Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Default Sweep Picking

I've been practicing this technique on and off for years now and still can't do sweeps. I'm looking for some advice from the people who have gotten it down. How long does it take to get down? What kind of patterns should I use to start? I have decent technical ability on guitar but this has eluded me for so long...
    I'm not a Malmsteen or Dragonfoce fan or anything like that but I just want to learn this technique because I can't do it! If that makes any sense..

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

first off its a simple technique in theory but takes a great deal of practice to pull off and get right...the whole idea is to play all the note of an arpeggio in one single motion or "sweep" hence the name.
    firstly i would look at your gear and how its set up, you'll find it much easier with a nice low action and lighter gauge strings.
    start by playing arpeggios that are already familiar to you an open d-chord shape is a good place to start and only play the 3 notes in that chord to begin with (a,d and f#)...remember to use the tips of your fingers and to mute each note imediatly after you've played it . for the basic d shape i only use 2 fingers (index and middle) as this helps with the muting, having to physicaly take my fingers off the strings.
    your right hand should be in a nice relaxed position but try to use the tip of the pick if you can and always angle it slghtly as this will help with a nice fluid sound and also reduce string resistance.
    simply start with a down stroke and as soon as you get to the bottom (or the top strings!) change direction, take it slowly at first, i would say use a metronome and only speed up once you have mastered playing it cleanly. once the basic d-chord is in the bag you can add a hammer-on to it just hammer an a note on the e-string straight after you have played the final f# this will also give you a little breathing space ready for your up-stroke.

then just experiment with other simple to play arpeggios until you have it mastered

hope this made some kind of sense
    tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mate - I was in the same boat, I would always string - skip arpeggios rather than sweep as I couldn't get it down....one day I just said 'Right, you ain't gonna beat me' and really knuckled down......all you need are easy steps..

1) Relax your grip on the pic - don't hold too tightly so it's rigid

2) Find a simple three string pattern to start - once you can do this - the rest becomes much easier

3) Set you drum machine or metronome to an embarrassingly slow speed

4) Complete one up-down sweep (ie continuous motions in each direction) per beat until clean and in-time.

5) Increase your speed by around 5BPM a minute for each increment...

It really is that simple - but you just need to stay focused during the incredibly boring bit whilst you get your mind around it.....

Hope this helps - it worked for me! (Thing is, now that I can do it - I never use it! ;o) )
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    (Thing is, now that I can do it - I never use it! ;o) )
    i'm exactly the same, its a rare day indeed that i sweep pick anything anymore. usually if i play an arpeggio i'l alternate pick it for a more aggressive percussive sound.

but dont let that stop anyone from learning, it can be fun to do and opens up some really great avenues for the neo-classical genre as well as mainstream rock etc

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i'm exactly the same, its a rare day indeed that i sweep pick anything anymore. usually if i play an arpeggio i'l alternate pick it for a more aggressive percussive sound.

but dont let that stop anyone from learning, it can be fun to do and opens up some really great avenues for the neo-classical genre as well as mainstream rock etc
    Ha - It's weird...I've just realised......out of all the songs we do (cause I'm a sellout and only do covers now in various acts), the only tune I sweep in is over the keyboard intro before the main riff to Living on a Prayer......all that practice for basically some Em arpeggios that last about 8 seconds....

Damn.

You're right though - you do get a sense of achievement when you can finally do them - and in soundcheck and Yngwie type flurry always turns peoples heads! ;o)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

You're right though - you do get a sense of achievement when you can finally do them - and in soundcheck and Yngwie type flurry always turns peoples heads! ;o)
    HA thats why I want to learn it. I doubt I'd use it much but it looks impressive and sounds cool at times. Thanks for the tips guys. Right now I'm going across all 6 strings so I guess I'll focus on just three string sweeps for now.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cowboy View Post
    HA thats why I want to learn it. I doubt I'd use it much but it looks impressive and sounds cool at times. Thanks for the tips guys. Right now I'm going across all 6 strings so I guess I'll focus on just three string sweeps for now.
    if you listen to a lot of yngwie stuff he tends to play a lot of sweep picked arpeggio's on just 3 strings i think it sounds more fluid anyway, sweeping accross 5 strings is cool but sometimes its what you dont play that turns heads

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    if you listen to a lot of yngwie stuff he tends to play a lot of sweep picked arpeggio's on just 3 strings i think it sounds more fluid anyway, sweeping accross 5 strings is cool but sometimes its what you dont play that turns heads
    Don't listen to Tommy....he don't know what he's talking about - if you want to be really tasteful - you need to play like Rusty Cooley.

Seriously though - Tommy's spot on right about Yngwie's 3 string sweeps - they sound great. I'm not really certain who utilises 6 string sweeps a lot aside from Frank Gambale and Jason Becker who was just amazing......

Paul Gilberts first instructional vid had a good intro to sweep picking, just repeating a descending three string sweep over and over and buidling from there.........take a look on You Tube if you get a chance.....

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Don't listen to Tommy.... - you need to play like Rusty Cooley.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Yeah, YouTube has tons of stuff as far as lessons plus there's some guys on there who can just go up and down the neck effortlessly. You should look at some of Buckethead's shit. It's just sick. Plus there's a guy who does the Mario Bros. theme and all the sound effects using sweep picking and it just blew my mind. Check it out.
    I've never had the patience to sit down and practice sweeping. I try it for about 2 minutes and I'm like and go back to my Motley Crue and Def Leppard riffs.
    I keep thinking of that scene in Karate Kid 3 where Daniel says "Can you teach me to sweep Mr. Muyagi?" and Muyagi's like "Ok" and grabs a broom and starts sweeping the porch. Freakin' classic.