Well....there you go...

http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...eil-young.html

Sneaky Spider Named for Rocker Neil YoungBy Jeanna Bryner, Senior Writer

posted: 09 May 2008 01:30 pm ET
    Buzz up! del.icio.us
    Digg It!
    Newsvine
    reddit2 Comments | 3 Recommend

This trapdoor spider, Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi, was named in honor of Neil Young. Credit: ECU News Services.
    Full Size 1 of 1

This trapdoor spider, Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi, was named in honor of Neil Young. Credit: ECU News Services. A sneaky spider has been named in honor of rock musician Neil Young.

Jason Bond, a biologist at East Carolina University, named a newly discovered arachnid, Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi. It is also known as a trapdoor spider.

"There are rather strict rules about how you name new species," Bond said. "As long as these rules are followed you can give a new species just about any name you please."

He added, "With regards to Neil Young, I really enjoy his music and have had a great appreciation of him as an activist for peace and justice."

Bond discovered the trapdoor spider last year in Jefferson Co., Ala., and later he and co-author Norman Platnick of the American Museum of Natural History in New York formally described the species in a journal article.

The genus Myrmekiaphila refers to a group of trapdoor spiders. Like some of its relatives, the newly named spider lives in a burrow and crafts a trap door to seal off its living quarters from parasites and predators.

"Just as orb-weaving spiders make webs out of silk, these more primitive spiders also use silk, but not [for webs]," Platnick told LiveScience. "They use it to line burrows, and an extension of the lining is part of the trap door."

The hinged lid also provides a sneaky way of snagging dinner. This sit-and-wait predator hangs out behind its camouflaged trap door, waiting for a passerby. When it senses the vibrations of a nearby insect, the spider pops open the silken flap and drags the prey into its burrow.

To identify the "Neil Young" spider as a new species, the scientists examined both its physical features and genetic material. In general, taxonomists rely on differences in genitalia to distinguish one spider species from another. Apparently, spiders have some of the most elaborate genitalia in the animal kingdom.

"One theory is that there is a great deal of sexual selection as opposed to natural selection in genitalia features," Platnick said, so mate choice is based partly on genital features.

The new trapdoor spider is not the first creature to have risen to rocker status. The whirligig beetle (Orectochilus orbisonorum) was named in honor of the late rock 'n' roll legend Roy Orbison and his widow Barbara.

And asteroids have been graced with names honoring Ringo Starr and the other members of the Fab Four. Other space rocks have been named for celebrities, such as rock musician Frank Zappa, and the classical composers Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and Brahms
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

I didn't read the article about the spider, so forgive me here. Will it bite my ass and make my skin die? Or is it one of those cool spiders that eats other shit and I don't have to kill it? Science kicks ass. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

"With regards to Neil Young, I really enjoy his music and have had a great appreciation of him as an activist for peace and justice."

In general, taxonomists rely on differences in genitalia to distinguish one spider species from another. Apparently, spiders have some of the most elaborate genitalia in the animal kingdom.

"One theory is that there is a great deal of sexual selection as opposed to natural selection in genitalia features," Platnick said, so mate choice is based partly on genital features.
    Sounds to me like this species should be the "Ron Jeremy" spider or the "Dirk Diggler" spider. I'd even accept the "Brittany Spears" spider. Never heard of ol' Neil flaunting his genitalia.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default You Made It, Baby!

I'm just glad Neil can relax now. Getting a spider named after you, that's the big time.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    I'm just glad Neil can relax now. Getting a spider named after you, that's the big time.

I'm just waiting for the:

Smoking Loon
    Edward van Halen Custom Vintage
    2004-2006

"This is what I Drink
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:31 PM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Default the loner?

I really don't understand the Neil Young connection, but here's the little bugger from the same article posted above.

I don't care what it's called, it will still get the business end of a rolled up newspaper if it freaks the girls out enough.