Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Increasing Trillling Speed (Help)

We're all working on our fly picking technique :-) But I've never really been able to trill with much speed/fluidity and duration (1st & 3rd finger, 1st & 2nd finger... even trilling with the 1st or 2nd finger in the open position to an open note). My hands/fingers are not over big (I know... my poor wife) and it just doesn't seem to be improving naturally. Anyone remember being here and can tell me how you worked on developing this technique? Or point me in a direction?

Thanks
    Chris

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think we've determined from other similar threads that everyone sorta has their own technique ... there is no "right" way or "wrong" way. It's more a matter of what works for you.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "1st & 3rd finger, 1st & 2nd finger... " but I would maybe suggest taking notice of how you hold your pick and try to angle it where there would be the least resistance to the strings.

Other than that ... just practice, practice, practice!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I think we've determined from other similar threads that everyone sorta has their own technique ... there is no "right" way or "wrong" way. It's more a matter of what works for you.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "1st & 3rd finger, 1st & 2nd finger... " but I would maybe suggest taking notice of how you hold your pick and try to angle it where there would be the least resistance to the strings.

Other than that ... just practice, practice, practice!
    Sorry I wasn't clearer. Trilling with my fretting hand.

Thanks

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clearer. Trilling with my fretting hand.

Thanks
    you mean hammer-ons and pll offs between 2 constant notes....correct?

the only thing i can suggest is to keep practicing...also how is you hand postitioned, is your thumb behind the neck or over the top? maybe a slight change in fretting hand position may help.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right. Hammer ons/pulls offs. I find it a little better with the thumb behind the neck (not over the top). Is this generally considered the way to go?

Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    you mean hammer-ons and pll offs between 2 constant notes....correct?

the only thing i can suggest is to keep practicing...also how is you hand postitioned, is your thumb behind the neck or over the top? maybe a slight change in fretting hand position may help.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Chris, several years ago when I switched from guitar to bass, I found that not only did I lack the stamina to pull off some of the tricks on the instrument that I took for granted on guitar (such as hammer ons and pull-offs), I simply did not have the hand strength. So I simply went to KMart and bought a cheap set of these things.

Within one week of working with the devices, my fretting fingers were far more capable of wrenching the heavier strings on the bass, and hammering was quite an easy thing. As for playing straight guitar, the difference was night and day. I could stretch farther, a found a terrific flexibility as well. I also discovered increased control in my picking hand as well.

Now that I'm older, the need for keeping my hands and fingers in good shape is more important than ever, as I'm not only fighting fatigue, yet the inevitable effects of aging as well. As a result, I recently picked up a gadget similar to this one at a health food store. You'll notice it is designed to work all fingers separately.

I heartily recommend either appliance for building up your fretting hand. Once you have some more strength in your fingers, you'll find your abilities will increase as well as your endurance.

Hope this helps you as well as it aided me, and good luck to you in your development as a player.

craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd concur with Chef, and whether you keep your thumb behind the neck or over the top it simply up to preference. I went for years behind the neck, and eventually moved to over the top. The Gripmaster also makes a big difference, but there's no substitute for practice. Good luck!
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

jesus chef you can do trills on the bass ?

i dick around with our bass player's bass guitar sometimes and never thought of that.

btw if anyone wants to see some great trilling technique check out buckethead's live videos.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

I know this might sound a bit essoteric, but here goes:

There is also a very important mental aspect to learning quick trills. When you are "trying" to trill quickly, in your mind you must not "try." If you try too hard to be "fast" your muscles are going to tense up and your trills will be clunky and your hands and forearms will get sore.

The best trilling speed I developed didn't come until I began to play lead passages legato-style (without picking). In the end, fast trilling really becomes effortless in that your fingers are not moving very far; they move just the amount needed to play cleanly--with just enough power to produce a clean hit, but efficiently enough to produce the speed to trill the another note quickly.

When you "try" to trill too hard, your fingers will move inefficiently. Then you get frustrated and want to throw your guitar down the stairs.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

also something no-ones mentioned is string gauge
    if you are using a heavier gauge try switching to something a little lighter, i generaly use 10's on my rythm guitars but 9's (sometimes 8's) on my more "shred guitars"

but like a lot of people have said good fretting hand strength is very improtant
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    I know this might sound a bit essoteric, but here goes:

There is also a very important mental aspect to learning quick trills. When you are "trying" to trill quickly, in your mind you must not "try." If you try too hard to be "fast" your muscles are going to tense up and your trills will be clunky and your hands and forearms will get sore.

The best trilling speed I developed didn't come until I began to play lead passages legato-style (without picking). In the end, fast trilling really becomes effortless in that your fingers are not moving very far; they move just the amount needed to play cleanly--with just enough power to produce a clean hit, but efficiently enough to produce the speed to trill the another note quickly.

When you "try" to trill too hard, your fingers will move inefficiently. Then you get frustrated and want to throw your guitar down the stairs.
    First thanks to everyone (Chefcraig) for the input. Also, I can already see the merit with the quoted post here. I think the harder you try, the more you tense up and it's counter-productive. I guess it's a balance thing.

I've also heard of using the metronome and trying to increase every 5-7 days. Also, using an acoustic guitar to build up also.

Thanks again
    Chris

Thanks a bunch
    Chris

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

A big key is not to squeeze the pick so hard and yes stay relaxed...don't tense up. Keep your arm loose.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    A big key is not to squeeze the pick so hard and yes stay relaxed...don't tense up. Keep your arm loose.
    Thanks Brett. I have been working on the 'fly picking' and I can how right you are.

I'm kind of after the left/fretting hand trilling technique stuff, but I can see how this also applies. I stopped at Dunhams and bought the hand grippers for $4. I have the Gripmaster but I don't really find that it's done much for my trilling speed/fluidity/duration. I drive about 35 minutes to and from work each day and I use it constant to and from work, too. I am going to give the hand grips a try too as well as trying to relax.

Thanks again
    Chris

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I think those hand grippers are a quick ticket to the doctor, IMHO. Sometimes the best way to increase speed is to slow down when practicing and be disciplined about it. It will improve your technique which will improve your speed.
    Good luck!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i agree trilling is as much about accuracy as it is about hitting the string hard.

you really have to balance between both.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.