Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Blow Your Face Out!!!!- The J.Geils Band Thread

I thought I start a thread in these guy's honor. I bought their 2 most highly acclaimed live albums this week(Full House and of course Blow Your Face Out, while some say Showtime is their best, funny how opinions differ) and I am absolutely loving them both. It's absolutely crazy that this sextet is not in the RRHOF. Maybe not the greatest album sales until the end but too many people like these guys for them not to be inducted.

Favorite VH Song

tough decision
    Last Online

05.04.13 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whammer Jammer - I love J. Geils
    Van Halen

April 1978 Palladium, NYC
    March 1984 MSG, NYC
    July 1986 Meadowlands, NJ
    Oct 1988 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    July 1993 Jones Beach, NY
    April 1995 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    Oct 2007 Mohegan Sun, CT
    Nov 2007 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    May 2008 MSG, NYC

DLR June 2003 Westbury Music Fair, NY

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

This is sooo odd...I literally was looking for a copy of "Full House" online not two days ago, as I remembered it from seventh grade as a killer live album, and could never find it on CD. By the way, the cards assembled on the front cover are not a full house. Terrific art departments in the seventies, ya know?
    By comparison, both "Blow Your Face Out" and "Showtime" suffer from the same problems that plagued every Blue Oyster Cult live record: they were recorded on off nights. Yet all of the pistons were pumping on that first live platter.

A WARNING: "I'm Lookin' For A Lover" and "Hard Drivin' Man" will literally fry your speakers!
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Nah, I love all three live albums. Full House is great, but Blow Your Face Out has more of the hits and more songs to love overall. And Showtime has the Woofah Goofah's goofy "Love Rap" and I really like "Falling" plus that has live versions of "Love Stinks", "Centerfold" & "I Do", among others. I have everything from Monkey Island 'til the end (including the Peter Wolf-less You're Getting Even While I'm Getting Odd on vinyl) except the Houseparty anthology (and any other compilations released after Flashback. I plan to keep going backwards, but there are so many CDs that I want to get from different bands still it's such a slow process!

Also wish Peter Wolf's first solo album was available on CD as I still enjoy listening to that.

Last Online

Well, KU and VH forever!! did mention that it's "funny how opinions differ".
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Because my older brother always listened to Blow Your Face Out I became a huge fan of these guys. Man, just seeing this thread title immediately reminded me of him and of us being kids. Such a killer album at that time. I've always felt that House Party had one of the best guitar intros ever.

But then, when I think of J. Geils I also can't help but think about the release of Love Stinks. That album came out when I was in 7th grade and my friends and I listened to it non-stop. What an awesome album that was at that time with a stellar song list. Love Stinks, Come Back, Just Can't Wait, Night Time, and the oh-so-cool No Anchovies Please were our runaway favorites.

Sometimes I forget just how much I was into these guys for several years during my middle school years. Absolutely loved them. But to be honest I haven't popped in one of their albums in at least 20 years. Strange how that happens.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    ...Absolutely loved them. But to be honest I haven't popped in one of their albums in at least 20 years. Strange how that happens.
    Precisely! That is why it was such a strange thing for this thread to appear, as much like yourself, I'd not thought of the band...hell, since the eighties, until literally a couple of days ago.

Funny old world, ain't it?
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

And seeing how they're a Boston band I always assumed we had more exposure to them here than anywhere else in the country. Maybe that's not the case, but a Geils tune was in steady rotation around here for years and years. When the old Boston Garden closed it's doors with a final celebration of it's history J. Geils was the headline band that closed the night out. It was televised here and it was a very big deal. Think about that....J. Geils was the final act of the final event ever at the Boston Garden.

The more I talk about them the more I realize just how much a way of life J. Geils was. Again, so funny that it took this thread to remind me how much they were in my conscious for so many years of my life up through high school. Then *poof*.....they didn't matter to me at all.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

'Nother New Englander J. Geils lover here. Before I really discoverd VH, J. Geils was my band. I still love those guys and all three of those live albums. I never got to see the actual band but have seen Magic Dick and J. geils bluestime twice. I wish they would all get back together. I wonder what ever happened to Stephen Jo. Bladd? Great band with lots of great memories!
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Like many of you, I have put J. Geils on a back shelf. Guess its time to add to my library again.

Thanks for jogging my brain!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

So many great songs and yet they seem to be reduced to "Centerfold" and maybe occasionally "Love Stinks" on the classic rock station. I don't know it's because they aren't constantly whoring out their archives, or because J. Geils himself isn't currently touring the country with 5 other guys we've never even heard of calling it the J. Geils Band or what. But songs like "Take It Back", "Give It To Me", "(Ain't Nothin' But A) Houseparty", "Lookin' For A Love", "I Do", "One Last Kiss", "Come Back", "Musta Got Lost", etc. all still sound just as good as they ever did and should still be coming out of the radio in rotation with the Zeppelin, Floyd, Halen and Stones tracks.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have really grown to like this band. The first time I heard of them was during the time when freeze frame came out. It was cool I bought the album, then Peter Wolf left the group in 84 and that was the last I heard of them. Until my wife bought the Full house CD in 94, I did not think much of it at the time, but a few moths ago I ask her if she still had the disk, she did, and we jammed all night to it. Some high energy stuff, I guess it was after I got in to Motown and R&B, I had a new appreciation for there music. They are one of my favorite bands now I wish we would have gone to see them on there reunion tour in 99.

Here are some of my Favorites that I found.

J. Geils Band - Pack Fair and Square

Looking For A Love / J Geils Band

hard drivin man

Magic Dick - Whammer Jammer

J. Geils Band - I Do (Live)

j. geils band - where did our love go (audio)

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Anybody get to see the House of Blues show last month? Article I read said they had the original 6, but they also had an extra drummer, guitarist and vocalist - the vocalist I can maybe see, but why an extra guitarist and an extra drummer, when I don't think they've ever used them before? Still, it'd be cool if they take the show on the road.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Ok, on further review - no extra drummer:

Q. Where's original drummer Stephen Jo Bladd?

Peter Wolf: He just felt that it would be best to just stay where he's at. It was all very amicable, sort of like Bill Wyman with the Stones. He might show up. At the birthday party for Danny he jumped on drums and we had a good time, so anything goes.

billy007: bummer

(read the whole article at http://www.boston.com/ae/music/artic.../freeze_frame/)

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Anybody get to see the House of Blues show last month? Article I read said they had the original 6, but they also had an extra drummer, guitarist and vocalist - the vocalist I can maybe see, but why an extra guitarist and an extra drummer, when I don't think they've ever used them before? Still, it'd be cool if they take the show on the road.
    House of Blues in Boston on February 19, 2009

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton