" /> THe Old, Obscure, Forgotten and Unknown Thread!
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default THe Old, Obscure, Forgotten and Unknown Thread!

Though that it might be cool to have a thread where we can post some of our personal favorites that may not be things we hear everyday. Stuff you loved when you were young or something new you've heard that most people aren't aware of.

There's no right or wrong here. The only rule is that you have to like it, you need to explain why and it has to be something we don't see every day. If you think it's crap and you want to make fun of it, take it elsewhere.

So I was picking around a little on my guitar, and I found some chords for some old Marty Robbins tunes, and that's what gave me the idea. I've always loved his voice, but his songs just take me back to simpler times. His voice has such a clean tone and all his songs tell a simple but honest story. So here's one of my personal all time favorites... Mr. Marty Robbins

Devil Woman

El Paso

Cool Water
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

These guys had a pretty good batting average for writing hit singles...and no two of them ever sounded the same. They had a bunch of them, yet these three are my favorites. The first one up is a riff you always tend to figure out while working on something else, and as a result was one of the first riffs that I learned as a young kid playing guitar. From around 1972 or so...

The Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress (3:14)

From 1969...

THE HOLLIES - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (4:13)

Parts of this tune have been ripped off by everyone from David Bowie to Radiohead. Still a classic.

The Hollies-The Air That I Breathe (4:08)
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05.04.08 at 07:13 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    These guys had a pretty good batting average for writing hit singles...and no two of them ever sounded the same. They had a bunch of them, yet these three are my favorites. The first one up is a riff you always tend to figure out while working on something else, and as a result was one of the first riffs that I learned as a young kid playing guitar. From around 1972 or so...
    You nailed it Chef. That's the kinda stuff I had in mind when I started this thread. Great find. I'd heard "The Air that I Breathe", but I didn't know it was The Hollies. "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" always sounded like a CCR tune to me.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Here's one of my very first favorite songs. You want to talk about being taken back to a special time and place, well this is it for me. Reminds me of being about 12 or 13 and sitting in the living room with my father listening to his old 45's. A real gem to emerge from the 1950's.

The Platters- The Great Pretender
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Here's one of my very first favorite songs. You want to talk about being taken back to a special time and place, well this is it for me. Reminds me of being about 12 or 13 and sitting in the living room with my father listening to his old 45's. A real gem to emerge from the 1950's.
    Excellent DD! If it takes you back, this is the place for it. Nice find.
    Archie Bunker

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Okay, I'll play.
    Thanks for this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have thought to look for this band on YouTube.

Twenty years ago, the old guy at the used record store said to me, "You think Geddy Lee (Rush) has a high voice? You should listen to this guy."
    So I bought the album out of curiosity (I think it cost $2) and took it home to listen to it.
    "Home" at that time was an unfurnished, un-heated room above a barber shop in the seedy section of town which I shared with a crazy woman who was good in bed.
    Later that year the crazy woman got even crazier and the room got cold and I got pneumonia, so (after a brief stay in the hospital) I had to move out.
    "Moving out" actually consisted of running for my life since the crazy woman didn't want me to go, and showed her love for me by trying to kill me with a box cutter.
    The only things I regret leaving behind that cold February night are my "Yes" concert T-shirt and this album, which I had come to like very, very much; wierd as it is.

So, thanks again VH_VAREB for starting this thread, because I haven't heard this song in two decades.

I give you Pavlov's Dog (David Surkamp on vocals) performing Of Once and Future Kings.

P.S. I have no idea what the video accompaniment is supposed to be about. It's wierd but strangely compelling.

Don't read this.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How about this one guys. I had it on an old Dick Clark American Bandstand album. It was one of the first records I ever got my hands on, and this was one of my favorite tunes on it. Here's Edgar Winter performing "Free Ride"

Archie Bunker

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Okay, I'll play.
    Thanks for this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have thought to look for this band on YouTube.

Twenty years ago, the old guy at the used record store said to me, "You think Geddy Lee (Rush) has a high voice? You should listen to this guy."
    So I bought the album out of curiosity (I think it cost $2) and took it home to listen to it.
    "Home" at that time was an unfurnished, un-heated room above a barber shop in the seedy section of town which I shared with a crazy woman who was good in bed.
    Later that year the crazy woman got even crazier and the room got cold and I got pneumonia, so (after a brief stay in the hospital) I had to move out.
    "Moving out" actually consisted of running for my life since the crazy woman didn't want me to go, and showed her love for me by trying to kill me with a box cutter.
    The only things I regret leaving behind that cold February night are my "Yes" concert T-shirt and this album, which I had come to like very, very much; wierd as it is.

So, thanks again VH_VAREB for starting this thread, because I haven't heard this song in two decades.

I give you Pavlov's Dog (David Surkamp on vocals) performing Of Once and Future Kings.

P.S. I have no idea what the video accompaniment is supposed to be about. It's wierd but strangely compelling.
    Brother you hit it with that one. Never heard it before in my life. Very Geddy Lee like.
    Archie Bunker

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    How about this one guys. I had it on an old Dick Clark American Bandstand album. It was one of the first records I ever got my hands on, and this was one of my favorite tunes on it. Here's Edgar Winter performing "Free Ride"
    "They Only Come Out At Night" by The Edgar Winter Group" (with Ronnie Montrose on guitar) was the very first album that I bought with my own money!

It had the "long" version of "Frankenstein", yet oddly the version of "Free Ride" differed greatly from the single version. There were some other terrific cuts as well, such as "Round And Round", "We All Had A Real Good Time" and a ballad called "Autumn".

Christ, the memories...
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    You just posted three of my favorite songs!

I don't have anything ready to share right now, but I like this thread.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

The first and second 45's i ever bought with my own money.

Nice Thread.

Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,295 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

[IMG]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULI5kolBpAk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULI5kolBpAk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/IMG]Peep this folks:

god damnit. will someone tell me how to get the vidoes to come up like they do in the preceeding threads?
    Last edited by fudd; 05.04.08 at 08:46 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Johnny Thunders - Chinese Rocks

New York Dolls - Subway Train

New York Dolls - Jet Boy

Sweet - Block Buster

Sweet - Fox on the Run

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,295 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Fuck it. This is old and odd but I like it:

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

OK, this is almost embarrassing, but I like some of The Easybeats stuff. Found out about them by accident when I picked up a stack of older albums at a yard sale for a buck or two. It was interesting to find out that the rhythm guitarist for the group, George Young, is the older brother of Angus and Malcolm Young.

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.