Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Default "The Mighty Miss" Is PMS'ing Again

I'm sure, by now, most of you know that I live in Iowa, right along the Mississippi River. Well...'ol Mighty Miss is "flowin' again and is out of her banks on the Iowa side of the Quad Cities again. Grante, not nearly as bad as in 1993. But River Drive (US 61/67) is closed and sandbagging and temporary flood walls are up or almost complete.

Right now the crest is supposed to be on Tuesday at just under 22 feet. Floodstage along the river fluxuates between 17 to 20 feet. Luckily there hasn't been a lot of rain, like '93, or I'm sure it'd be A LOT worse.

I'm sure your emember the image of a baseball stadium completely under water??

This picture is in 1993, just out front of the stadium:

This is one of the MANY pictures of the stadium

Well, flash foward to 2004. The stadium under-goes a $4 million renovation. THe field is actually raised up a few feet; the right field fence is moved in about 30 feet; and from left field all the way around to the area extending past the right field picnic area, they built up a flood berm (not sure how high but guessing about 15-20 or so feet) that is also used as general admission seating, plus temporary/removeable flood walls.

This is a view of the right field side NOT DURING THE FLOOD (just to give you perspective):

Taxpayers were PISSED about it. I was in favor of it. Flash forward now to this year. NO WATER ON THE FIELD...games still being played. VERRRRRY COOL to see the planning all come together.

Since the pictures are copyrighted on the newspaper website, here's a link to show how well the planning for this is all working out.

http://qconline.mycapture.com/mycapt...imageid=681886

By the way, for you baseball nuts, Steve Dillard was the manager in 1993 when the team was in the Astros system. Now he's back managing as the team is in the Cardinals system...
    Last edited by RRMB; 04.27.08 at 11:11 PM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Iowa, huh? I guess the government officials heard that voice.... "If you build it they will come."

Stay safe RRMB.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    I'm sure, by now, most of you know that I live in Iowa, right along the Mississippi River. Well...'ol Mighty Miss is "flowin' again and is out of her banks on the Iowa side of the Quad Cities again. Grante, not nearly as bad as in 1993. But River Drive (US 61/67) is closed and sandbagging and temporary flood walls are up or almost complete.

Right now the crest is supposed to be on Tuesday at just under 22 feet. Floodstage along the river fluxuates between 17 to 20 feet. Luckily there hasn't been a lot of rain, like '93, or I'm sure it'd be A LOT worse.

I'm sure your emember the image of a baseball stadium completely under water??

This picture is in 1993, just out front of the stadium:

This is one of the MANY pictures of the stadium

Well, flash foward to 2004. The stadium under-goes a $4 million renovation. THe field is actually raised up a few feet; the right field fence is moved in about 30 feet; and from left field all the way around to the area extending past the right field picnic area, they built up a flood berm (not sure how high but guessing about 15-20 or so feet) that is also used as general admission seating, plus temporary/removeable flood walls.

This is a view of the right field side NOT DURING THE FLOOD (just to give you perspective):

Taxpayers were PISSED about it. I was in favor of it. Flash forward now to this year. NO WATER ON THE FIELD...games still being played. VERRRRRY COOL to see the planning all come together.

Since the pictures are copyrighted on the newspaper website, here's a link to show how well the planning for this is all working out.

http://qconline.mycapture.com/mycapt...imageid=681886

By the way, for you baseball nuts, Steve Dillard was the manager in 1993 when the team was in the Astros system. Now he's back managing as the team is in the Cardinals system...
    My understanding is the ballpark's flooded again?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    My understanding is the ballpark's flooded again?

According to the article I read, the ballpark is dry, but getting to it is another matter.

QUAD CITIES -- Flooding is forcing a direct hit on some businesses that depend on the river for survival. That's the case with Alter Barge Line.

Each day that the river is closed to barge traffic, it costs the company up to $35,000. And there are more high water headaches.

About 90 of the company's barges are idled along the Mississippi. Nearly 60 of them are waiting to sail southward with export goods to New Orleans. The other 30 are waiting to come north with fertilizer and other supplies for the ag-industry.

"They would be picking up barges, making locks," said Larry Daily, Alter Barge Line president. "The pilots would be actually driving the boat instead of sitting and waiting. They're wondering if they're going to be called into action in an emergency or something."

Alter Barge hopes that southbound traffic will resume slowly next week on the backside of the crest. Northbound barges will have to wait even longer.

Flooding comes at a bad time for baseball fans. The River Bandits had to move three home games to other locations. But now the city and team might find a way to bridge that gap should flooding return in the near future.

While the River Bandits were forced to play in Clinton on Tuesday afternoon, workers were putting the finishing touches on a temporary bridge to the ballpark.

In less than a day, crews built a bridge from the parking lot to Modern Woodmen Park's front door. It's allowing city workers and stadium staffers to get in and out.

While the stadium's improved design is keeping water out of the ballpark, getting fans to the stadium is another story. The River Bandits had to move home games to Cedar Rapids on Monday night, Clinton on Tuesday and Iowa City on Wednesday night.

But the bridge could be a solution if high water strikes again.

"If the Lansing club showed up yesterday and saw this as a viable way to get their equipment in and out of the ballpark and their players safely in and out of the ballpark, I think the call they made to the Midwest League would a been a little bit different," said Cory Howerton, assistant general manager.

It's especially frustrating because the River Bandits were in the midst of their longest homestand of the season when the high water arrived. The team hopes to have everything in order for their next home game on May 8th.

Mississippi flooding also takes a toll on river recreation.

Rising water forced Buffalo Shores Campground to close on Saturday. Water continues to cover a good portion of the site.

Workers had to disconnect electrical panels, move picnic tables and shut down the boat docks.

After the crest, there will be a variety of chores before it can re-open to campers.

"The big thing now is how long it's going to stay up," said Roger Kean, Scott County Conservation Board director. "If we get additional rain, then it will keep up. If it does that, we could be closed for quite a while."

Depending on the aftermath, campers might have to look for another location during the busy Memorial Day weekend. Other Scott County sites along the Wapsi also remain submerged as of Tuesday.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I dunno if I'd want to go there if the place is surrounded by water. Might make a good horror movie - bunch of fans in a ballpark, water starts seeping in...AND THERE'S NO WAY OUT!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

I love what they did to that park. I have a lot of fond memories of the place.
    I worked concessions there during the late seventy's. Met a lot of future Major Leaguers there.

I also worked the Mississippi River Jam in 1979. The stage was set up out in center field. It was quite the stellar line up for the times. AC/DC, Heart, Nazareth, UFO and TKO.

Just east of left field is the Leclaire Park Band Shell. Saw Stevie Ray Vaughn there.
    Last edited by Nostalgia Act; 05.02.08 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling man....always spelling.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    I love what they did to that park. I have a lot of fond memories of the place.
    I worked concessions there during the late seventy's. Met a lot of future Major Leaguers there.

I also worked the Mississippi River Jam in 1979. The stage was set up out in center field. It was quite the stellar line up for the times. AC/DC, Heart, Nazareth, UFO and TKO.

Just east of left field is the Leclaire Park Band Shell. Saw Stevie Ray Vaughn there.
    Remember the Credit Island Jam?? A certain band that we, for whatever reason passionately love, was the co-headliner in '79.

Welp...the flood protection worked to plan. It kept the water out of the field, saving hundreds of thousands in repair to the field, seats, etc. and cleaning.

It'll now be interesting to see if there is any erosion to the berm. I'd doubt it considering it had four years to settle, grass to take hold and touch up's to it. I say $1.7 of $4 million well spent.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE