Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I hate rude behavior in a man... The Lonesome Dove Thread!

Lonesome Dove is my all time favorite western novel, and it's high time it had its own thread . Here's one of my favorite clips from the movie.

"Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Thats mine too.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The movie is so well done it's one of the few that if I'm reading the book, I actually picture the characters from the movie in my mind.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Last Online

03.07.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Tommie Lee Jones and Robert Duvall do an incredible job of portraying two of my favorite literary characters ever. I can't see anyone but them now when I read the book. ( I read it over again every couple of years )

There were a couple of casting choices in that movie that weren't so "perfect" but overall, I loved the miniseries.

The book is unequaled, in my opinion, by any other western ever written. A bold statement I know, but hey.. its my opinion.

I can still remember the feeling I got when I finished it the first time. I've never been so pissed off that a book was ending in my life. I mean the thing is fairly large, and I still wanted it to go on forever.

What an incredible gift McMurtry gave the world when he wrote this one.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lonesome Dove was pretty cool. Haven't read the books but I thought the original was well cast. Duvall, Jones, Danny Glover, Diane Lane (hottttttie), Anjelica Huston, Chris Cooper, Steve Buscemi. That's a hell of a cast. I've watched all the sequels/prequels and dug them but really only based on the strength of the original. Hard to top Duvall and Jones.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sinkiller View Post
    Tommie Lee Jones and Robert Duvall do an incredible job of portraying two of my favorite literary characters ever. I can't see anyone but them now when I read the book. ( I read it over again every couple of years )

There were a couple of casting choices in that movie that weren't so "perfect" but overall, I loved the miniseries.

The book is unequaled, in my opinion, by any other western ever written. A bold statement I know, but hey.. its my opinion.

I can still remember the feeling I got when I finished it the first time. I've never been so pissed off that a book was ending in my life. I mean the thing is fairly large, and I still wanted it to go on forever.

What an incredible gift McMurtry gave the world when he wrote this one.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes you hear people say you need to read the book, but in this case as good as the movie was, the book is that much more wonderful.
    Archie Bunker

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Would you cheat for a poke?

Archie Bunker

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

The movie was pretty good....but I encourage everyone I meet to read the book......I read alot (about a book a week)......covering most genres, with the exception of westerns, and Lonesome Dove is far and away my favorite novel.....funny thing is I have never read a "western" novel before or since....my Dad, who read all those Louie La Moure/Zane Grey stuff, kept trying to give me his beat up paperback version long ago, and I just had no interest in reading that "cowboy crap", so it just kicked around his house for couple years....when my Dad passed away I was cleaning up and boxing his old stuff when I came across the book.....I opened it and started reading right there in the middle of his bedroom closet and literally couldn't put it down.....The novel has always had a special place in my heart.....maybe because it's so good...or maybe because it's brings me a little closer to my Dad's memory.....maybe a little of both.....

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    The movie was pretty good....but I encourage everyone I meet to read the book......I read alot (about a book a week)......covering most genres, with the exception of westerns, and Lonesome Dove is far and away my favorite novel.....funny thing is I have never read a "western" novel before or since....my Dad, who read all those Louie La Moure/Zane Grey stuff, kept trying to give me his beat up paperback version long ago, and I just had no interest in reading that "cowboy crap", so it just kicked around his house for couple years....when my Dad passed away I was cleaning up and boxing his old stuff when I came across the book.....I opened it and started reading right there in the middle of his bedroom closet and literally couldn't put it down.....The novel has always had a special place in my heart.....maybe because it's so good...or maybe because it's brings me a little closer to my Dad's memory.....maybe a little of both.....
    Have you read any of the others? I wasn't a big fan of "Dead Man's Walk", but "Commanche Moon" and "Streets of Laredo" were excellent. Streets is alot darker than LD, while Comanche Moon pushes LD. Not quite as good, but excellent none the less.
    Archie Bunker

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    Have you read any of the others? I wasn't a big fan of "Dead Man's Walk", but "Commanche Moon" and "Streets of Laredo" were excellent. Streets is alot darker than LD, while Comanche Moon pushes LD. Not quite as good, but excellent none the less.
    Read them all.....and loved all three.....Streets was my fav, (outside of LD)....very dark, with some hard lessons for Call....the last few chapters about The Captain, crippled and reduced to sharpening tools for the locals was hard to read, but that's what I liked about the series.....unflinching look at what life was really like in the old west....

The Hallmark Channel/USA Network or whatever, Their adaptations of the sequels/prequels I could have done without.....Steve Zahn as Gus?.....David Arquette as Call?......James Garner was OK....I guess......I'll re-read the books before I'll watch those....

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Read them all.....and loved all three.....Streets was my fav, (outside of LD)....very dark, with some hard lessons for Call....the last few chapters about The Captain, crippled and reduced to sharpening tools for the locals was hard to read, but that's what I liked about the series.....unflinching look at what life was really like in the old west....

The Hallmark Channel/USA Network or whatever, Their adaptations of the sequels/prequels I could have done without.....Steve Zahn as Gus?.....David Arquette as Call?......James Garner was OK....I guess......I'll re-read the books before I'll watch those....
    I'm with you on all of the above. I think Streets was my favorite of the Preq. / Seq. Calls end was a sad one, but I think he was finally content, but he was humbled. Loved the dialog with John Wesley Hardin. I recall wiping tears out of my eyes some of it was so funny. "Calls economical... he don't kill people just 'cause they need killing..." was one of my favorite lines in the whole series.

I need to re-read that one. I think I've read LD 3 times, but none of the others. Probably ought to give "Dead Man's Walk" another read as well. It was probably my least favorite of the series.

I always approached the actors chosen from the perspective of who's gonna follow Jones and Duvall anyway? They'll never get a big name for fear of being shown up, and the fans will never be satisfied with an unknown.
    Archie Bunker

Last Online

Premium Member

Speaking of Pulitzer Prize winning novels that I have laying around my house un-read.....has anyone read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara?....it was given to me two years ago and was highly recommended.....I'm not a big Civil War buff, so I haven't bothered.....should I?

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Speaking of Pulitzer Prize winning novels that I have laying around my house un-read.....has anyone read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara?....it was given to me two years ago and was highly recommended.....I'm not a big Civil War buff, so I haven't bothered.....should I?
    Read It! It's excellent. Each chapter tells the story from a different perspective; either Lee, Longstreet, Chamberlain or Hancock. It's very well written and historicaly accurate.

I'm a huge Civil War buff; so my opinion may be somewhat biased, but I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. "Gods & Generals" and "The Last Full Measure" were great as well, but they were written by his son.
    Archie Bunker

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    Read It! It's excellent. Each chapter tells the story from a different perspective; either Lee, Longstreet, Chamberlain or Hancock. It's very well written and historicaly accurate.

I'm a huge Civil War buff; so my opinion may be somewhat biased, but I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. "Gods & Generals" and "The Last Full Measure" were great as well, but they were written by his son.
    OK.....I'll give it a shot.....I need something different anyway...I've been in "crime-noir" trend for awhile now.....thanks.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK.....I'll give it a shot.....I need something different anyway...I've been in "crime-noir" trend for awhile now.....thanks.
    I know what you mean. I've been stuck reading history from the Revolution up to the Civil War for a couple years now. I mix in the occasional McMurtry, but I need to broaden as well.

Let me know how you like it once you get into it. It's a pretty easy read. If you like those, the Newt Gingrich trilogy with the alternate Gettysburg ending is a worthy read as well. I know Newt Gingrich, but there really not that bad.
    Archie Bunker