Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default LCD or Plasma ????

With my impending Tax rebate to arrive in my account by Friday of this next week, I have decided that I am buying a new TV. The old 36" RCA tube TV is going on Craig's List within the week. Right now I'm leaning towards a Plasma 47" but I realize that there are advantage's to LCD as well.
    I'm curious which type any of you have and if you are happy with it? What made you go with either the Plasma or LCD?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.29.08 @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well it all depends on what you want/like. Plasma is far superior in every aspect of blacks, contrast ratio's, and reproducing natural colors to LCD. But LCD has no glare screen and is a lot for affordable. As far as the BS about longevity, both have the exact same longevity and if you do the math you'll come to around 10 years of viewing time which is more then adequate. I have a plasma and I bought an LCD for the bedroom, I can say that the plasma is just better, but it's all about your opinion when you see it in the store and what your wallet says also. If you do get a new TV, make sure it does 1080p DO NOT get anything less then this because this is what all Bluray disks play at so at least get something that isnt out of the box obsolete. Just go to www.hometheaterspot.com and check it out.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of our local news channels just did a story on this. They said that some plasma television users electric bills went up 30% - 40%! Pancho - is this true?

The people on the report were PISSED OFF!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I have such a huge wall, I actually needed bang for the buck and went 65" DLP..... I couldnt be happier.

If I was going smaller (50") I would have gone plasma.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,348 Times in 3,189 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Buy a Samsung, you'll thank me later.
    Last edited by fudd; 05.04.08 at 09:46 AM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.29.08 @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I've not noticed any rise in my electric bills from the plasma, I've had my LG plasma for 4 years now and I would've noticed something, I think that was someone's personal bias, you have to be carefull when asking what is better A or B because personal bias comes to play and some facts get distored pretty inacurately, just like Sam or Dave... now it is probable that plasma takes more energy yes I can actually see that but raising your electric bills that much.... hmmm I haven't seen my bills rise like that from a tv.

As far as DLP technology, most of those rear projection systems are going to be obsolete in 8 years, basically those old "big screens" are ancient technology that really is going the way of the condors, they are big and bulky and no one wants them now so be careful getting those because in a few years your going to Homer Simpson yourself and doh... Plasma and LCD will and are already dominating just go to Best Buy and Walmart and you tell me what is gaining?

Everything is going thin now and plasma is more then likely going to eventually win out in the long run because LCD is pretty limited in what it can expand to while plasma is just now really coming out and it's already being advanced, just a few years ago LCD had better longevity and now plasma has caught up and in some newer models exceded LCD.

Depends on what you want, are you a big time hometheater dude or you just a normal guy that doesnt care what 1080i or 1080p means and a tv is just something to watch? If you dont care the right now.. today.. LCD would be your catch cause it's cheap and your eyes really wont notice a difference, but if your a hometheater guru then yeah you'll want plasma no doubt. So it's personal choice and opinion, and of course the wallet dictates what you get and how big it is too.... either way LCD or Plasma,, we're all screwed cause it's all advancing so no matter what you get in 5 years you can get getter, better, and cheaper. Shit I bought my plasma, it's a 42" 1080i and it cost me 2,500,, now I can get 1080p and 50" for less!! So just have fun shopping.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1 View Post
    One of our local news channels just did a story on this. They said that some plasma television users electric bills went up 30% - 40%! Pancho - is this true?

The people on the report were PISSED OFF!
    Plasmas use 3-4 times as much electricity as LCDs. Taking a quick glance at the specs for any given TV make this very clear. It's not hard information to find.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

03.06.15 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought a Panasonic 60" LCD last year right after the Superbowl (I know, I know, but I saved a bundle, had to watch the game on our 42" instead lol).....it's like being at the theatre in my living room.....I love it!! I do however, appreciate the crispness and clarity of the plasma screens.....

Great right now during playoff time, can split the screen into two 30" screens.....
    Last edited by 5150gurl; 05.04.08 at 01:46 PM.
    "Make no mistake. Eddie Van Halen can still kick your ass. The man who single-handedly changed the face of rock is still mean, lean, and sharp as a tack. And if you dispute the ownership of the crown, try to imagine a world without him."~~Billy Corgan/Guitar World (April 1996)

"There's a plaque on our wall that says we've sold over 65 million albums, and I don't feel I've accomplished anything. I feel like I'm just getting started."~~Edward Van Halen

( ( (d(-_-)b) ) )

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Another thing to consider is whether you plan on using the TV for video games. I have read that the plasma screens will burn in like old rear projection screens would, whereas the LCDs repotedly will not.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1, and Balance.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being.
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    I have such a huge wall, I actually needed bang for the buck and went 65" DLP..... I couldnt be happier.

If I was going smaller (50") I would have gone plasma.
    DLP is actually fantastic. A lot of people diss it because it uses a bulb, however It's the best technology for fast moving video games and DVD's. During fast movement the picture quality never lags or leaves ghost trails like LCD tends to. I have had my 52" DLP for two years now and haven't had to change the bulb yet (knock on wood).

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Plasmas use 3-4 times as much electricity as LCDs. Taking a quick glance at the specs for any given TV make this very clear. It's not hard information to find.
    STFU.

The guy asked a question because he wanted answers and opinions. He posted it here knowing he'd get many responses. This is such a big site. Why should he look it up himself if he doesn't want to? Or, maybe he did and asked here anyway numbnuts.

You're such a faggot.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

We recently bought a 65" Samsung LCD and love it so far.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    STFU.

The guy asked a question because he wanted answers and opinions. He posted it here knowing he'd get many responses. This is such a big site. Why should he look it up himself if he doesn't want to? Or, maybe he did and asked here anyway numbnuts.

You're such a faggot.
    Thought the experts\people with experience here would be able to refute something I've heard\seen stories about. Not to mention ask a question for a fellow linker who was (1) looking for some general information and (2) didn't mention anything about it (the energy usage). I know MikeL is the police of vhlinks and I've dealt with his child-like behavior before, so I'm use to it. Thanks for the back-up Bob_R. Since I don't believe in everything MikeL says, he's on to me for not being a follower.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Yes. Comparing wattage on TVs really is a matter of opinion. I mean, so what if one says 550W and the other says 210W? I mean, those could be totally random numbers, right?

Some of you guys need to pick your battles a bit better.