Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Brian May guitars Red Special

Hey guys. Iv'e been looking at the new Brian May Red Special guitar. Musicians Friend is selling them for around $799.00. Anyone tried one? What did you think? I know it would'nt be a guitar for every circumstance, but I like the sound of the Tri Sonic Burns pickups the way he has them set up. The only thing I'm iffy about is the trem. Not sure if it measures up. Let me know.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

A friend of mine just bought one and I was able to play it for a few minutes (not into an amp.) I don't know the specs, but the neck felt like a similar radius to my Wolfgang - maybe a little smaller - without the ability to move as fast up and down the neck. The trem made me a little nervous, but the combination of the zero fret and the graphite nut seemed to do a nice job with slight use.

The switches were a little too much for me, but my friend said that he learned them pretty quickly the first night. Overall, I remember being pretty impressed with the guitar considering that it is imported. Whether or not you can do better for $799 is a matter of personal preference.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clawedmonet View Post
    A friend of mine just bought one and I was able to play it for a few minutes (not into an amp.) I don't know the specs, but the neck felt like a similar radius to my Wolfgang - maybe a little smaller - without the ability to move as fast up and down the neck. The trem made me a little nervous, but the combination of the zero fret and the graphite nut seemed to do a nice job with slight use.

The switches were a little too much for me, but my friend said that he learned them pretty quickly the first night. Overall, I remember being pretty impressed with the guitar considering that it is imported. Whether or not you can do better for $799 is a matter of personal preference.
    Yeah. I mean it's probably no worse than a new standard strat trem with the 2 posts. And I have heard some impressive demos by Brian himself, and they do sound remarkably close. I just really dug his original bridge set up. Very cool , although I hear he has comissioned 100 per year to be built in Japan that is exact in almost every way to his original Red Special. Right down to the valve springs in the trem. Very cool!