Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default OK, all you motorcycle dudes & dude-ettes...

Im thinking very seriously of getting a motorcycle. With gas prices going like they are, my Acura TL is just sucking way too much petro on my daily commute through hell (otherwise known as I-76 through Philadelphia).
    Never had one, never driven one...although ridden on the back many times
    Honestly, Im afraid of buying too much bike and either 1)I end up not liking the whole motorcycle thing and its a waste of money, or 2) I get too much power for a beginner like me and end up a greasy spot on someone's bumper.

I was actually looking at the 250cc scooters like the Honda Reflex at first, but now Im leaning toward the Kawasaki Ninja 250.
    And yes, Im taking the free Pennsylvania DOT motorcycle class before I buy anything, so I might actually learn how to ride one of the damn things.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by ChrisTheEdHead; 05.06.08 at 11:31 AM.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

As a former rider, my first suggestion would be to actually talk to current riders and what they like and don't like about their current rides. I had an old Kawasaki 440 and loved it, nice bike that you didn't have to be a contortionist to ride. Also, go to several dealers and actually sit on these bikes. Think about the position you will be in while riding and how comfortable that position will be. The gas saving bike will be of little use if it puts you in pain to ride it and it ends up sitting in your garage.

But between obstinate and blind Florida drivers and less than perfect weather during the rainy season, I abandoned the bike within a few months.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Here's the somewhat underwhelming response I recieved to the same question nine months ago, Chris.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thin...ght=Motorcycle
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05.06.08 at 11:46 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,339 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I wouldn't get a 250. You will get lapped by a streetsweeper. Plus most of them top out at about 79 miles an hour and in Atlanta, at 79 miles an hour you are getting passed by semis on I-75/85. So look at the new Suzuki gs500.
    Its a pretty good starter bike plus its very well rounded.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Here's the somewhat underwhelming response I recieved to the same question nine months ago, Chris.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thin...ght=Motorcycle
    So did you buy any after all chef?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    So did you buy any after all chef?
    Nope. Like VHR pointed out, this area is simply too unsafe for such a thing.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinion has changed greatly regarding motorcycles. I used to love them, sitting on the back and zooming along often times way to fast. The change of heart started a couple of years ago when my hubby almost killed himself, out for a leisurely ride on a summer night, on a sweeper ramp to the freeway, got in the gravel a bit and the bike went out from under him. Luckily it went into the grass totaling the bike cracking even the frame (it rolled about 7 times down the incline) but only doing superficial damage to my hubby. Then last year my hubby's brother was killed on his two week old bike when on a pleasant spring day he was leaving his mom's, wearing his helmet, in a construction zone doing the speed limit, a truck pulled out in front of him catapulting him over the bed and snapping his neck. He was no small guy weighing about 280 so it would have been hard to miss him if you were looking. Then our neighbor and his wife had a tire blow out on one of their yearly treks to Branson and it just about killed him, spending three weeks in the hospital out of town with complications. They are avid cyclist so the bike was thoroughly checked out prior to leaving but as they say, shit happens.

I know when it is your time, it's your time but motorcycles have been involved in a lot of tragedy around my family as of late so I'm not a big fan anymore.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    With gas prices going like they are, my Acura TL is just sucking way too much petro on my daily commute through hell (otherwise known as I-76 through Philadelphia).
    How much gas can your TL be consuming?

I believe I chimed in on the past thread, so I won't add anything else here other than riding on the Interstate is not the safest thing...especially for a novice. Safety course or not, it is like fighing a tank w/ a slingshot.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    How much gas can your TL be consuming?

I believe I chimed in on the past thread, so I won't add anything else here other than riding on the Interstate is not the safest thing...especially for a novice. Safety course or not, it is like fighing a tank w/ a slingshot.
    I use a little over 1/4 tank a day for my round-trip commute. And I have NO intention of trying the interstate until WAAAAAY farther into my cycling career
    Luckily, I can get almost everywhere here without ever touching an interstate, if I choose to stay on the streets.
    Thanks for all your comments, guys...as you can see, Im still on the fence here, so every little bit helps.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Amsterdam
    Last Online

06.30.11 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I rarely log in and post here, but I am a daily visitor, and I just had to chime in on this one. As a long time on road and off road bike rider, over 20 years, I agree with fuddman, and filthy. First, if you do get a bike do not waste your time and money on a 250 if you will be commuting on an interstate. You will get run over, or not have enough power to get yourself away from trouble, at least a 500. Second, interstates are very dangerous in metro areas especially during rush hour. I suggest more than just a DOT safety course, maybe look into some private riding schools. Then get a lot of seat time before you attempt rush hour, you have to be comfortable with your ability to make quick evasive moves.
    If you do get a bike, spend the extra money on saftey gear; helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, and riding pants. I always tell my friends or co-workers that are thinking about getting their first bike this: "it's not if you crash, but when and how hard".
    Last edited by pittour; 05.06.08 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I had a bike years ago. Follow the advice that had been given. A 250cc is to small for the highways. Go sit on a lot of bikes, you want it to be comfortable. You see those guys on crotch rockets all bent over the tank, that's not very comfortable in traffic and your head is down. You want something that you are sitting somewhat upright so you can see the traffic around you.

I would recommend at least a 500.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

As others have said, a 250cc probably wouldn't be suitable for a serious commute, but if you can travel the back roads and don't want to spend a boatload of money, the Venox is a great starting point. Here's mine

Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

1st one
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One, Panama, Unchained
    Last Online

06.17.10 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought my first bike last fall. A 2005 Victory Vegas. 99 cubic inch 1507 cc. I am a Polaris fan, and I loved the style, but will admit it is a little too big for a beginner, or at least for me. Although I will not get rid of it, I wish I had gotten something smaler to start out on. I injured my shoulder in a snowmobile accident Dec. 29th and still am having problems with it, so don't know if I will be able to ride this summer. If I had a smaller one, I probably could. It's in getting painted now, should be done today, so hopefully I can give it a try this weekend.
    Becki