Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Plot loopholes - movies that just make no sense at times

It's half an hour till my favorite soap, I'm bored

Terminator - okay so we don't know yet anything about what kind of time travel paradoxes time travel can cause. But looking at the storyline - John Connor sends his best soldier into the past to protect his mom, they have a quick affair and that leads to birth of John. Okay lets assume the movie shows the 2nd re-run of 1984 events, where the future John (Connor II) is a son of Kyle Rees who had been sent into the past by Connor I, who was a son of whoever else when the event had been happening for the first time. But regardless of his heritage, skynet sends a terminator into the past who gets hydropressed, and his remains lead to the creation of skynet. So technically terminator gave a birth to skynet. Meaning that skynet created skynet. What?

Independence Day - in Area 51, the genius guy uploads the virus into the alien fighter and this way shuts down it's protection field. So then they fly into a mothership, upload the virus there, and that shuts down fields of not only main ship, but also all saucers over the Earth AND all tiny fighters. When it had been shown that even the ancient one in Area 51 had a locally generated shield

Back To The Future 1 - in the very end, Doc re-appears in his DeLorean and goes totally nuts, screaming MARTY WE HAVE TO HURRY ZOMG!! It's About the future we have to go now and save your kid! Grab the girl, we don't have time!
    Erm, you're in a time machine, doc! Completely ruined 2nd movie - marty's gf shouldn't have been there at all.

Lord Of The Rings - Two Towers
    Theoden: We'll take all warriors, women and children and make a stand in our super-awesome 2nd best fortress in the world.
    Aragorn: Madman! We should all go into open fields and fight!

My favorite movie, but I to date don't get how's all of that meant to make any sense.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Independence Day - in Area 51, the genius guy uploads the virus into the alien fighter and this way shuts down it's protection field. So then they fly into a mothership, upload the virus there, and that shuts down fields of not only main ship, but also all saucers over the Earth AND all tiny fighters. When it had been shown that even the ancient one in Area 51 had a locally generated shield
    I loved how the virus was able to function on the Alien's computer systems. They must run Windows or Apples!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts

Donor

It's half an hour till my favorite soap, I'm bored

Terminator - okay so we don't know yet anything about what kind of time travel paradoxes time travel can cause. But looking at the storyline - John Connor sends his best soldier into the past to protect his mom, they have a quick affair and that leads to birth of John. Okay lets assume the movie shows the 2nd re-run of 1984 events, where the future John (Connor II) is a son of Kyle Rees who had been sent into the past by Connor I, who was a son of whoever else when the event had been happening for the first time. But regardless of his heritage, skynet sends a terminator into the past who gets hydropressed, and his remains lead to the creation of skynet. So technically terminator gave a birth to skynet. Meaning that skynet created skynet. What?
    Time travel movies always have loopholes and leaps of faith one must take to enjoy the story.

No, the shield generated from the ship from the Roswell crash at Area 51 only fired up when the mothership came into orbit. Remember Brent Spiner (ST-TNG's Data) told the prez all the 'doohickeys' had just turned on for the first time in 40 years when the invasion force arrived. Was not locally generated. That aside, Independence Day has a ridiculous amount of far fetched plot points. Still, a good flick if you can get past the cliches.

LOL, Sci-Fi and fantasy flicks should not be watched if one cannot get past the non-realism. They are exclusively for ESCAPISM.

How about Tyrell letting Sebastian come up to his guarded penthouse in the dead of night just to talk a little chess? How about the Tyrell corporation, knowing replicants are on the loose, not having detection systems in place...like their elevators...for unauthorized personnel?

How about Pris taking the time to do her gymnastic routine instead of snapping Deckard's neck when she had the chance?

Sci Fi is not for realists.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    I loved how the virus was able to function on the Alien's computer systems. They must run Windows or Apples!
    Not to mention if the green bastards could travel across the galaxy they'd at least have some sort of firewall! Um, did humans have firewalls in 1997 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Time travel movies always have loopholes and leaps of faith one must take to enjoy the story.

No, the shield generated from the ship from the Roswell crash at Area 51 only fired up when the mothership came into orbit. Remember Brent Spiner (ST-TNG's Data) told the prez all the 'doohickeys' had just turned on for the first time in 40 years when the invasion force arrived. Was not locally generated. That aside, Independence Day has a ridiculous amount of far fetched plot points. Still, a good flick if you can get past the cliches.

LOL, Sci-Fi and fantasy flicks should not be watched if one cannot get past the non-realism. They are exclusively for ESCAPISM.

How about Tyrell letting Sebastian come up to his guarded penthouse in the dead of night just to talk a little chess? How about the Tyrell corporation, knowing replicants are on the loose, not having detection systems in place...like their elevators...for unauthorized personnel?

How about Pris taking the time to do her gymnastic routine instead of snapping Deckard's neck when she had the chance?

Sci Fi is not for realists.
    True, I'm just abit of a knob sometimes . Still, if you take for example the same Two Towers Aragorn and Legolas arguing scene for example.

Aragorn: Bleh, farmers, potters - I'd be lol-ing if any of them would manage to hold a sword
    Legolas: Yeah, they're all gonna die - I can see it in their eyes
    Aragorn: WTF? Then I'll die as one of them!

Talk about totally contradicting yourself!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Momentary suspension of disbelief. It's what's for dinner if true entertainment is to be obtained.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Back To The Future 1 - in the very end, Doc re-appears in his DeLorean and goes totally nuts, screaming MARTY WE HAVE TO HURRY ZOMG!! It's About the future we have to go now and save your kid! Grab the girl, we don't have time!
    Erm, you're in a time machine, doc! Completely ruined 2nd movie - marty's gf shouldn't have been there at all.
    It's funny you mention Back To The Future. I've seen that movie more times than I can count and every time I watch it I'm focusing on finding errors in the timeline, storyline, etc.

I think the writing of these movies is brilliant. They did an incredible job covering all of their bases, especially in Part 2 where their crossing over the future, the present, and the past. It is very hard to find errors of any kind nevermind blatant errors.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

The Back to the Future DVDs are awesome. They have adcedotes (sp?) which point out all of the connections between the three movies as you watch them.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    They have adcedotes (sp?) which point out all of the connections

Dude....that would be "anecdotes". Wow, you butchered that one!
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

There was never supposed to be a BTF trilogy. The ending screwed up the next two movies because they had planned the ending to be kind of a joke and leave it at that. But because the movie was wildly successful, they had to go back and write past some of those errors they created themselves--hence having Jennifer "passed out" for basically two whole movies.

When you take that into consideration, it was probably the best writing ever.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Dude....that would be "anecdotes". Wow, you butchered that one!
    Yes I did. Too damn lazy to look it up!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

I don't know if this counts as plot "loop holes"......but can anyone here explain "Jacobs Ladder" to me......I've seen it a half dozen times and interpeted the ending differently a half dozen times

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Momentary suspension of disbelief. It's what's for dinner if true entertainment is to be obtained.
    This guidline is so true for sci-fi films.....although I have to admit I am guilty of asking the same things of the virus plot used in Independence Day. I actually laughed out loud in the theatre.

But getting back to the point, suspension of disbelief is a must when going to see Star Wars or Star Trek, BTTF, whatever.....

One of the BIGGEST complaints I heard as far as plot holes go was for the Mel Gibson flick Signs. People just couldn't get past the fact that (highlight to see spoilers) water was deadly to the aliens. "If they could build ships to take over our planet then why weren't they smart enough to blah blah blah blah blah BLAH!!"

The movie had a larger point, and it wasn't the fuckin aliens. It was about faith and fate and how one deals with them in the most extreme degrees. The people who were hung up on the whole Earth is covered 75% by water thing weren't able to see the bigger picture. I'm an athiest and I got what the director was trying to say....and I thought it was a damned good script.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Stripes - "Several members left this post...", they didn't tho until later... in the new DVD version you see a previously deleted scene where Bill Murray and Harold Ramis try to leave. I think they cut it b/c the original concept was "Cheech and Chong join the Army", and then that scripte eventually became Stripes. This scene reaks of a Cheech and Chong movie, its just doesn't fit that well.

Star Wars - (not really a loophole) The Biggs scene on Tatooine was in the book when I was a kid, but not in any version of the movie. You can see it on youtube. As a kid, I didn't know about cut scenes, and there were even pictures from the scene.

Ok- there must be another one, because this wasn't it, but it does have the picture that was in the Scholastic book.

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ok, this isn't really a loop-hole either, but since we're talking about Star Wars - why the fuck does Luke get so upset when Ben dies??? From what I can tell, he's only known Ben for about 24hours (or less). but when his Uncle and Auntie (who raised him like they were his parents) get killed by the Sandpeople he's almost non-plussed by it. Just about shrugs his shoulders and goes and hits the piss with new best-bud Ben.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave CanSing View Post
    Ok, this isn't really a loop-hole either, but since we're talking about Star Wars - why the fuck does Luke get so upset when Ben dies??? From what I can tell, he's only known Ben for about 24hours (or less). but when his Uncle and Auntie (who raised him like they were his parents) get killed by the Sandpeople he's almost non-plussed by it. Just about shrugs his shoulders and goes and hits the piss with new best-bud Ben.
    LOL, Star Wars continuity has a lot of irregularities. One of the more irritating aspects of the prequels was discovering R2's ability to fly. Um, yeah, CGI advancements aside, that might've been helpful, oh, I dunno, like a thousand times in the original trilogy...the terrain on Tatooine for a droid on treads for god's sake - yeah, and Endor's forest was no problem for him either, falling off the X Wing into the swamp on Dagoba, instead of falling off Jabba's barge he coulda just took off gracefully...and so on and so forth.

So Sam Jackson got the only one of a kind lightsaber color because...he's Sam Jackson?

I can live with that, but, might've been cool to see a few more types. Burnt Sienna, for example.