Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Default Tried out some amps at the store...(kind of long)

Went to the guitar store today for my yearly trek and played through
    some amps:

1. Egnater Tourmaster
    2. Mesa Stiletto Ace combo
    3. Mesa Lone Star Special
    4. Soldano SLO 100

My brief take:

1. Egnater Tourmaster--overall just "eh." I've heard Bruce's MOD stuff
    and it is amazing. The tourmaster seems like you'd have to tweak it too much to get the tones. However, it did have nice sparkly and gritty cleans.
    The gain was a little too smoky for my taste--just a little too dark and thick.

2. Stiletto Ace combo--This is a pretty nice little amp. SUPER bright sounding, but it has a great clean and great OD channel. The only downside to this amp was that we were running the treble OFF and the presence on about 7 o'clock. It is THAT bright. But man, it was a pretty nice sound. Very marshally, but more versatile. The clean channel was one of the best I've heard from an EL34 amp. Really nice.

3. Lone Star Special--Cleans are great. OD is not my cup of tea. I have wanted and wanted to like this amp. The clean channel is perfect, but I just can't get the OD channel to sound saturated enough or ballsy enough. It gets close, but it's either too gummy, too thick, or too farty. Give me the Lone Star clean and the SLO overdrive and we're in business.

4. Soldano SLO--Saved the best for last. I think the last time I played one I posted something here about it and doggone it, I am posting again. This is the absolute BEST overdrive channel I have ever heard. Never heard the clean channel, but the overdrive is the most awesome mean , punchy growl. There's a reason it's been unchanged in 20+ years--it's unreal. If you have never played the SLO--not just a Soldano, but THE SLO--you owe it to yourself as a Van Halen fan and guitar player to plug one in. Eddie needs to stick with this amp. Not even the other Soldanos sound like the SLO. Stupid good.

Funny thing about trying out amps is that what may sound good/bad in the store ALL changes when it's in a band mix. That's why it is so hard to trust anyone's review. Take these reviews for what you will. However, I think the SLO would sound good just about anywhere...
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always wanted to play an SLO, because all I have heard was excellent things.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

SLO's rule, if I could afford one, I'd have one. A 5150 is a poor man's SLO, a very poor man.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Line 6 Amps

Any feedback on Line 6 amps would be appreciated. I have been seeing a lot of them @ my local music store... Some of them sound decent enough.
    What worries me about them is , I see them for sale (used) all over the internet @ pretty low prices. Makes me wonder if they are problematic or just not that great. Again, any feedback would be cool... thanks CV

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

cav-

Last Line 6 I played was the Flextone II series & AX2.

Good for practicing/home but not at all practical for a band situation--they just get lost in the mix. I've never tried a Vetta or the high end Line 6 stuff, though.

I personally think they are a bad deal, moneywise, because they keep "updating the software" which pretty much makes the prior models obsolete.

Depends on your needs.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

I've not had any problems with my Spider II head I bought 4 1/2 years ago.

Sounds fantastic at loud bedroom levels, with virtually no noise... Effects are ok... Delay is pretty good, chorus sucks... the others are in-between.

I record direct to my computer through a SoundTech LightSnake, so the amp is just for messing around. I had a Peavey 412 stereo cabinet that I couldn't sell, and wanted a cheap head to run through it.

I think for practice amps, or something to jam with friends, you can't do any better for the money. That said, if I was playing in a band situation, there's no way I could deal with the ultra-digital tone, unless I was playing in a Flock of Seagulls "tribute" band.
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.20.16 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    Any feedback on Line 6 amps would be appreciated. I have been seeing a lot of them @ my local music store... Some of them sound decent enough.
    What worries me about them is , I see them for sale (used) all over the internet @ pretty low prices. Makes me wonder if they are problematic or just not that great. Again, any feedback would be cool... thanks CV
    I used the Vetta and the pod xtlive with some of my past bands for almost 6 yrs. The other guitar player in those bands also used line 6 amps so it sounded good together but when those bands ended and I joined another band with another guitarist who used a tube amp, the tones just didn't work well together. My tone just sounded fake. It made me ditch all my digital gear and get a nice tube amp and analog effects. I'll never go back to a digital amp.
    I also wasn't much of a tweaker and pretty much just stuck to about 4 different tones with the line 6 stuff. Kinda of a waste with all the different effects and amps you have as an option. Just give me a good overdrive and clean channel.
    I do use a line 6 toneport for practicing and recording at home. I think it sounds great when it comes to just keeping it on the computer. Just wouldn't use digital for live situations anymore.
    Last edited by guitarman51; 05.06.08 at 07:56 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

I used a PodXT for a while, it's cool for what it is, I could only get usable tones going through a PA, power amps and guitar cabs did not agree with it. The SLO on about 5 or 6 on the master is damn near a religious experience though. I wish I had $3k lying around.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Search youtube for Summer Nights Van Halen and watch the clip from Cabo way back in 1990 or something...Eddie is playing an SLO and his tone is stunning. He really should have just started playing Soldanos at that point. This would have been just before the 5150 came out, it was probably in development/testing, and Eddie was using the SLO. I really like 5150s, I own one and play one and am quite happy with it, but it took some work for me to get it sounding good without the buzziness. The closest I have come to playing an SLO is the Vox Valvetronix model of it, which is a pretty damn good model of the amp. The Valvetronix stuff sounds great and feels great, and doesn't suffer from the digitalness of the Pod stuff, which I also own. When I'm looking for a change from my 5150, I'll usually plug in the Valvetronix and play with the SLO model and the boutique clean model, which is quite good as well. A real SLO would be a religious experience I'm sure.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I tried my Pod XT in my band and it was OK, didn't sound too bad, but it was hard to get it loud enough even using my 5150 as the pre-amp. It did kinda sound fake. I stopped using it a few years ago like that.

But when my band recorded our CD, both of us (singer and myself) recorded our guitars on my Pod, and it sounded great. Nobody has ever even questioned if they were real amps or not.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,348 Times in 3,189 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My parents bought me a SLO-100 for a graduation present. I shit. Still have it. Don't use it much but i'll never get rid of it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Come on you want to sell it.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,348 Times in 3,189 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Come on you want to sell it.
    IF and when I decide to sell it how bout first dibs Brett? I have a 5150II and my dads old Marshall and they work for me. I break out the Soldano when I get a wild hair.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

My local guitar shop in Peoria just got in a Bogner Extacy, so of course, I had to try it out. I about shit. That amp can nail just about anything you want to play. I preferred the sound of the head through a Mesa 4x12 cabinet, but the Bogner cabinet sounds great too. If I was gonna drop over $3000 on a head, I would definately get this one over a 5150 III. I really can't say enough good things about it. Even though the amp has alot of tonal options, much like a Mesa, the layout of the controls is still very simple. Very impressed.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    IF and when I decide to sell it how bout first dibs Brett? I have a 5150II and my dads old Marshall and they work for me. I break out the Soldano when I get a wild hair.
    Spoiled brat. Ok don't beg, I'll trade you my 5150 for the SLO.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!