Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Kentucky Derby Thread or horse racing in general

This Saturday kicks of the first leg of the Triple Crown. Anyone ever go or been to the derby? It is kind of a big deal around here. I go to Churchill often but I have never gone to the derby. Today Thursday is the day all the locals go, I plan to head over after lunch. It is kind of a tradition for me and some of my friends.

If anyone has any derby stores to share, or wants to talk about picks, feel free.

Here is a link to the local paper with the latest Derby 134 DataTrack.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...D=999980222054

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Big Trouble
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:58 PM
    Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

Never been but i really want to go...Here are my thoughts on a couple of the horses

Pyro at 6 to 1 is great...after kicking ass in the Louisiana Derby he totally laid an egg at the Bluegrass Stakes finishing 10th but for some reason i like this horse...if he goes off at 6 to 1 i would drop of few bones on him

Tale of Ekati at 15 to 1...Barclay Tagg's horse...i won big money with Funnycide a few years back so i always look for a New York bred horse to do well...So/So finish in Louisiana...Stellar at the Wood Memorial...i'd take a chance on this horse too

Two others i like are Court Vision at 20 to 1 and Colonel John at 4 to 1

Big Brown is the favorite at 3 to 1 but wow coming out of the 20 hole, which no horse has ever won from makes me wonder if even this dominator can do it...plus he's only raced 3 times looked unbeatable in all 3 but i don't know i can never get myself to bet for the heavy favorites

anyway thats what i think so far...i'm sure my opinions will change ten times by saturday evening
    Kosovo Je Srbija

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Those horse racing fans in the house who can't get to any of the 3 Triple Crown races need to do yourselves a favor and get your ass to Saratoga, NY one weekend in August. You can't believe that place on the weekend. One of the most exciting atmospheres I've ever experienced. And the women? Holy shit, never seen anything like it. Better than Vegas. The place is crawling with hot, dressed to the nine's, classy rich bitches.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Those horse racing fans in the house who can't get to any of the 3 Triple Crown races need to do yourselves a favor and get your ass to Saratoga, NY one weekend in August. You can't believe that place on the weekend. One of the most exciting atmospheres I've ever experienced. And the women? Holy shit, never seen anything like it. Better than Vegas. The place is crawling with hot, dressed to the nine's, classy rich bitches.
    Never been to anything quite like that. Used to hit Gulfstream down in Hallandale a few times a year, and always for the Donn Handicap. Other than that, I spent some time at Pompano Harness since the mother of the girl I was dating at the time was a trainer.

But yes, I try to watch all three races in the Triple Crown. Seems like forever since we've had the hat trick, and would love to see it again.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Used to hit Gulfstream down in Hallandale a few times a year, and always for the Donn Handicap. Other than that, I spent some time at Pompano Harness since the mother of the girl I was dating at the time was a trainer.
    You should see the area now. Gulfstream has pretty much given up on even making an attempt to cater to horse fans. The grandstand viewing area inexplicably provides no view of the paddock, there are no rail seats other than some old high school gym metal bleachers, rusting in the sunshine with no cover. So essentially, if you wish to actually see a race, you need to watch it on tv in the club section, yet only selected races.

The handles are non-existent, further diminishing the want or need for horsemen to travel here. The reduced size of trainer/care areas is also inducement to avoid the area.

Let's face it, after John Brunetti killed Hialeah, there left Calder ("Come watch horses run on sand!" ) and Gulfstream, as Pompano Harness has become a venue for slots now that all of the property north of Racetrack Road has been sold off to provide for faceless warehouses (Yup, the restaurant is looong gone ), leaving little room for sulkies on the south side, let alone stalls. And now Gulfstream is trying to turn itself into a "Hard Rock Cafe" East, due to it's proximity to the Hollywood chain. So instead of winter meets, we get concerts featuring bands that were old in the seventies.

The horse racing industry is on it's last legs here in South Florida. Through shortsightedness (jumping on trends) and lack of reinvesting in the clubs properly (this includes educating younger generations to the intricacies and delights of the sport) the track owners only have themselves to blame. And quite frankly, when was the last time that anyone gave a shit about track owners? After gouging horsemen and the public alike for so many years, it's about time that they received a taste of their own medicine.

It's a shame however that the individual horsemen and their families have to suffer as a result. Most are learning to cross South Florida off of the travel itinerary.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05.01.08 at 09:59 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Shouldn't this be in the Sports Forum?
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    You should see the area now. Gulfstream has pretty much given up on even making an attempt to cater to horse fans. The grandstand viewing area inexplicably provides no view of the paddock, there are no rail seats other than some old high school gym metal bleachers, rusting in the sunshine with no cover. So essentially, if you wish to actually see a race, you need to watch it on tv in the club section, yet only selected races.

The handles are non-existent, further diminishing the want or need for horsemen to travel here. The reduced size of trainer/care areas is also inducement to avoid the area.

Let's face it, after John Brunetti killed Hialeah, there left Calder ("Come watch hores run on sand!" ) and Gulfstream, as Pompano Harness has become a venue for slots now that all of the property north of Racetrack Road has been sold off to provide for faceless warehouses (Yup, the restaurant is looong gone ), leaving little room for sulkies on the south side, let alone stalls. And now Gulfstream is trying to turn itself into a "Hard Rock Cafe" East, due to it's proximity to the Hollywood chain. So instead of winter meets, we get concerts featuring bands that were old in the seventies.

The horse racing industry is on it's last legs here in South Florida. Through shortsightedness (jumping on trends) and lack of reinvesting in the clubs properly (this includes educating younger generations to the intricacies and delights of the sport) the track owners only have themselves to blame. And quite frankly, when was the last time that anyone gave a shit about track owners? After gouging horsemen and the public alike for so many years, it's about time that they received a taste of their own medicine.

It's a shame however that the individual horsemen and their families have to suffer as a result. Most are learning to cross South Florida off of the travel itinerary.

That's a real shame about Gulfstream. I checked their website and it seems that horse racing is definitely a "sideline" now. Admittedly though, the handwriting was on the wall for the place as soon as the Donn family got out of the business. They were a nice bunch of folks who genuinely loved horse racing and <gasp> even cared about the community. Hell, they even had numerous low cost "family days" where minors were allowed in to see the grounds and some races. Its really sad what's happened to the places down there that were nearly a stone's throw from where I grew up (directly between Gulfstream and Hollywood Dog Track, another travesty).
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love watching horse racing. In SC where I grew up we had 2 big purse steeplechase races a year and here in cville we have a spring and fall race. I actually go to watch the horses (and have a few drinks as well). I have a few friends that I grew up with that have horses that are racing for some pretty serious cash!

We always have or attend a Derby party but I'd kill to actually GO!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about betting on the filly, Eight Belles.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday at the track I got a tip to watch for Pyro in the derby, from one of my handicapping buddies. I like Z Fortune too, Robbie Albarado is the jockey on this horse, he one of the best at Churchill these days.

Last Online

To further illustrate the at times butt-fuckingly clueless nature of the track owners here in S. Florida, until around noon today, residents would not be able to wager on the Derby.

That's correct boys and girls, displaying the normal lack of courtesy for fans of the sport here, the concerned waited until the last possible minute to resolve an issue that should have been settled months ago. And naturally, Calder screwed the pooch, which is pretty much SOP.

All bets on: Kentucky Derby wagering available at some local tracks
    By Tom Jicha | Sun-Sentinel.com

"South Florida horse players will be able to bet on the Kentucky Derby and all its supporting races after all. They just won't be able to do it at Calder Race Course.

An agreement was hammered out at 11:45 a.m. Friday that allows Gulfstream Park and Palm Beach Kennel Club to accept simulcast wagers on the Friday and Saturday cards from Churchill Downs by importing the signal through Tampa Bay Downs.

Churchill Downs, which had to grant permission for the unconventional arrangement, issued a statement saying it did so as a service to horseplayers. Gulfstream and Palm Beach immediately began taking bets.

Calder, which has not been able to reach agreement on a purse contract with horsemen, is still denied the Churchill signal. Kentucky horsemen, in a show of solidarity with Calder horsemen, have denied Churchill the right to send its signal to Calder, a right given the horsemen by federal law.

Isle of Capri (nee Pompano harness track), South Florida dog tracks and jai alai frontons, which normally take evening wagers on thoroughbred races, also will be able to take bets on the Derby only, since its post time is past 6 p.m. (Listed post time is 6:04.) Bettors are not restricted to those confined few moments. The facilities were able to begin taking Derby wagers Friday."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,4692368.story
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

That's correct boys and girls, displaying the normal lack of courtesy for fans of the sport here, the concerned waited until the last possible minute to resolve an issue that should have been settled months ago. And naturally, Calder screwed the pooch, which is pretty much SOP.
    Just out of curiosity can you normally bet on simulcast Churchill Downs races at Calder Race Course?

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fingers View Post
    I'm thinking about betting on the filly, Eight Belles.
    Well you mite have something with that one, Proud Spell just won the Kentucky Oaks she has the same trainer as Eight Bells, Larry J Jones from Hopkinsville Ky. She also has the same Jockey Gabriel Saez from Port Darien, Panama.

Eight Bells has not run against the males yet, it should be interesting. Today race was a sloppy track, we had thunder storms, and tomorrow showers are in the forecast.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Stiil_A_Fan View Post
    Just out of curiosity can you normally bet on simulcast Churchill Downs races at Calder Race Course?
    Churchill Downs Incorporated owns Calder, so you'd think it would be only natural that they'd exchange feeds. It's not so simple. What threw the wrench into the works was starting a season without an agreement with the horsemen. And now that a lawsuit is under way, it has screwed up some of the wagering at Calder. As a result, there are no listings so far in May yet for CD. Here's the card (by the way, it's a damned pdf file, as such you may not be able to see it. Sorry ):
    http://www.calderracecourse.com/raci...d/may_simo.pdf

And here is some background on the entire mess with the horsemen, which led to the signal being blocked:
    http://www.churchilldownsincorporate...012008jkl.html
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Col John
    Eat Us and Smile!