Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Five Weeks To Go Until Semester Ends (Some Thoughts)

So I can see the finish line for my first semester back in school and all is well. I'm getting "A"s in Marine Science and Communications while Spanish is kicking my ass ( I should pass it though). I wrote before that it has been 23 years or so since I last sat in a college classroom and most of the time I'm the oldest person in the room (which includes the professor in Spanish). I paid for schoolk with my VISA card and I sucked it up and climbed out of bed five days a week at 06:00am after five hours of sleep weekly since February.
    I drive 18 miles to school, which is two blocks from where I work and often I will nap for an hour before I clock in to my eight hour shift.

My mother almost died seven weeks ago from pnuemonia and while she's now home and relatively okay she is on oxegen when she sleeps.

In spite of this I haven't missed a day of class and have only been late to class twice and each of those times was under five minutes. Now...that said... I have a small rant...

What the fuck is wrong with 20+ year-olds?

How hard is it to get your ass into class and into your seat before class starts? I didn't spend $300 to have my education interrupted by your thoughtless doltery.

Guess what, Scooter? You are considered a grown up now. Not only does that mean you show up on time but you also have to follow the rules. You read that right, FOLLOW-THE-RULES. The state does not OWE you an education after highschool.

Speaking of highschool, you are not in it any more and you should lose the highschool mind-set ASAP. Breaking the rules was "Cool" in high school, it was okay to hate your teacher and cut class in highschool but not here. Why? Because you DO NOT HAVE TO BE HERE. You can drop the class if you don't like your teacher in Junior College. You are not proving anything to anybody by showing up late and then disrupting class, in fact everyone thinks that you are a douche and hopes you die. If you don't like the class you can leave, no big deal.

What is the problem with the "No Cell Phones/Texting" rule in class. I don't get it. You know that the teacher is going to mark you down for using them or when it rings so why can't you remember to turn them off? Then when the teacher catches you and tells you to put it away you get an attitude? Once again, you don't need to be here and you are free to leave.

Finally, every professor on the first day of class tells you that five unexcused absences will result in a drop. So why are your buddies so shocked when they walk into the class after they've skipped it for six( even seven times) and are told that they've been dropped? No, the teacher isn' going to call you because it's not his job. You are a grown up and it's now your responsibilty to follow through on dropping or just paying attention to the whole "Drop after five absences" thing.

I need to explain that when I was a kid I was a lousy student. I dropped a ton of classes and I didn't take school seriously at all. However, I never disrupted class and I sure as hell never spoke back to a professor. There are a lot of great young people that I sit in class with every day but even many of them don't seem to understand why they cannot leave their phones on even just to text. There is also a lack of basic respect for their fellow students that belies the cell phone problem. I'm not the only one who is trying to improve my life (and my income), there are a suprising number of young, single mothers who are also behind the eightball and those interruptions are hurting them as well.

On the flip side, it seems that whenever the temperature goes above 75 that half the co-eds don't bother to wear a bra. I'm totally cool with this.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    I'm not the only one who is trying to improve my life (and my income), there are a suprising number of young, single mothers who are also behind the eightball and those interruptions are hurting them as well.
    Are there no stripper clubs in your neck of the woods?

That's gotta be the hardest part of trying to teach these days - cell phones, mp3 players coming into the classroom. I'm not sure how you can effectively police that. Treat the classroom door like security at the airport and have everyone empty their pockets as they enter and also search their backpacks?

Good for you trying to improve your lot in life, by the way.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I have to hand it to you...going back to college after 23 years while still working? Wheww!! you're tapping into some kind of inner strength there!

I've thought of going back and finishing my master's degree, but the thought of being the oldest person in the class and dealing with the "youngsters" gives me pause.

When I last took graduate classes there were a lot of group projects and if that is still the case, i don't know if I could tolerate working with the kiddies when my work is being graded (if that makes any sense)

I raised one to adulthood and can't see getting into straightening out anyone else's parenting mistakes!

My brother is in higher education (on the administration end of it), and I have heard him complain of the same things you are talking about...kids who don't take it seriously (a problem as old as mankind) and kids who can't seem to make the transtition to adult hood.

But he also sees a whole new thing lately...kids who are so distracted and have the attention span and patience of a gnat. Kids (and adults) who can't respect any kind of authority and students who just don't get the "business dress" concept and show up as though dressed for clubbing.

I don't think my brother is long for the education world...and as much as I'd like to go back and finish the unfinished, it would really have to be an exceptional situation for me to do so.

Maybe I'll give it a try if my plan to sell all my worldly goods and take a middleaged "rumspringa" come to fruition!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got my degree in Respiratory Therapy, after 2 yrs of college. After working for several yrs I decided to get my teaching certificate in health, physical ed, and community wellness. I was in my mid 20's when I went back. there were a few older students, not many. I was surprised, at the time, how immature the younger kids were. I was married and during my last 2 semesters I was pregnant. (which was great fun in my teaching fundamentals of baseball, basketball and tennis classes!)

I am proud to announce that my tennis partner, who was a scholarship baseball player, and I won doubles tennis! I was 7 months pregnant! *He was not happy that I was his partner either, asshole!*

I tried to never have group projects with the 18-20 yr olds, I liked to group with the adults mainly because we got it done and it was quality work!

So hang in there Ax, be proud of your accomplishments, they are many. Take care of your family and all will be good. And just remember the kids listening to music, texting ect... will have very poor grades, you won't.

Have you seen Axxman's grades???????????
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have next semester planned out with Marine Technology, Geology and Spanish 1B. I spent a lot of time talking to the Marine Technologies teacher and I got him excited with proposed designs for ROVs. Since I worked in a toy store all those years I have a mind for that kind of thing.

Most of the kids are just fine, I did a study group with some kids in the Marine Science class and it wasn't wierd at all. There were some students who were older than I am at first but they've all dropped out. In fact, one of the biggest cry-babies is a lady in her 60s who's taking Spanish 2B. She was all bent out of shape one morning because my professor had marked off her paper for gramatical mistakes. Come on, lady, that's kinda the whole point of writing a paper and submitting it to the teacher for a grade because you're taking the class to LEARN TO CONVERSE IN SPANISH.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300