Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Default Muslim threats force out disabled teacher with dog

Muslim threats force out disabled teacher with dog
    Islamic students reportedly taunted 'unclean' animal

A Muslim high school student's intolerance for a service dog needed by a student teacher with a disability has reportedly prompted the student teacher to abandon the last 10 hours of his scheduled assignment at Technical High School in St. Cloud, Minn.

The St. Cloud Times online said the situation developed with student teacher Tyler Hurd, 23, of Mahtomedi, who hopes to teach special education.

He's a student at St. Cloud State University, and was assigned to Technical High School in the St. Cloud district for his 50 hours of student teaching, and took with him his service dog, Emmitt.

The newspaper said Hurd needs a service dog because of a childhood injury that leaves him with seizures, sometimes happening as often as weekly. The black lab is trained to protect Hurd when he has a seizure.

The school district told the newspaper it wasn't really a threat.

"I think it was a misunderstanding where we didn't really prepare either side for possible implications," Julia Espe, curriculum director for the public schools, said.

Hurd, however, reported a student threatened to kill his dog. He said the threat came from a Somali student who is Muslim. Minnesota has a large Somali population, mostly Muslim, and they have been involved in issues over their religion in the past.

At the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport, many taxi drivers are Somali Muslims and they have raised objections to carrying passengers with liquor. Airport officials finally threatened to remove from the cab drivers' line waiting for fares anyone who refused a passenger over the issue.

WND also has reported on the dispute over a taxpayer-funded school in a Minneapolis suburb serving mostly Somali Muslim students and accusations that Islam is being taught at the public facility.

Islam forbids its adherents from touching dogs.

Hurd earlier spent some time student teaching at Talahi Community School, where he said his experience was good. He told the newspaper Somali students there even petted his dog, although they used paper to keep their hands from actually making physical contact.

But at Tech, Hurd reported, students taunted his dog, and he left when he was told a student threatened the animal.

University officials said they waived the remaining 10 hours of work that Hurd was supposed to have finished.

"We came up with a solution because I felt threatened by it," Hurd told the newspaper.

A meeting was set up involving Kate Steffens, the dean of education at St. Cloud State, and assistant principal Lori Lockhart of Tech, in order to avoid future problems.

"We certainly welcome (Hurd) in our district, and we hope we can get this all resolved so he feels welcome and his dog is welcome," Espe said.

The college places about 1,000 students in 240 regional schools to help them get ready for careers in teaching.

On the newspaper's forum, "scorpionthoughts" said: "The last time I checked this is the United States of America!!!!! So many people are getting shipped over here and expect to be treated like they and their beliefs are better . If you don't like the way things are in this country stay in your own place of origin!!!"

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

The last line says it all....................

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr5115 View Post
    The last line says it all....................
    No doubt. What a fucking joke...Try going to Somali and demanding your religious beliefs be accepted/respected.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

"On the newspaper's forum, "scorpionthoughts" said: "The last time I checked this is the United States of America!!!!! So many people are getting shipped over here and expect to be treated like they and their beliefs are better …. If you don't like the way things are in this country – stay in your own … place of origin!!!"

nail on the fucking head
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Seems like the usual. Some of the students being open, even petting the dog, and then a few arseholes threatening it.
    As for the taxi drivers, the same again.

Tolerance has never been a particularly common human trait. I remember reading about Jimi Hendrix being refused taxis because he was black or dressed effeminately.

These things take time I guess and will never be totally resolved.

And whilst I wholeheartedly agree that if you move to a foreign land you should certainly abide by it's laws and try as much as possible to integrate, learn the language, respect it's customs, there is always room for multi-world views, whether they be religious or otherwise.

It's just when you get obvious wankers, like these students, who believe they can act in this manner and hide behind the cloak of religion, it does a disservice to everyone.

I used to teach at a private language school that had a high intake from the middle east. I can honestly say that only one of these students had offensive aggressive views. The school made accomodation for the muslims and provided a small room where they could pray and if pork was on the menu in the cafe it was always seperated from the other food. In turn, these students made a lot of effort to learn and understand about England and it's culture. It's called being polite.

A typical story I witnessed first hand:
    A muslim student was having his hair braided and the hairdresser brought some sandwiches for him for the long job at hand.
    He tasted the sandwich and smiled, said he liked it and what was it?
    "pork" replied the hairdresser.
    "oops, I can't eat this" he laughed and then thanked the lady anyway.

This is the kind of reaction of most decent people of most faiths. We just get to hear about the horror stories such as this incident at the college.
    I have been snubbed by christians when I declined an invitation to go with them to church. I have been called stupid when I told a muslim I didn't understand the extreme attitudes towards homosexuality in most arab states....and so on.

Just rambling a bit here I guess. Just that such selective journalism tends to perpetrate bad imagery of most people from other cultures than our own. The big problem is that this bad imagery becomes exaggerated and people's reactions become more extreme in defence and attack.

I still agree with the above comments though. If you really hate the country that much, perhaps you shouldn't be living in it.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just as is the case many times with Christianity, and all other religions, this is just another stupid fucking example of re-ligion butting heads with re-ality.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah.

the next 1000 years are going to be interesting. most of the worlds cults have been effectively defanged. this is the last one remaining that needs to be modified to allow it to be compatible with a pluralistic world.

it's going to be interesting to watch if the world or islam wins.