs since the volume in front of the stage was quite tolerable. At the 10/1 Philly show (from the back corner of the arena however) and in many of the youtube clips I thought that his tone was quite nasal, like the wah was left partially engaged. It was not like that at all right in front of his cabs- his tone had balls, with plenty of low and mid frequency punch, just the right amount of gain/crunch, and the squealing pinch harmonics still cut through perfectly.

I studied Wolfie quite a bit up close and IMHO he is playing and singing every note. His bass playing style can throw people because he was a (six string) guitarist before playing the bass. He uses a pick and appears to be strumming much of the time but he is actually hitting individual notes, and there are times he is playing chords. I'd say he needs a lot more practice reaching the crowd when throwing picks- he might have reached the front row 50% of the time. Ed on the other hand could easily reach the crowd- one of the picks he threw just before a tapped portion of Eruption was picked up by a girl right in front of me.

For the other guitarists out there- did you happen to notice that the stage lights were very low for each several second pick slide flanger blast effect on And The Cradle Will Rock. I swear Ed wasn't even touching his guitar at these brief parts during the middle of that song. Either that several second flanger blast is sequenced on a foot switch he hits, or he does one short pick slide and uses delay to repeat it six more times along with the flanger. Being that close I was impressed that he kept clicking his flanger on and off at the correct intervals during Unchained. I believe he was just leaving it engaged earlier in the tour. He would rest the front of his foot on the leading edge of the pedal board and stomp it on and off using his heel.

I took about 80 pics using my Sony Cyber-shot and I'll have to sort through those in a day or two. I'm going to head into the office in about eight more hours.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 2,082 Times in 675 Posts

Van Halen still knows how to turn up heat
    Monday, May 19, 2008
    BY BARRY FOX

With some shows postponed twice, Eddie Van Halen's undisclosed medical condition and the band's volatile history, the Van Halen tour appeared to be a disaster waiting to happen.

It still might be, but Sunday night at the Giant Center, all that was forgotten.

As lead singer David Lee Roth said early in the show, "Better later then never."

It was worth the wait.

Eddie Van Halen -- a 53-year-old cancer survivor who's had hip replacement surgery and various chemical addictions -- looked and sounded healthy while spanning the full range of guitar virtuosity. Whether using a deft touch or a loud, bombastic flurry, Van Halen had a pleased-with-himself grin for more than two hours.

And for much of that time, he, Roth, drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie's 17-year-old son, rolled back the clock to the band's glory days.

"You Really Got Me," "Runnin' With the Devil" and "Romeo Delight" led into "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" with an exchange between Eddie and Roth that careened from thundering to delicate to bluesy while weaving in Robert Johnson's "Crossroads."

"Beautiful Girls" and "Dance The Night Away" preceded the peak of the show, "Everybody Wants Some."

Firing on all cylinders -- Eddie's screaming guitar work, Alex and Wolfgang pounding out the tribal rhythm, Roth's "liking the way the line runs up the back of your stockings" -- it was Van Halen at its best.

They played on a stage with ramps and a runway that formed an S that surrounded the first seven rows. With columns of lights, colored laser beams shooting around the arena, a massive video screen and confetti cascading down to end the show on "Jump," it was appropriate rock excess.

Of course, there were the required rock guitar and drum solos by the Van Halen brothers. Late in the show Eddie was again impressive alone on stage for a long, spacy solo flight into "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love."

But through the band's litany of hits -- "So This Is Love?" "Pretty Woman" "Unchained," "I'll Wait," "Hot For Teacher," "Jamie's Cryin'" -- Roth's vocals at times sounded thin and he was not as agile as Eddie, Alex or Wolfgang.

In between serving as the show's ringmaster (complete with red and yellow top hats) and his usual kicks, twirls and crotch grabbing, Roth also fumbled the lyrics on the "Cradle Will Rock."

However, Roth had his moments, too, in particular on "Ice Cream Man" playing the acoustic guitar and telling stories about growing up in Pasadena, Calif.

All this took place before a surprisingly small crowd. Large sections all around the arena were empty.

But for those in attendance, it was surely a memorable evening.

Rock reunions generally fall into two categories -- sad nostalgia or epic reminders of what used to be.

Van Halen are proving that the chemistry they had 25 years ago is still as explosive and exciting as ever.

BARRY FOX: 255-8225 or bfox@patriot-news.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.21.12 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    For the other guitarists out there- did you happen to notice that the stage lights were very low for each several second pick slide flanger blast effect on And The Cradle Will Rock. I swear Ed wasn't even touching his guitar at these brief parts during the middle of that song. Either that several second flanger blast is sequenced on a foot switch he hits, or he does one short pick slide and uses delay to repeat it six more times along with the flanger.
    I noticed the same thing in Milwaukee.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Sounds like another awesome show!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.19.08 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was my third show on the tour; saw the 1st Philly show last October and the Meadowlands show last November. This was my favorite of the 3, the sound was MUCH better (compared to that 1st Philly show which was terrible!) and we had had awesome seats (20th row on the floor).

From where we were the crowd seemed to be really into it. Although you could tell the show wasn't sold out, it seemed pretty full. Wolfie still seems a little out of place, there's no comparison to the stage presence of Michael Anthony.

The show seemed a little shorter than the other 2, no Little Guitars??!!

Last Online

10.19.10 @ 04:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DAMMIT! I knew I should have went to Hershey. I went to the IZOD Center last November and it was OK. Oh well. Going to see Sammy on friday.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.10.15 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE=Ron4406;991034]

The guitars (which is what I look at most) he played were his cream Wolfgang. And one tune with a, what looked like, a bare quilt top. THATS IT!
    Oh. I cant forget the priceless Charvels. A red with thick white stripes and a Bumblebee. One tune a peice. No Fender Frankenstrat at all. Unfuckingbelivable.

I really can't belive Eddie did not play a Fender Frankenstrat and when he does it is usually for one song. No one ever says anything about this but how does the guy avoid using his trademark all of the time. If there is anything that annoys me on this tour that would be the one thing.
    Anyway, off to show #5 from this tour on Friday.

Favorite VH Album

Yeah boooooooy
    Favorite VH Song

Yeah boooooooy
    Last Online

04.23.14 @ 08:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    For the other guitarists out there- did you happen to notice that the stage lights were very low for each several second pick slide flanger blast effect on And The Cradle Will Rock. I swear Ed wasn't even touching his guitar at these brief parts during the middle of that song.
    The same guy who plays the keyboard is playing that part....

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tahoewabo View Post
    DAMMIT! I knew I should have went to Hershey. I went to the IZOD Center last November and it was OK. Oh well. Going to see Sammy on friday.
    Have fun watching Ronald McDonald.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

Here is my review. I have been to 7 shows, but have always been too lazy to write a review (plus, I don't remember 1/2 of Baltimore). Here it goes:

Best show of the tour. I told my fiancee before the gig, no cocktails, no tailgating, I am just going to go and watch. I did. I am glad.

(1) Seats were the worst I have had the whole tour in terms of being close to the band. However, I had a great angle, and because Hershey rock fans are lame (everyone in the section next to mine sat the entire show), I had an unobstructed view.

(2) Eddie sounded great - as always on the second leg. However, his continuous smile, even when DLR gave long rants, gave me hope that things MAY stick.

(3) Al is the man. I never get tired of the drum solo.

(4) Wolfie's trasnformation has been fun to watch. He was pretty reserved during the first leg. But he has looked totally cool on this leg. Leaving the MA debate aside, I have no issue with him being in Van Halen.

(5) Dave kicked ass the entire show. His voice sounded great. Good audience interaction. You can tell that he wants the good times to continue, and will do what it takes to make it happen.

(6) Note to Hershey: it is a rock concert Section 212. I am going to stand for the entire show. Get over it. If you want to plant your fat mommy ass in a seat for the entire gig, go see Barry Manilow or Gordon Lightfoot. Second, rock concerts have at least one encore and it was only 10:25 pm, I guess mommy ass sitting behind me didn't want to pay for a babysitter.
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Have fun watching Ronald McDonald.
    Reviews only, asshole
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!