F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default The official Earthquake Thread

There are a bunch of threads on Quakes, but nothing where this fits in, so I thought I would start a catch-all thread for Quake news.

Quakes confuse experts, send kids under their desks
    By Sean O'Key
    CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science...ake/index.html

(CNN) -- Experts are mystified by what they call a "swarm" of earthquakes hitting Reno, Nevada.

Quakes aren't uncommon there, but analysts just do not know what has caused 344 of them in the area in the past week, the strongest of which was magnitude 4.7.

The quakes have prompted schools to teach more emergency drills, while seismologists examine the data for clues.

No one fault line has been identified as the culprit and the pattern of the earthquakes also has scientists saying they are confused.

Typically, several small aftershocks follow a larger quake. In this case, several smaller temblors led to a larger one, which caused minor damage to shops and homes. Watch damage from Friday's earthquake Ľ

"Whether this last one is the final one of that building pattern is the question, and it will only be answered with time," said Tom Rennie, a seismic analyst with the Nevada Seismological Laboratory.

At Jesse Beck Elementary School in Reno, Nevada, there have been three earthquake drills in the past month, prompted by the string of quakes that began in February.

"By the third drill, they pretty much have it down," Kristen Brown, principal at Beck Elementary, said with a laugh. "We make noises over the intercom, sort of a 'mock earthquake,' and had the kids do the duck, cover and hold method."

Aaron Kenneston, Washoe County emergency manager in Nevada, said reaction from the public has been mixed.

"There are a variety of reactions, just like there are a variety of personality types," said Kenneston. "It ranges from people who used to live in seismic zones like California who don't think it's a big deal, to some people like the elderly or frail who are very concerned."

Nevada is the third most active state for earthquakes after California and Alaska.

Since earthquakes cannot be predicted, Kenneston said the most important thing he's focused on is public education.

"There's confidence that comes with preparation, and my goal is to get the populace familiar with how to protect themselves."

Kenneston advises the public to take precautions, like moving heavier objects closer to the floor and securing bookcases and shelves. During an earthquake, people should take cover under a table, near an interior wall or in a doorframe.

At Beck Elementary, education is also a priority.

"One of our sixth-grade teachers has made earthquakes a unit of study for science. Now the kids know more about earthquakes than me," said Brown. "You definitely have to be prepared, and I feel we are."
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

The same kind of "swarm" was happening off the Oregon Coast a few weeks ago too. It was confusing to scientists because it's what is usually seen with volcanic activity yet there is no volcano.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    yet there is no volcano.
    Maybe it hasn't broken the surface yet........
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Don't read this.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

I bet its just Rosie O'Donnel jumping off a diving board somewhere in Reno.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah they're all on the west side of Reno, towards the Sierras. I've not felt a thing myself. Just hearing about it on the news. I had no idea there were so many tho.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

6.8 earthquake shakes Tokyo

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A magnitude 6.8 earthquake off the Japanese coast rattled Tokyo early Wednesday, seismologists and national television said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, though the quake woke up some residents of the capital, public broadcaster NHK said. No tsunami warning had been issued, it added.

The epicenter of the quake that struck at 01:45 (16:45 GMT) was offshore, 160 kilometers (100 miles) northeast of Tokyo and at a depth of 40 kilometers underwater, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

NHK reported that a second quake hit in the same area about half an hour later with a magnitude of 5.3 in the Richter scale.

However, the broadcaster reported that power lines and communications were running normally and no injuries or minor damage had been reported. An hour later, regularly scheduled programming had resumed.

Japan is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in the world, although Tokyo has not been hit with a major quake since the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake killed 140,000 people.

An earthquake of that size, about a magnitude 8, occurs once every 200 to 300 years.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh maaaaaan. Tokyo has seen this coming for a while, I hope they can get through the next bigger one...such a danger zone that place is. I've been thinking about that place considering all of the earthquakes that have strangely occurred throughout the West.
    Respects.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I've felt plent of the Reno quakes. I work in an 8 story building and I'm on the 3rd floor. I feel any of the quakes during the day that are 3.0 or higher. I think we're all used to them now!
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

900 children buried in deadly China quake

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- At least 107 people died in a major earthquake that rocked central China on Monday -- but the total does not include any of the nearly 900 students feared buried in a collapsed high school.
    art.faint.ap.jpg

Students help a fainted classmate evacuate to a playground in Qionglai city, southwest China's Sichuan province.

Xinhua did not detail where the 107 deaths occured, although it reported earlier that four students were killed and 110 hurt when a middle school building collapsed in Juyuan Township of Dujiangyan City, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) southeast of the epicenter.

Another person was killed when a water tower fell in the city of Mianyang, the news agency reported.

A provincial government spokesman said they feared more dead and injured in collapsed houses in Dujiangyan City in Wenchuan County, Xinhua reported.

The news agency also quoted a driver for the seismological bureau saying he saw "rows of houses collapsed" in Dujiangyan.

Chinese President Hu Jintao immediately ordered an all-out effort to help victims of the earthquakes, Xinhua reported. It said Premier Wen Jiabao would go there to direct the rescue work. Video See workers in Chengdu hiding under their desks during the quake. Ľ

Bonnie Thie, the country director the Peace Corps, was on a university campus in Chengdu about 60 miles from the epicenter, in the eastern part of China's Sichuan province, when the first quake hit.

"You could see the ground shaking," Thie told CNN.

The shaking "went on for what seemed like a very long time," she said.

"This is a very dangerous earthquake," said Bruce Presgrave, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake has the potential to cause major damage because of its strength and proximity to major population centers, he said. In addition, the earthquake was relatively shallow, Presgrave said, and those kinds of quakes tend to do more damage near the epicenter than deeper ones.

An earthquake with 7.5 magnitude in the northern Chinese city of Tangshan killed 255,000 people in 1976 -- the greatest death toll from an earthquake in the last four centuries and the second greatest in recorded history, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Tangshan is roughly 995 miles (1,600 km) from Chengdu, the nearest major city to the epicenter of Monday's quake.

After the first quake struck Monday, the ground shook as far away as Beijing, which is 950 miles (1,528 km) from the epicenter.

They felt "a very quiet rolling sensation" that lasted for about a minute, according to CNN correspondent John Vause.

"Our building began to sway," he said.

Thousands of people were evacuated from Beijing high-rises immediately after the earthquake.

At least six more earthquakes -- measuring between 4.0 and 6.0 magnitudes -- happened nearby over the three hours after the initial quake at at 2:28 p.m. local time (0728 GMT, 0228 ET), the USGS reported.

A spokesman for the Beijing Olympic Committee said no Olympic venues were affected by the earthquake. The massive Three Gorges Dam -- roughly 400 miles east of the epicenter -- was not damaged, a spokesman said.

The earthquake was also felt in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taiwan, and as far away as Hanoi, Vietnam, and Bangkok, Thailand, according to the Hong Kong-based Mandarin-language channel Phoenix TV.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    (CNN) -- Experts are mystified by what they call a "swarm" of earthquakes hitting Reno, Nevada.
    Apparently there is a swarm of earthquakes hitting the whole planet this year:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...uakes_all.html

We had a 5.2 quake in Illinois about a month ago - first one here that big in about 30 years.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shit.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Okay this crap is getting a bit outta hand now. We're still getting small quakes here as well.

Is the earth falling apart?
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

This is pretty interesting. Scientists have found a clue that could help them predict earthquakes:

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...0.html?cnn=yes