Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ethanol Causing a Food Shortage

Ethanol is a renewable, homegrown fuel that can help lower U.S. dependence on foreign oil. But as more and more ethanol is made from corn, less and less corn is available for food production, and thatīs causing some unforeseen problems.

Corn is a mainstay of American agriculture- itīs an important ingredient in cereals and baked goods, and corn syrup is used to make processed foods like candy, chips and soft drinks. But most importantly, corn is the major source of food for cattle, pigs, turkeys and chickens that are headed for the dinner table.

A recent study conducted by the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development at Iowa State University (which receives funding from grocery manufacturers and livestock producers) reported that U.S. ethanol production could consume more than half of U.S. corn, wheat and coarse grains by 2012, driving up food prices and causing shortages. The study estimates that booming ethanol production has already raised U.S. food prices by $47 per person annually. In Mexico, protests have already erupted over the high price of corn tortillas, a staple food in the local diet.

Planting more corn is one solution, but that means planting less of other crops that are also widely used in foods, such as soybeans and wheat. Tilling fallow land could create more growing space for corn, but might lead to soil erosion and impacts on wildlife habitats.

According to a December 2006 study by the International Food Policy Research Institute, producing enough ethanol to fuel all of the worldīs vehicles would require five times more corn than is planted today and 15 times as much sugar cane.

A more promising solution is to make ethanol from cellulose instead of starches and sugars-using plants such as switchgrass and organic waste instead of corn and sugarcane. This would also reduce greenhouse gas emissions much more effectively than making ethanol from corn.

Growing switchgrass in large quantities would probably require taking some other crops out of production, which would create challenges for farmers. The more attractive alternative is to make ethanol from waste materials such as leftovers from logging and paper mills. However, cellulosic ethanol is not expected to become economically competitive with corn-based ethanol until scientists can develop enzymes that are more efficient at breaking down woody plants. The federal government is funding research aimed at making cellulosic ethanol commercially viable, but many technical issues still need to be worked out.

For now, whether corn is used to make food or fuel depends on economic factors such as the fluctuating price of oil. When oil prices are high, demand for ethanol goes up. That helps keep your costs down at the pump, but you may pay more for steak and corn chips.

Link

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Buy ethanol from Russia?

Anyway once there's a technology to clone food, or anything else, there wont be such issue as food shortage. I hope I live to the day when it happens.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

It takes 1.29 gallons of gas to make 1 gallon of Ethanol. That's like trying to get rich by spending $1.29 to make $1.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's complicated and there are negative reactions for every action taken in hopes of becoming energy independent. But, if we hang in there and keep trying, I'm confident we can come to a reasonable solution. Of course the real problem is the out of control population. How do we begin to addresss such a subject? POPULATION CONTROL!! We are going to have to confront it eventually.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    It takes 1.29 gallons of gas to make 1 gallon of Ethanol. That's like trying to get rich by spending $1.29 to make $1.
    I don't expect our government to really get behind ethanol until the ratio is 3.0 gallons gasoline to one gallon ethanol. Then it'll truely be wasteful enough for federal support.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post

Corn is a mainstay of American agriculture- itīs an important ingredient in cereals and baked goods, and corn syrup is used to make processed foods like candy, chips and soft drinks. But most importantly, corn is the major source of food for cattle, pigs, turkeys and chickens that are headed for the dinner table.
    I like how there's not a peep about the excessive wastefulness of using animals for food, which is FAR more wasteful than ethanol--it takes up to 16 pounds of grain and a gallon of oil to make one pound of meat.

A recent study conducted by the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development at Iowa State University (which receives funding from grocery manufacturers and livestock producers) reported that U.S. ethanol production could consume more than half of U.S. corn, wheat and coarse grains by 2012, driving up food prices and causing shortages.
    Surprise, surprise!
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Other alternatives to ethanol

I've heard a lot of positives about algae use. And it tends to reproduce quickly.

http://venturebeat.com/2007/01/24/th...ve-fuel-algae/

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I don't think they should just concentrate on ethanol.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    It's complicated and there are negative reactions for every action taken in hopes of becoming energy independent. But, if we hang in there and keep trying, I'm confident we can come to a reasonable solution. Of course the real problem is the out of control population. How do we begin to addresss such a subject? POPULATION CONTROL!! We are going to have to confront it eventually.
    With gasoline prices rising on a weekly basis, we need to begin seriously looking at alternative fuels. Hydrogen seems to be the most logical solution to end our dependence on foreign oil. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe and can be produced from readily available sources such as methane and water. The problem lies in developing a feasible hydrogen production method.

Hydrogen is simply an energy carrier, like electricity, and they both require energy to produce - which in most traditional methods requires the burning of fossil fuels. This defeats the purpose of creating a clean-burning fuel, and makes hydrogen fuel more costly to produce than gasoline.

There are several "clean" methods that could be used to produce hydrogen fuel: solar and nuclear. My choice would be nuclear. Nuclear energy has the potential to efficiently produce large quantities of hydrogen without producing greenhouse gases. Right now the USA has over 100 nuclear power plants in the USA producing electricity. There is no reason we could not develop nuclear hydrogen plants in the same manner.

A 1000-megawatt nuclear power plant costs around $2-billion to build. If we built 100 of them to produce hydrogen fuel with, the cost would be $200-billion. There are around 100,000 service stations in the USA. They would all need to be converted to sell hydrogen, which would cost around $200,000.00 per station (new tanks and pumps) - which would total $20-billion. Automakers are already producing hydrogen-powered vehicles, which would gradually replace the gas-burners on the road.

So, for less than half of the cost of the Iraq war, we could say goodbye to Middle East oil, and hello to clean-burning, low-cost hydrogen fuel that would never run out.

What are the chances of our politicians pursuing this? Go figure.
    Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 05.02.08 at 03:05 PM.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This would rid us of dependence on foreign oil, and also get rid of the pollution and greenhouse gases.
    Oh, you forgot about the nuclear waste pollution, which remains radioactive (read: deadly) for a couple hundred thousand years. Not to mention the mining, transportation, storage, potential for terrorist attack, massive water usage, etc.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I guess I don't understand Hydrogen - I always figured it was an intangible gas like helium - would we just have an air nozzle on our car and literally pump the tank full of Hydrogen? Or does it come in a liquid form like gasoline (well, it makes up water - would we fill our tanks with water and somehow remove the Oxygen?). All I know, if I ever have a car that runs on Hydrgen, I'm staying the hell away from Lakehurst, New Jersey!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    Oh, you forgot about the nuclear waste pollution, which remains radioactive (read: deadly) for a couple hundred thousand years. Not to mention the mining, transportation, storage, potential for terrorist attack, massive water usage, etc.
    It's already happening with the nuclear power plants around the world. Maybe they could just dig a 20-mile hole in the earth and bury it.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With gasoline prices rising on a weekly basis, we need to begin seriously looking at alternative fuels. Hydrogen seems to be the most logical solution to end our dependence on foreign oil. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe and can be produced from readily available sources such as methane and water. The problem lies in developing a feasible hydrogen production method.

Hydrogen is simply an energy carrier, like electricity, and they both require energy to produce - which in most traditional methods requires the burning of fossil fuels. This defeats the purpose of creating a clean-burning fuel, and makes hydrogen fuel more costly to produce than gasoline.

There are several "clean" methods that could be used to produce hydrogen fuel: solar and nuclear. My choice would be nuclear. Nuclear energy has the potential to efficiently produce large quantities of hydrogen without producing greenhouse gases. Right now the USA has over 100 nuclear power plants in the USA producing electricity. There is no reason we could not develop nuclear hydrogen plants in the same manner.

A 1000-megawatt nuclear power plant costs around $2-billion to build. If we built 100 of them to produce hydrogen fuel with, the cost would be $200-billion. There are around 100,000 service stations in the USA. They would all need to be converted to sell hydrogen, which would cost around $200,000.00 per station (new tanks and pumps) - which would total $20-billion. Automakers are already producing hydrogen-powered vehicles, which would gradually replace the gas-burners on the road.

So, for less than half of the cost of the Iraq war, we could say goodbye to Middle East oil, and hello to clean-burning, low-cost hydrogen fuel that would never run out.

What are the chances of our politicians pursuing this? Go figure.
    We still have a lot of work to do before we are free from Middle East Oil, but I do believe we will eventually get there. It's just not going to be easy or quick and we had better be flexable. Petroleum is more a part of our lives than just the fuel we use for our cars and trucks. It's hard to find something you use everyday that doesn't rely on oil or is a by-product of oil. For the children, lets hope we figure it out sooner rather than later.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It may take a few tries before we get there. Kind of like going from vinyl records to 8-tracks to cassettes to CD's. Ethanol is probably the equivalent of the 8-track. What will be the CD? Hydrogen? Electric?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

fuck corn! i eat it one week and it doesnt come out for two. and when it does, it seems to have regrouped into kernels. corn is evil.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sisca View Post
    fuck corn! i eat it one week and it doesnt come out for two. and when it does, it seems to have regrouped into kernels. corn is evil.

God damn that's funny. What's shakin' over in K-ville? Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.