Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Need Help - 5150 II Power Tubes

I'm having an issue with my 5150 II where I will begin a show and everything is running fine and then perhaps 15-minutes to 30-minutes in my 5150 II amp volume will be cut down by 25%. I still have all the gain but the volume is cut.

My stage volume is set at about 2.5. After the volume cuts I turn the amp up to about 4 and I'm back with all the volume and gain.

My question, is this a power tube issue? Perhaps one is cutting out once hot?

If it is, do I need to replace all four 6L6GC tubes as a set or can I just replace the bad one? Does anyone have recommendations on which power tubes I should buy that perform well in this amp?

Thank you very much for your help!

-Derek
    www.fanhalen.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd go ahead and replace em all.
    I use JJ tubes in my 5150 and I like em alot.

BTW, cool website!
    Wish I was a little closer so I could check you guys out.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I'd go ahead and replace em all.
    I use JJ tubes in my 5150 and I like em alot.

BTW, cool website!
    Wish I was a little closer so I could check you guys out.
    Do the tubes all need to be "matched"?

Also, thanks for the compliment!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MOJODOJO View Post
    Do the tubes all need to be "matched"?

Also, thanks for the compliment!

I'm honestly not an "amp" guy, so I honestly can't answer that.
    Common sense would dictate "yes", especially since there is no bias adjustment, but I'd ask an amp tech just to be on the safe side.

Found something you may find interesting here ...
    http://www.wolfgangregistry.com/5150...150-tubes.html

Good luck!

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

replace them all and get matched sets. the 5150 2 has a bias control but its still biased cold to allow for a quick tube change. if anyone who owns these amps know that buzzy sound people complain about is at bedroom levels. start cranking the volume and it goes away. they werent designed to run quite and ed didnt care what it sounded like below 5. i use to use jj's but have in the last few yrs switched to winged c's. they reproduce that old sylvania sound. they sound remarkable. the original 5150's shipped with sylvania's until the supply ran out hince the comparison between block letter and sig heads. i also use tungsol reissue preamp tubes, great combo. these tubes are gonna be a bit more. about 50 bucks for a matched set of power tubes so 100 bucks in power tubes but imo my tone and yours shouldnt have a price tag. hope this helps.

http://thetubestore.com/6l6gc.html

http://thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    replace them all and get matched sets. the 5150 2 has a bias control but its still biased cold to allow for a quick tube change. if anyone who owns these amps know that buzzy sound people complain about is at bedroom levels. start cranking the volume and it goes away. they werent designed to run quite and ed didnt care what it sounded like below 5. i use to use jj's but have in the last few yrs switched to winged c's. they reproduce that old sylvania sound. they sound remarkable. the original 5150's shipped with sylvania's until the supply ran out hince the comparison between block letter and sig heads. i also use tungsol reissue preamp tubes, great combo. these tubes are gonna be a bit more. about 50 bucks for a matched set of power tubes so 100 bucks in power tubes but imo my tone and yours shouldnt have a price tag. hope this helps.

Thank you J Alexander.

Can I get Matched sets or do they need to be Matched quad?

-Derek

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post

Thanks!
    What took you so long?

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Thanks!
    What took you so long?
    lol dino. yeah you can get matched quads. if you order 2 sets they will be mathced quads.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm also not an amp expert at all, but I've been playing the 5150s for many years now. It's been my experience and most people will tell you to replace all your power tubes at once. You want them to all draw power evenly, and if they're at different levels of "wear" it might affect amp performance. (Although I once recorded a solo while two of my tubes were dying, and the tone was WICKED!)

Throughout the many discussions there have been here about tubes, most have agreed Groove Tubes and Sovtek are NOT good with the 5150s. JJ and Electro-Harmonix are generally cited as being excellent.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I've had nothing but terrible experiences with Sovteks in my 5150. I never got more than 6 months out of any Sovtek power tube I tried, and I regularly had issues with volume drops and the amp not sounding right, like I was suddenly playing under water. I switched to Electro-Harmonix and they are great. They've been in my pre and power sections for about a year now without a single issue and they sound great.

I'm also not an amp expert, but I don't see the point of paying all that money for matched sets. It's my understanding that once you pop them in, crank them up, carry the amp head around and knock it about a bit, then the tubes are going to be slightly off again anyway, so unless you are really anal about your tubes and how they are biased, the tubes don't stay matched for long. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't get the matched tube thing.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went ahead and ordered four matched JJ's for $70 including shipping. Thanks for everyone's help!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1 and Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All the one's with Ed on!
    Last Online

10.07.13 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MOJODOJO View Post
    I went ahead and ordered four matched JJ's for $70 including shipping. Thanks for everyone's help!
    Derek, I took an amp to be repaired today by an amp tech that does most of the north west guitar stores in the UK and I mentioned the problem you've been getting. He told me that he's had 3 or 4 5150's in with the same problem and said it's to do with the send and return loop, not a tube issue! Looks like I'm too late with the tubes, but if you want his email addy pm me.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think I will send a quick email to Peavey Support to see what they think... they've always been very helpful.

I will let you know what they say.

Thanks!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

As a side note... I bought my 5150 II head used, and just as a "reconditioning" move I opted to replace all the pre-amp tubes a few months after getting it. I went with Electro-Harmonix tubes since I get them at dealer cost. It was truly amazing the difference from the used originals; the tone got louder, warmer, rounder, and just generally better. I've been very happy with EH tubes in my 5150s.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by decatone View Post
    Derek, I took an amp to be repaired today by an amp tech that does most of the north west guitar stores in the UK and I mentioned the problem you've been getting. He told me that he's had 3 or 4 5150's in with the same problem and said it's to do with the send and return loop, not a tube issue! Looks like I'm too late with the tubes, but if you want his email addy pm me.
    I'll take that email. The amp is still having issues after I replaced the power tubes and cleaned the send return jacks.

Thanks!