Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Is online freelance writing a legitimate business?

Thanks to you're at times sarcastic but truthful responses to the rebate processing question I think I will try to get my money back with that one. Is online freelance writing on the up and up? I do have abilities to write I believe, beyond my slightly below average typing skills and annoying tendency to leave words out when I shouldn't I think I can do this job pretty well. Besides, one person is offering another e-book for one-sixth of the cost of the rebate processing so to me this sounds more credible. I know I left myself open for some barbs with the last one, I admit I may have gotten duped a little, but I probably deserved each and every one I got. However, most importantly, is there online writers here and is it something that is legit and will bring in an income? Fire away at will!!

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1,611 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

A difficult and unlikely prospect of capital income.

Everyone here who posts on a message board or blogs is some sort of 'online' writer. Getting paid to do it, you'd have to submit examples of your work to websites who contract folk to write for them and accept submissions from unknowns or non-referrals, and they'll either respond to you or not.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by KU and VH forever!! View Post
    However, most importantly, is there online writers here and is it something that is legit and will bring in an income? Fire away at will!!

"is there online writers here..." Is there?!?

Listen, I'll tell you what. I'm going to help you out a little. If you send me $100, I'll tell you how to make money on the internet. Deal?

Don't read this.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I do have abilities to write I believe, beyond my slightly below average typing skills and annoying tendency to leave words out when I shouldn't I think I can do this job pretty well.
    No one likes a run-on sentence. The art of punctuation is a dying one.

Um, I, too, can tell you how to make money on the internet. In fact, for $99 dollars I can show you how to do it.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

PUT YOUR PC TO WORK FOR YOU!!
    MAKE EASY $$$ AT HOME
    SPECIAL ONE-DAY OFFER

$98.95

BUY TODAY!!

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

No offense, but given your grammatical skills, you're going to need to hire an editor. What you pay him/her to "clean up" your work will eat up most of what you would've made as an online writer. I really am not trying to offend, but you asked for advice and I believe in being truthful when it comes to (hopefully) helping someone avoid a potentially disastrous situation. My guess is that you are much more highly qualified for a different field of work.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles View Post
    My guess is that you are much more highly qualified for a different field of work.
    That is a brilliant quote kt! I have many friends I can use that one on.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am not however a simpleton who can be on the receiving end of barbs send by people who think I am absolute dunce. People, be nice here! Its easy to be smug and insult others however it is much more difficult and dangerous to actually try to help someone who is honestly and innocently asking for it. Maybe my run-on sentences are a problem(notice proper verb conjugation) which I think I can address and certainly improve upon. Now that I have seen how some of you have decided the best way to deal with a human being who is down and out and wants to improve myself. Lot of you answer threads it seems like anytime you want to and that's fine, I thought maybe some of you have online work. I apologize for assuming incorrectly. Sorry mods, I am near the end of my rope of hope, no one around here cares. And for the record, proper grammar to me when practiced stringently is somewhat boring and tedious. Nothing gets my hackle up more than being treated like a idiot, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

And for the record, proper grammar to me when practiced stringently is somewhat boring and tedious.
    Really, I don't want to pile on but this quote baffles me. How is the proper use of grammar boring and tedious? I was always under the impression that grammar usage merely allows us to communicate clearly with others.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Listen, KU. Very few people can make a living solely by freelance writing. Publications notoriously do not pay well, nor do many other freelance outlets. Many writing outlets demand a specialty, for example proposal writing, or prior knowledge or expertise within a certain field, whether it be music or scientific journals. You may think you know enough to get by but that just won't cut it.

I always kept my dayjob in the hopes that freelance writing would pan out and I could quit the dayjob. I even tried opening my own business. Bottom line, I always needed the dayjob to pay the bills.

I know alot of freelance writers. They are all struggling despite the fact that they work their asses off for multiple publications.

My advice? Get a day job and freelance on the side. Build up a portfolio. And never, ever pay someone for you to write for them.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    That is a brilliant quote kt! I have many friends I can use that one on.
    Just to be clear KU, I wasn't referring to it as a reference to you when I said I liked this quote. I just liked the quote. Very creative use of the English language.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1,611 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

I am not however a simpleton who can be on the receiving end of barbs send by people who think I am absolute dunce. People, be nice here! Its easy to be smug and insult others however it is much more difficult and dangerous to actually try to help someone who is honestly and innocently asking for it. Maybe my run-on sentences are a problem(notice proper verb conjugation) which I think I can address and certainly improve upon. Now that I have seen how some of you have decided the best way to deal with a human being who is down and out and wants to improve myself. Lot of you answer threads it seems like anytime you want to and that's fine, I thought maybe some of you have online work. I apologize for assuming incorrectly. Sorry mods, I am near the end of my rope of hope, no one around here cares. And for the record, proper grammar to me when practiced stringently is somewhat boring and tedious. Nothing gets my hackle up more than being treated like a idiot, when nothing could be further from the truth.
    People do care, man. It's just, you're reaching for options when you talk of aspiring to freelance writing, yet offer comments like stringent proper grammar is boring and tedious, indicating that perhaps writing is not best suited to your individual tastes. Also, it's a vocation that is near impossible to break into with any modicum of financial and critical success. It's even harder to become a successful writer than it is to become a famous actor.

Sound advice, if you're looking for new ways of garnering personal income, is to stick to the field in which you've been most versed, and as Y mentioned, try your hand in new arenas on the side, at night, on weekends. Waiting tables sucks, but it puts food in the fridge.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Fire away at will!!
    You said we could fire away, so we did.

Look, no one is insulting you or anything. We were just having some fun. You said you were looking for work as a freelance writer, and some of us are fans of irony. That's all.

Relax. I mean, you don't see me pointing out the grammatical shortcomings in your last post, do you?

Anyway, I wish you luck in all of your endeavors. Seriously.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

KU...I, for one, was not trying to be offensive but tried to offer some constructive criticism. I truly believe that everyone has certain gifts/natural abilities/passions/etc. that they are born with. I think to be happy in life, you have to find out what those things are and then go from there to be successful. Let me give you an example: I like live music. I would love to be a folk singer. I used to have a fairly decent voice. I've not used that voice for singing on stage in many years. I have never learned how to play the guitar. Now, would you recommend that I go into a recording studio and ask for a recording contract? That'd be ridiculous. That's not where my talents lie. HOWEVER, if I were passionate about it and truly wanted to do it for a living then I'd need the proper voice training and I'd need to learn how to play the guitar (and well).

If you are passionate about writing and think this is what you were born to do, then by all means get the proper education to become an efficient and talented writer and then go for it. That's not the attitude you came in here with, however. You came in saying, "well, this didn't work out so maybe I'll try this." It didn't come across like writing was something you were serious about doing. Did you expect people to take you seriously as a writer when what you wrote was not even proofread? Now who's treating whom like the idiot?

Speaking on my own behalf, I don't think you're an idiot. Hell, I don't even know you. All I know from reading your post and your plea for advice is that you're probably better suited for something else (UNLESS, like I said, you're really passionate about this and then I say, "GO FOR IT!").
    Meet me in Cabo!

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Easy on the self-loathing/self-apologetic thing mate. That's not gonna help anything.

So well, it's a van halen fans community with one off-topic forum. Not exactly the place NOT to expect sarcasm about anything you'd start a thread about. It's not because there're no blokes who wouldn't genuinely want to help you - it's because this is the place for people to have a break from their own work and just generally take a piss.

The simple truth is that you have to write a list of things that you can do, not have a list of jobs handed to you by a 3rd party. There're loads of online jobs that could feed and support you, eg text translations. From one language to another and vice versa, done that loads of times. Can you do that? If you can then then here's your advice.