Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Five Sports Franchises We Love to Hate

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_...rd/daily_list/

Five Sports Franchises We Love to Hate
    By Lang Whitaker, SI.com

What's fun about rooting for sports teams isn't just rooting for the teams we like, but cheering against the teams we don't like. I'm an Atlanta Braves fan, but would being a Braves fan be as satisfying and gratifying without the existence of the New York Mets to provide the yin to the Braves' yang? It's nothing personal -- I have many Mets fans I consider friends. I just don't like your collection of athletes because they're you're collection of athletes. Here are the five most fun sports franchises to hate...

1. Any Major Team From Boston: The Red Sox, Celts and Patriots currently occupy that number one slot. Not so much because they all have more money than the treasury and have basically managed to assemble All-Star teams, but because they all win, all the time, and their fans love nothing more than to make sure everyone else knows about this. And nobody loves a winner who rubs it in.

2. New York Yankees: Run by a family of husky men with bad haircuts, the Yanks win and win and win and then remain competitive by throwing money at their issues.

3. Los Angeles Lakers: Lakers fans seem to have some sort of "us against them" mentality, and believe that if people aren't Lakers fans, they must hate anything and everything to do with the Lakers and/or Kobe Bryant. They may be correct.

4. THE Ohio State University: Buckeye fans have had the legs for their argument for dominance knocked out from under them lately, what with the way they keep losing in championship games. But you'd never know State can't win the big one by listening to them Buckeyes. (By the way, we get it: You're THE Ohio State University. Nice sweater vests.)

5. Chelsea: After a few years of mediocrity, the Blues were purchased by a billionaire, bought every great player in Europe, installed a coach who called himself "the special one" and spent a few years dominating everyone. The Special One is gone, but that sense of entitlement from their fans remains.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post

Five Sports Franchises We Love to Hate
    By Lang Whitaker, SI.com

What's fun about rooting for sports teams isn't just rooting for the teams we like, but cheering against the teams we don't like. I'm an Atlanta Braves fan, but would being a Braves fan be as satisfying and gratifying without the existence of the New York Mets to provide the yin to the Braves' yang? It's nothing personal -- I have many Mets fans I consider friends. I just don't like your collection of athletes because they're you're collection of athletes. Here are the five most fun sports franchises to hate...

1. Any Major Team From Boston: The Red Sox, Celts and Patriots currently occupy that number one slot. Not so much because they all have more money than the treasury and have basically managed to assemble All-Star teams, but because they all win, all the time, and their fans love nothing more than to make sure everyone else knows about this. And nobody loves a winner who rubs it in.

2. New York Yankees: Run by a family of husky men with bad haircuts, the Yanks win and win and win and then remain competitive by throwing money at their issues.

3. Los Angeles Lakers: Lakers fans seem to have some sort of "us against them" mentality, and believe that if people aren't Lakers fans, they must hate anything and everything to do with the Lakers and/or Kobe Bryant. They may be correct.

4. THE Ohio State University: Buckeye fans have had the legs for their argument for dominance knocked out from under them lately, what with the way they keep losing in championship games. But you'd never know State can't win the big one by listening to them Buckeyes. (By the way, we get it: You're THE Ohio State University. Nice sweater vests.)

5. Chelsea: After a few years of mediocrity, the Blues were purchased by a billionaire, bought every great player in Europe, installed a coach who called himself "the special one" and spent a few years dominating everyone. The Special One is gone, but that sense of entitlement from their fans remains.
    I don't mind the Yankees. Their winning never bothered me, but it's understandable why they're on the list.

Agreeable list, I'd say. Throw North Carolina's college basketball program in there for me instead of the Yankees and I'd pretty much be set

(I know I'll probably get stoned for that last remark, but whatever. Always been a Duke guy.)
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Dallas Cowboys would be in my top 5. "America's Team" eh? No one polled me on that one.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Yep. Can take any and all college teams off because they don't matter to me. And what the hell is Chelsea? Didn't know the spawn of Slick Willie was fielding a sports team! Put the Canadians on that list, perhaps the Cowboys or the Dolphins (maybe the Raiders, but I think everyone is too busy laughing at them to hate them any more!). And other than the Celtics, what the hell are they talking about Boston teams winning "all the time". Sheesh - the Red Sox win 2 World Series in 4 years after an '86 year drought, and now all of a sudden they're winning "all the time"? I dunno - maybe the author knows of Eddymon and that's the real reason he hates them. Same deal with the Pats - they're laughably pathetic for the better part of 40 years, and now that they've had some success (although, in this "what have you done for me lately?" world, they haven't won a Super Bowl in awhile) and now all of a sudden they've achieved villain status? If the Pats are villains, I think it has more to do with Bellicheck than they're winning. But I'm biased as they're ok with me!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

I know that people hate teams that win all the time....so that's a valid argument. But the Yankees still have SO MUCH more money than the red sox do. And in fact the Tigers have a higher payroll than the Red Sox. So I don't buy the money issue. They won the world series last year with Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Youkilis. All of them were drafted by the Sox and two of them were rookies. Varitek was not drafted by them, but did come up with them and has been on the team for over a decade. He also is only a 1 or 2 time all star. Ortiz was signed as a free agent when he was a virtual nobody. And Julio Lugo was their SS. So they didn't just go out a buy a world series championship team. While they did get some good players through free agency and they have the money to do so... many of those key pieces were developed within the organization. They know how to build a winner where as the Yankees obviously don't with much more money.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

1.New York Yankees

2.New York Jets

3.New York Knicks

4.New York Rangers

5.New York Mets

Don't really have anything against the Islanders, and the Giants earned my eternal gratitude with their Super Bowl win.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

That guy sounds like a Laker fan, because that's EXACTLY how we Laker fans feel...because it's true.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post

Amen to that! I'd also like to add in the Kansas men's b-ball team..and the major college football powerhouses.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985 View Post
    I know that people hate teams that win all the time....so that's a valid argument. But the Yankees still have SO MUCH more money than the red sox do. And in fact the Tigers have a higher payroll than the Red Sox. So I don't buy the money issue. They won the world series last year with Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Youkilis. All of them were drafted by the Sox and two of them were rookies. Varitek was not drafted by them, but did come up with them and has been on the team for over a decade. He also is only a 1 or 2 time all star. Ortiz was signed as a free agent when he was a virtual nobody. And Julio Lugo was their SS. So they didn't just go out a buy a world series championship team. While they did get some good players through free agency and they have the money to do so... many of those key pieces were developed within the organization. They know how to build a winner where as the Yankees obviously don't with much more money.
    Last time I checked MLB had no salary cap, the Yankees are spending there own money. If you think about it every team that wins a championship BUYS it, how many players on last seasons Red Sox Roster grew up on Boston and then played minor league ball with the Red Sox?? I am going to guess none. Each player is a hired hand.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) New York Mets
    2) Duke Basketball (order will flip flop depending on what time of year it is)
    3) ....... That's really it. I find some other teams annoying, but none that I really can't stand. When I was a kid, I hated the Steelers and the Cowboys, now not so much. Yankees / Red Sox are in the American League which doesn't interest me, and while they both irritate me, it's not hate. NBA.... can't even watch it.
    Last edited by VAREB; 04.30.08 at 02:52 PM.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I HATE THE FUCKING METS!!! Always have always will. Everyone else gets free pass.
    Last edited by fudd; 04.30.08 at 02:53 PM.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I HATE THE FUCKING METS!!! Everyone else gets a free pass.
    How do you feel about the Mets fud?
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    Agreeable list, I'd say. Throw North Carolina's college basketball program in there for me instead of the Yankees and I'd pretty much be set

(I know I'll probably get stoned for that last remark, but whatever. Always been a Duke guy.)
    Jesus son??? And to think I once thought highly of you. I hope that goat fucks the Cubbies right in the ass.
    Archie Bunker

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    Last time I checked MLB had no salary cap, the Yankees are spending there own money. If you think about it every team that wins a championship BUYS it, how many players on last seasons Red Sox Roster grew up on Boston and then played minor league ball with the Red Sox?? I am going to guess none. Each player is a hired hand.
    Manny DelCarmen?

But on the other hand, I think the Yankees seem to be filling less holes with money lately. Can't think of the last "up and comer" on a "small market" ball club that was scooped up by the Bronx Bombers. Besides their anchor of Jeter, Posada and Rivera, they have guys like Cabrera, Cano and some of these pitchers that came up through the system. I think a lot of their salary is paying for guys they signed several years ago, the rest on keeping their own. Of course, as some of those contracts expire and if they keep not winning the World Series, I can see Steinbrenner, Inc. firing up the ol' money wagon again.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    How do you feel about the Mets fud?
    I loathe them.