Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Default Feedback on new heastock on ebmm body.....

This is a new headstock I cam up with for my new guitar coming up, but I was screwing around and put it on an ebmm body and thought it worked well. The only thing I noticed is it looked a little big for the body. It's just because the music man head is so small. I could also make the body a little bigger, it is an idea because the ebmm body is a little small for some people. What do the guitar roomies think? The head is designed for floyd's new speedloader. The head stock would likely be painted black with a logo in front.........[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Scott, I'm a purist when it comes to the VH body/neck/headstock. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Floyd Rose Speedloader look. That's my personal feelings on the matter. It's not directed at build quality, etc.

As to body size, I'd love if someone would make the EBMM VH style guitar 1/8 times larger. At 6'4" it's too small. That is the only reason I don't own the VH's or Axis' any more. I feel and look like Lurch when playing them. They remind me of the Jackson Dinky, almost 7/8 size.

I'd like to see a rendition of one that has been increased to the +1/8 size. I'd think if you increased the body and headstock proportionately, it should flow nicely.

Just my thoughts, and by no means a dig as to your concept.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Resembles the headstock of the Floyd Rose guitars ...
    Would you be using a speeloader tremolo?
    If not, I'd be a little concerned what that cutout would do to the integrity of the structure once you drill tuners holes and put a little tension on it.

I think you may be on to something with the larger EBMM style bodys.
    The body size of the standard EVH (Axis) fits me just fine, but I've heard some bigger guys complain that it looks like a "toy".

What are the chances of you offering a Wolfgang with a little thicker body and a neck similar to the Peavey headstock with the scoop cut out?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    Scott, I'm a purist when it comes to the VH body/neck/headstock. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Floyd Rose Speedloader look. That's my personal feelings on the matter. It's not directed at build quality, etc.

As to body size, I'd love if someone would make the EBMM VH style guitar 1/8 times larger. At 6'4" it's too small. That is the only reason I don't own the VH's or Axis' any more. I feel and look like Lurch when playing them. They remind me of the Jackson Dinky, almost 7/8 size.

I'd like to see a rendition of one that has been increased to the +1/8 size. I'd think if you increased the body and headstock proportionately, it should flow nicely.

Just my thoughts, and by no means a dig as to your concept.
    Ya beat me to it.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

I am definately going to do some larger music man bodies. I have been wanting to do some for years. It is to small for some people, I know there would be a market for sure.That headstock will have NO tuning keys, as the floyd rose speedloader is double ball end. Most people I have talked to did not like the headstock that floyd came up with. But they like the concept of the speedloader. I did not like it either. But I like the idea of the head being ported out so to speak. His headstock was overall just to big and goofy looking on a strat style body. That is why people are buying the discovery series and ripping them apart just for the bridge! I wanted to make something a little smaller and sleeker. ]My goal is to come up with some headstock that look pleasing to the eye but at the same time are different enough to avoid trademark infringement. Dino, all the bodies like the wolfgang are open season to build, they do not have any design patents on the bodies. The peavy headstock is a design patent ( I looked it up ) owned by 3 people , hartley peavy, ED, and a third guy who was probably on the design team at peavy, he is probaly the guy who actually designed the whole thing not ed. That is why you see a slight change in the new fender wolfgang prototype, because ed cannot use the old one without hartley's permission. And ya know that is NOT going to happen, for the same reason ernie ball protected themselves. The thicker body is an interesting idea. The key is to combine woods that are not to heavy. I cannot imagine they are building his new guitar from a thicker mahogany body with a carve maple cap, Waaay to heavy MY idea is to build flat tops with a thicker maple cap , 1/2" cap, and reduce the amount of baswood or whatever body wood of choice. I have found that a lot of people don't even want the carve top. With a 1/2" cap you would increase clarity and bite, ernie ball only used 1/8"!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Her is one I did in 1995. This has a 1/2" cap. Makes a huge difference. You are able to get way more out of your notes without always having to crank up your amp. To put it in perspective that is 4x as thick as a factory ernie ball! It is not necessary to have a carve top with a floyd rose equipped guitar. It is more expensive for a thicker cap but it is worth it![IMG][/IMG]

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Scott,
    I'm HUGE into the design and engineering of the Axis! (I work in creative design\print so I notice forms and shape and whatnot...) I was tinkering with designing my own Axis with maybe a vintage style trem and a diff 3+3 headstock, but I knew I'd never meet the standards of the EBMM. I wasn't happy with the headstock I can up with (think very small\slim rickenbacker headstock). Yours looks really rockin! And I also say do NOT change the facade dimensions of the Axis! (I am very skinny fits me well!)
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

+1 on not digging the cutout on the headstock.

I can definitely appreciate the work and craftsmanship
    involved (and the thoughts and skill behind it).

Purely aesthetically, it does nothing for me and would
    probably detract me as a buyer.

However, I am intrigued by the jumbo EVH bodies. I'm 6'4"
    and I definitely make my Wolfgang look like a little guitar.
    Cool idea!
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you misunderstood me Scott ...
    I was, in a round-about way, asking if you could do a Wolfgang II body (a thicker version of the Peavey) and a matching neck with the new EvH cutout.

With your talent, I'm sure it could be done.