Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Wildlife Populations Plummeting

Still think humans aren't significantly destroying the natural world?

From BBC News - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7403989.stm

Wildlife populations 'plummeting'

Between a quarter and a third of the world's wildlife has been lost since 1970, according to data compiled by the Zoological Society of London.

Populations of land-based species fell by 25%, marine by 28% and freshwater by 29%, it says.

Humans are wiping out about 1% of all other species every year, and one of the "great extinction episodes" in the Earth's history is under way, it says.

Pollution, farming and urban expansion, over-fishing and hunting are blamed.

River dolphin

The Living Planet Index, compiled by the society in partnership with the wildlife group WWF, tracks the fortunes of more than 1,400 species of fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals, using scientific publications and online databases.

It said numbers had declined by 27% in the 35 years from 1970 to 2005.

Some of the worst hit are marine species which saw their numbers plummet by 28% in just 10 years, between 1995 and 2005.

Populations of ocean birds have fallen by 30% since the mid 1990s, while land-based populations have dropped by 25%.

Reduced biodiversity means millions of people face a future where food supplies are more vulnerable to pests and disease and where water is in irregular or short supply
    James Leape
    Director general, WWF UK

Among the creatures most seriously affected have been African antelopes, swordfish and hammerhead sharks.

Another, the baiji - or Yangtze River Dolphin - may have been lost altogether.

The findings were released ahead of a meeting of the Convention on Biodiversity in the German city of Bonn.

The convention was signed in 1992 with the aim of stabilising the loss of species. In 2002, member states pledged to achieve a "significant reduction" in the current rate of biodiversity loss by 2010.

But the Zoological Society said governments had since failed to put in place policies necessary to achieve that goal.

It said that while species' decline does appear to have flattened off in recent years, it is "very unlikely" that the 2010 target will be reached.

Impact on humans

The WWF said that over the next 30 years, climate change was also expected to become a significant threat to species.
    Topi antelope in Africa
    Land-based species, such as African antelopes, have fallen by 25%

Colin Butfield, head of campaigns at WWF UK, said: "Biodiversity underpins the health of the planet and has a direct impact on all our lives, so it is alarming that despite an increased awareness of environmental issues we continue to see a downward trend."

The charity also warned that a failure to stop biodiversity loss would have a direct impact on humans.

Director general James Leape said: "Reduced biodiversity means millions of people face a future where food supplies are more vulnerable to pests and disease and where water is in irregular or short supply.

"No-one can escape the impact of biodiversity loss because reduced global diversity translates quite clearly into fewer new medicines, greater vulnerability to natural disasters and greater effects from global warming."

The WWF is calling on governments meeting in Bonn to honour their commitments to put in place effective protected areas for wildlife and to adopt a target to achieve net annual zero deforestation by 2020.

###
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    Director general James Leape said:

"No-one can escape the impact of biodiversity loss because reduced global diversity translates quite clearly into fewer new medicines, greater vulnerability to natural disasters and greater effects from global warming."
    I clearly didn't know that herds of African antilopes could prevent Burma cyclone disaster.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You've clearly made a misunderstanding.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Hammerhead sharks?! At least we still have Dave's song. Thank god.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I always thought hammerhead sharks sucked anyway.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    Still think humans aren't significantly destroying the natural world?

Pollution, farming and urban expansion, over-fishing and hunting are blamed.

My family has been farming and ranching since the late 1800's early 1900's. It has put food on our families table for many generations. And obviously put food on other families table's as well.

I never have understood the hatred towards Farmer's and ranchers that the media and the huggers like to push.

Now the hunting thing is crazy. I'll put it in small terms. I "visit" a place here in Texas that doesn't allow ANY type of hunting. 20 plus THOUSAND acre ranch. That's big for you city types. The over population of deer and hogs is mind blowing. The hogs are one thing. They over come, they adapt. They have no natural predator. The herds keep getting bigger and bigger. They run everything off. The deer on the other hand. Fucking sad. Real sad. Brutal nasty things we've seen there. Too many deer. Weak gene lines breed even weaker deer. Sick and weakly all around. Therefore if one wants to have nice healthy deer running around on his or her place, one has to weed out the unhealthy ones. Otherwise you have sick skinny malnourished deer overflowing. It's sad for the deer. Now multiply that by 10,000 over and over again and you fuck the deer up.

And I'm about animals and the wildlife etc. I'm a huge supporter of said things. But Goddamn, we need a balance here. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

hasnt there been a re-introduction of wolves and other natural predators in u.s. national parks to try and equal out the problem of over population and its effects on the local wildlife and habitat?
    plus wildlife over population only strengthens the need for hunting, obviously closly monitored and regulated so we dont over hunt and decimate the population
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Wow. What a brutal example of biased reporting gone wild.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post

I never have understood the hatred towards Farmer's and ranchers that the media and the huggers like to push.
    It's referring more to large scale industrial farming, enormous corporate-owned monocrops that stretch across thousands of acres. That's the really destructive thing. Not small family farms, so much.