Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

More Than Likely The Most Jaw-Droppingly Awesome Display Of Sportsmanship...EVER!

Words fail me...this is simply outstanding...

CWU softball players show compassion beyond sportsmanship
    By George Vecsey New York Times

Central Washington's Liz Wallace, left, and Mallory Holtman carry Sara Tucholsky after the Western Oregon player hurt her knee on a home run.

Something remarkable happened in a college softball game Saturday in Ellensburg. At least, I am conditioned to think it was remarkable, since it involved an act of sportsmanship, with two players helping an injured opponent complete the home run she had just slugged.

Why this generous act should seem so unusual probably stems from the normal range of bulked-up baseball players, police-blotter football players, diving soccer and hockey players and other high-profile professionals.

The moment of grace came after Sara Tucholsky, a diminutive senior for Western Oregon, hit what looked like a three-run homer against Central Washington. Never in her 21 years had Tucholsky propelled a ball over a fence, so she did not have her home run trot in order, gazing in awe, missing first base. When she turned back to touch the bag, her right knee buckled, and she went down, crying and crawling back to first base.

Pam Knox, the Western Oregon coach, made sure no teammates touched Tucholsky, which would have automatically made her unable to advance. The umpires ruled that if Tucholsky could not make it around the bases, two runs would score but she would be credited with only a single. ("She'll kill me if I take it away from her," Knox thought.)

Then Mallory Holtman, the powerful first baseman for Central Washington, said words that brought a chill to everybody who heard them:

"Excuse me, would it be OK if we carried her around and she touched each bag?"

The umpires huddled and said it would be legal, so Holtman and the Central Washington shortstop, Liz Wallace, lifted Tucholsky, hands crossed under her, and carried her to second base, and gently lowered her so she could touch the base. Then Holtman and Wallace started to giggle, and so did Tucholsky, through her tears, and the three of them continued this odd procession to third base and home to a standing ovation.

"Everybody was crying," Knox recalled Tuesday. "It was an away game, and our four fans were crying. We couldn't hit after that."

The extra run made it easier for Western Oregon to win the second game, 4-2, and sweep the doubleheader. More important, all involved realized they had taken part in an event they would always remember.

The question is, where did it come from, this impulsive gesture by Mallory Holtman?

"She hit it over the fence," Holtman said Tuesday. "She deserved it. Anybody would have done it. I just beat them to it."

She said she had been taught by her coach, Gary Frederick, that "winning is not everything."

Is there something intrinsic to women's sports that caused this generosity? Holtman, nearly 23, did not think so. "Not many people are ever in that position," she said. "I would hope that our baseball players would do it."

Knox, the Western Oregon coach, said the act "came from character."

"They're playing for a coach who instills it," she said.

Knox said she absolutely would not say this demonstrated some major difference between women's and men's sports: "As coaches, we are so competitive, we forget this stuff. By God, I would hope I would have done the same thing."

Would the Oakland A's have carried a sore-legged Kirk Gibson around the bases to complete his two-run homer that gave the Dodgers a 5-4 comeback victory in the opening game of the 1988 World Series? My guess is that if Gibson had crumpled in the dirt, Tony La Russa (or Billy Martin or Leo Durocher or Earl Weaver or just about any manager) would have said, "Let him lie there." But let's grant that those stakes are much higher.

We've all seen sportsmanship at a high level. Golf depends upon personal adherence to the rules. In tennis a player occasionally yields a point — not usually at a crucial moment — producing a sweet little patter of applause.

In 1999, Arsène Wenger, the French coach of Arsenal of the English Premier League, insisted upon a replay of a cup match after a young Arsenal player had unwittingly set up a goal in violation of the unwritten code when an opponent is injured. So maybe sportsmanship is universal, out there, needing to be cultivated.

"It's amazing what they did," Tucholsky said of the Central Washington players Tuesday, while facing what she assumes will be the first surgery of her 21 years for what is suspected to be a torn ligament.

"Mallory didn't know it was my first home run," said Tucholsky, whose college career will end with a .153 batting average and exactly one home run. "It just says a lot about them."

Tucholsky was too immobile to join the handshake line at the end of the game Saturday, but her family has been in touch with Holtman, photographs have been exchanged, the two teams are wrapped in a bond of good feeling we can only wish did not seem so singular, so remarkable.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._vecsey30.html
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

07.29.13 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This story should be sent to every parent of every child that plays organized sports.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Thanks for posting this, Chef.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Yep!! Cool story.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Great read. Its a shame more pro and amateur atheletes aren't this way.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 3_6_9 time View Post
    This story should be sent to every parent of every child that plays organized sports.
    My God, I could hear some lunatic parent in the stands screaming "put her down, put her down, she can't cross the plate."

Nice story.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a wonderful story, way to go ladies!!
    <Insert favorite VH song lyrics here>

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark5150s View Post
    This is a wonderful story, way to go ladies!!
    I manage a traveling 14 and Under fast pitch girls tournament softball team. One of the parent's from my organization sent me this yesterday, and it actually brought tears to my eyes. I have seen some very ugly things happen with regard to sportsmanship over the years (usually fostered by an idoit coach or parent), but i have seen far more act's of kindness, but nothing of this magnitude. Absolutely amazing !! Kudos to those athletes.....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK you made me cry.... great story Chef!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

What a great story! Thanks Chef! I too coach girls softball and more often than not the parents are complete assholes. I can only imagine that they would react with the "let her lay there" bullshit. This story illustates the right way of playing the game!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I needed that.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Right on, ladies!!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the English Premiership Football (Soccer) League, the stakes are so high in the league that sportsmanship such as this is getting very rare.

However, aside from the mention of Arsene Wenger - a few years ago, an italian striker called Paulo Di Canio was involved in an attack where the goalkeeper of the opposing side got injured and was down - the ball was crossed into Di Canio and rather than score what would have been a very simple goal, he instead caught the ball and motioned to the referee that the keeper was down and needed treatment...it was a truly inspiring moment.

...another time, Liverpool Football Clubs legendary striker Robbie Fowler was through on goal against England international David Seaman and went over under a challenge for the ball in what looked like a bad fall. The referee awarded a penalty for the striker - at which point Fowler realised what had happened and went running to the referee saying that he wasn't touched and the it wasn't a penalty.........

Although there is an unwritten law that the ball is put out of play if a player is down......it's very rare such gestures are seen in any top level sport these days.......
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 3_6_9 time View Post
    No doubt.

Great show of sportsmanship!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Talk about your "feel good story"...that was an incredible read!!! Thanks for the link, Chef. Seeing there's a really good chance our little boy will be playing sports, I am definitely going to remember this story. Too bad young girls aren't looking up to these ladies as role models (but unfortunately, these stories rarely make the evening news).
    Meet me in Cabo!