Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Default Mike`s been busy

Don`t know if this should have been placed in the Mike or Hagar individual forums or even into the non Van Halen forum but in the June edition of Guitar Player mag. (See Slash on the cover and the Satch interview on page 16) Satriani, Hagar, MA and Chad Smith from the Chili`s have been recording. Satch claims to have about an album`s worth in the can. Power trio with a singer style. (whodathunk that would work) I knew it wouldn`t take long for somthing cool like this to occur. Like chocolate and peanut butter or titties and beer some things just make sense. Unless you like say.. peanut butter and beer. In which case I have no idea of what to say so Chef feel free to throw out the bunny with the pancake cover. At any rate, Mods feel free to move this if the logic is errant.

I still feel like there is a missing element in the current carnival of shame and until things improve I suppose the back catalogue is the only option for me. Still it is nice to see that some new and interesting things seem to be on the horizon. I will spend my cash on some new super group swag if and when it sees the light of day. Incidentally, I am hoping to hear the planet us stuff if anyone has links or such. I heard good things about "Vertigo" But never got the change to hear it.

Peace, love and Crabs(the blue variety)

Mook

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mookie5 View Post
    Don`t know if this should have been placed in the Mike or Hagar individual forums or even into the non Van Halen forum but in the June edition of Guitar Player mag. (See Slash on the cover and the Satch interview on page 16) Satriani, Hagar, MA and Chad Smith from the Chili`s have been recording. Satch claims to have about an album`s worth in the can. Power trio with a singer style. (whodathunk that would work) I knew it wouldn`t take long for somthing cool like this to occur. Like chocolate and peanut butter or titties and beer some things just make sense. Unless you like say.. peanut butter and beer. In which case I have no idea of what to say so Chef feel free to throw out the bunny with the pancake cover. At any rate, Mods feel free to move this if the logic is errant.

I still feel like there is a missing element in the current carnival of shame and until things improve I suppose the back catalogue is the only option for me. Still it is nice to see that some new and interesting things seem to be on the horizon. I will spend my cash on some new super group swag if and when it sees the light of day. Incidentally, I am hoping to hear the planet us stuff if anyone has links or such. I heard good things about "Vertigo" But never got the change to hear it.

Mook

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Sounds like Planet Us minus Neil and Dean.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:31 PM
    Liked 1,612 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

A project like this, should it be real and not another rumor, can only be a good thing with those players involved.

New music from members of Van Halen. Wacky concept.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

I'm not sure of the time-line of these articles, but Sam said a couple of months ago that he simply had too much on his plate this year to do this side project. With the exception of the month of June, Sam's schedule is full thru early August.

Chad has a little funk-fusion side gig going at this time too. They are called Chad Smith's Bombastic Meatbats.

Groovy shit....check it out.

Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mookie5 View Post

Mook
    I'm not sure about Beer and Peanut Butter, but I do like dark chocolate and beer. I guess chocolate, peanut butter, and beer may work.. but I digress..

This sounds fairly interesting. I hope these recordings do see the light of day soon.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'd like to hear this if it comes to fruition. Sounds like it could be a super-fun project...

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

I seem to remember reading somthing like that too, however here is the quote

With an upcoming tour and a potential super-group forming with Sammy Hagar, Bassist Michael Anthony, and drummer Chad Smith, 2008 is looking to be pretty busy for Satriani.

"Are you having fun with Sammy and the Boys?"

Satch:

Yeah. A power trio, in a warehouse with a pro tools set up, Sammy singing, and everyone overplaying(laughs). It`s great. It`s kind of like a free-for-all. We`ve pretty much got an album worth of material ready but we`re all still figuring out how we`re going to play it. I`m back to playing mostly rhythm, which is fantastic. In your head, you`re thinking "Hendrix did it like this, Clapton like this, Page like that, and Van Halen like that", it`s like you can almost hear all of that in the room with you because the world has had this power-tiro-with-a-singer model for about 50 or 60 years now. It`s fun, because I can play almost anything from my decades of playing guitar, and it usually fits.

So too me it sounds like if you spent some time and money on a project it would be a shame not to have it see the light of day. But we all know that as the buying public we usually get the business end of the music business. Lawyers are really a pain in the ass but they do come in handy when you need em. Here`s hoping that this project sees at least some live dates and maybe a slick live album ala the other HSAS project Hagar did in 83 with Kenny Aronson, Michael Shrieve and Neil Schon. Whiter shade of pale and Top of the Rock are monsters from that joint. In fact I dug it out of my vinyl collection this afternoon right after I posted this the first time and it still makes the fur rise.

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always wondered how Satch would do in something that puts more focus on vocal melodies than guitar melodies. I'm sure there will be a strong focus on guitar but I think Sammy will be the guy with the brightest spotlight.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike-o View Post
    I've always wondered how Satch would do in something that puts more focus on vocal melodies than guitar melodies. I'm sure there will be a strong focus on guitar but I think Sammy will be the guy with the brightest spotlight.
    Satch does quite well with what you are describing. I had a few boots of the short tour of Japan that he supported Mick Jagger on. He actually sounded better on the Jagger solo tunes (far more melodically based) than he did on the Rolling Stone's cover tunes.

And realistically, I believe at this late stage of the game, the days of Sam Hagar wanting (or needing, for that matter) to engage in any self-centered vocal gymnastics have past. I honestly believe the devotion will be more toward the song, not it's mere performance. And that being the case, I think the spotlight (and it's responsibility) will be shared throughout the stage.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Hope it happens myself mook. Actually, after reading Satch's take on the vibe of the jam sessions, I really hope they push go on this thing.

I'm thinking maybe Chad's participation might be the sticking point. Do they all honor their commitments for the rest of the year and then reconvene later in the year or early next year? Stadium Arcadium will have been out for three years by then. Maybe the Peppers are planning on going into the studio.

Anyway....yea, the more i think about this lineup the more i want to hear that album's worth of material.

.....oh, and btw....love the Joe's Crab Shack reference.
    Last edited by Nostalgia Act; 05.11.08 at 08:09 PM.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

ballance
    Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thats a great line up,Satriani coming to NZ I think next month

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Sounds like a great project to me...
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This does sound ultra cool and I'm glad Satch finally gets it; Page and VH
    were always the guys for me, b/c they could do some of the widdly widdly,
    but they had a greater vision of being comprehensive players that didn't
    just solo constantly.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Hope it happens myself mook. Actually, after reading Satch's take on the vibe of the jam sessions, I really hope they push go on this thing.

I'm thinking maybe Chad's participation might be the sticking point. Do they all honor their commitments for the rest of the year and then reconvene later in the year or early next year? Stadium Arcadium will have been out for three years by then. Maybe the Peppers are planning on going into the studio.

Anyway....yea, the more i think about this lineup the more i want to hear that album's worth of material.

.....oh, and btw....love the Joe's Crab Shack reference.
    Yeah the JCS thing has changed some since Landry`s sold em but back in the day aka the mid 90`s that was some good eats down in Galveston. Was boiling up a mess shrimp and crabs in the back yard for Mother`s day so I thought it would be appropriate. Nice to see ya caught it.

Mook