Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.22.08 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    I noticed that Dave didn't sing the songs like they were on the album, but he actually remembered more lyrics than when I saw him with Van Halen in 1984. I did miss his signature scream (which he lost many years ago), but Eddie's awesome playing was enough consolation IMO. That's who I was coming to see anyway. When Eddie is on his game, I could watch him play for eight hours straight and still not be tired of it. As far as Dave's sing goes, errr... not so much... but the two of them still sound great together.

I agree... Eddie's play was more than spectacular... and a true, special moment in time. More than made up for Dave's inconsistency... But, he' still a star and a real 'Diamond Dave' in my book. I only wish I had some video of the tour in '84 when they were here. Any place to get that live performance video?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.27.08 @ 11:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Riverfront Times Review + "Eruption" Video

This was my first time seeing Van Halen; agreed that EVH's guitar wizardry was amazing to see. I was also really excited to see how happy the band appeared to be onstage. Compared to the Police show last year, it was like night and day.

Someone has a great video up on YouTube already of "Eruption" from the show; I posted that and my review here:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/ato...n_at_the_s.php

Quote Originally Posted by AndThereYouHaveIt View Post
    I agree... Eddie's play was more than spectacular... and a true, special moment in time. More than made up for Dave's inconsistency... But, he' still a star and a real 'Diamond Dave' in my book. I only wish I had some video of the tour in '84 when they were here. Any place to get that live performance video?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unbelievable show! Decimated the 2004 show! I thought Dave saying that this may be the best night of the tour was part of his usual stage banter, but that was an amazing performance! Alex adding parts of Outta Love Again to the solo was cool. All solos were on fire. EVH was magical. WVH was great.

My step-father-in-law was "that guy" at the concert who gets so drunk that everyone's his best friend except his family. He lost his cell phone at Scottrade, said a lot of nasty things to me, his step-daughter, and his wife. Took us an hour just to get him in the car after he would run off a couple of times. We basically yelled at each other for an hour and then enjoyed the silence of the car. I haven't spoken to him since the concert and according to my wife he hasn't said much to my mother-in-law. He's in the doghouse for a while.
    So, if the night would have ended right after the concert, this would have been everything I had hoped for in a VH concert. Regrettably, I'm hoping to block out most of the memories except for the clips I have on my cell phone.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

10.16.19 @ 05:12 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 44 Posts

This show rocked! By far better the Chicago or KC. Had a great time before - during - and after. St Louis is a fun place to party.
    Aint life grand!

Little Dreamer vhfan_since_5thgrade's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.25.12 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default RFT Review

Riverfront Times Show Review: Van Halen at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, April 26 + Setlist -- Annie Zaleski

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/ato...n_at_the_s.php

"Van fucking Halen just rocked out like the old days."
    Last edited by vhfan_since_5thgrade; 04.28.08 at 07:14 AM. Reason: hyperlink was inactive

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

11.21.19 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 159 Times in 118 Posts

Donor

Wella...wellaaah...welllllaaaaah!...,,,yez yeah, baby!!....ooh well well....sho nuff!

Saturday's concert was simply the greates' concert experience I've EVER had.

Romeo Delight/Magic Bus, harp intro/Somebody Get Me A Doctor/I Don't Need No Doctor/Spoonful, and Ice Cream Man were my personal highlights.

I have ZERO complaints about this show. And all the complaining, whining, and crying about this tour is fucking pathetic. If you don't like this version of the band, you jus' mus' not like your life. Sorry about that, you miserable bastids.

A mighty thank you to the mighty Van Halen for the greates' rock n roll show on the planet, God damn it!!

I didn't miss the Mullet at all. About as much as I missed Bill Wyman when I saw the Stones.

Alex brought the thunder, Eddie was white lightnin' on the git-tar, Wolfgang was jus' great, and Diamond Dave made the Van Hagar/Van Cherone nightmare even more forgetful than it already wuz. Fuck Yeah!!!!!!
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If I had one biscuit, and sam hagar hadn't eaten nothin' in a month, I'd break it in two and eat both pieces.--Loons, celebrating Van Halen with David Lee Roth ONLY !!!

Greates' book about Van Halen of all times:
    https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Heat-Da...0840383&sr=1-1

2nd greates' book about Van Halen of all times:
    https://www.amazon.com/Van-Halen-Ris...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

All CVH and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

DOA, Cradle Will Rock
    Last Online

04.28.08 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What a show!

I am so glad I didn't let the K.C. show in October cloud my vision and not see VH on this tour again. It was killing me that they rescheduled Saint Louis twice so only just a week before the show I bought tickets. It's been said before, but when these guys are downright moody, sick, whatever, they just cloud the whole show. While musically tight, K.C. was a machine gun that was constantly firing and took no breaks from assaulting the crowd.

St. Louis on Saturday was magical, pure and simple. Ed and Dave really enjoyed being there and performing, something that's hard to do in Hagar territory. I can't imagine anyone seeing this show and saying this band is "a joke," as that douche afternoon DJ at a certain highly-regarded StL radio station called them a couple months ago. This was no joke, they slaughtered it, pure and simple. They could have easily phoned it in, but they put the effort out and all us there really appreciated it.

Sure, we never know when the train will derail again, but these guys are mighty and deserving of every accolade you can heap on a hard rockin' band. We all know by now we have to take the off field stuff with VH with a grain of salt. Don't let any of those issues get in the way. Walk, run or crawl to the nearest arena that's hosting VH and catch this experience. You'll thank yourself for the rest of you life.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.29.08 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamhlava View Post
    Just got back into town a few hours ago. All I can say is UNBELIEVABLE! Ed was on fire the whole night. Dave was the ultimate front-man. I'd read reviews about how Wolfgang barely moves and seems disassociated with the other band members. I saw the exact opposite last night. While he wasn't running laps around the stage he really seemed into it throughout the night. He did a short little solo that squashes any thoughts in the back of my mind that he might be faking it. Alex is a workhorse. 110% all night long. Bravo. A few observances.

Right before Romeo Delight I saw Wolfie whisper something into Eddie's ear. Ed took off his cream Charvel, went to the side of the stage, handed it to his tech, and appeared back with another cream Charvel???

I mentioned to my son that I didn't see Ed smoking at all. My son informed me that after Alex's solo he saw Ed flicking a cigarette onto the floor and exhaling on his way back out to the stage. Guess my son's 11 year-old eyes are better than his old man's.

Dave was doing a little improv schtick before one of the songs. You know where he's rhyming phrases almost faster than you can comprehend what he just said. Evidently he unveiled something brand new last night because Ed was literally laughing outloud at what DLR was spewing out. Priceless. If only I had been recording that.

All in all one of the best concerts I've ever attended and it was my son's first concert. I'd call it a good night in St. Louie.

Dave said something like, "I got a big nose. I got big toes, I got a big dick..."
    Eddie busted out laughing, as did I!!!
    Last edited by bschuhow; 04.28.08 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Didn't add comment

Favorite VH Album

Yeah boooooooy
    Favorite VH Song

Yeah boooooooy
    Last Online

04.23.14 @ 08:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great fucking show! VH came out really strong with tons of energy. Whatever was bothering Eddie in February is gone now. He was super sharp and played great. It looks like he's using a bit of a work-around for playing solos - using different fingerings and not using his little finger as much, but it works. Dave was on fire, even pausing Eddie during the intro to Mean Street to comment that this was one of the best shows of the tour. Dave was all over the place and really did a great job. There was plenty of interaction between Eddie & Dave, and Alex was all smiles the whole night. The highlight for me was when I finally got to hear Eddie nail the Ice Cream Man solo - finally after 6 shows!
    Eddie's solo was short and sweet as well... and he played the natural wood Wolfgang prototype for Jump. It looks like Eddie has 2 of the Ivory Wolfs - as I saw him swap guitars between songs.
    Great night in St.Louis for sure! Oh - an interesting note - this may have been the first show on the entire tour that Eddie wore a shirt for the entire show!
    And, on a side note - We managed to video tape about an hours worth of footage. If anyone has additional footage, let's get together and put it together - Let me know!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

04.30.12 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was the most intense concert going experience I've ever had! VAiN, that would be sweet if you could find another person who taped the concert too! And everyone keeps your ears and eyes open when you find bootlegs for the St. Louis show.

Favorite VH Album

Yeah boooooooy
    Favorite VH Song

Yeah boooooooy
    Last Online

04.23.14 @ 08:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tumby1974 View Post
    That was the most intense concert going experience I've ever had! VAiN, that would be sweet if you could find another person who taped the concert too! And everyone keeps your ears and eyes open when you find bootlegs for the St. Louis show.
    Yes - if we can find a different (better) audio source we'll be golden. I appreciate any help that I can get.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 1,216 Times in 560 Posts

Default Unbelievable

I don't know if a concert or concert experience can be perfect. I've given it a few days for a full review so I didn't just go by adrenaline. I've seen Van Halen 18 times or so. I've seen Metallica about 8 times, Pearl Jam a few times, Motley, Godsmack, Rush, Iron Maiden, Guns n Roses, Incubus, Alice In Chains, I could go on. I love concerts. They're my favorite outlet. Saturday night very may well have been the best concert I've ever seen. I admit their were plenty of variables. This is a Sammy town. For those of you not from here, Sammy consistently beats out bands like Metallica on KHE'S 'March bandness' contests, just to give you and example. I so badly wanted VH to make up for the postponements. I wanted people to speak well of my favorite band in my hometown. My brother took to my first concert in 1986. Van Halen 5150, night 3. Saturday he took his 13 yr old son to his first show. Kind of full circle for him. I saw VH kick ass in Charlotte opening night, I wanted to see them do that here. Plain and simple, they were better. There's nothing I can add that already hasn't been written on this thread. Ed is the best player on the planet, Dave is a true original. My opinion: Van Halen is the best band there has ever been. My opinion: Saturday night was one of the best, if not the best, concert I have ever seen. Thank you to the Mighty VH.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.29.08 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I don't know if a concert or concert experience can be perfect. I've given it a few days for a full review so I didn't just go by adrenaline. I've seen Van Halen 18 times or so. I've seen Metallica about 8 times, Pearl Jam a few times, Motley, Godsmack, Rush, Iron Maiden, Guns n Roses, Incubus, Alice In Chains, I could go on. I love concerts. They're my favorite outlet. Saturday night very may well have been the best concert I've ever seen. I admit their were plenty of variables. This is a Sammy town. For those of you not from here, Sammy consistently beats out bands like Metallica on KHE'S 'March bandness' contests, just to give you and example. I so badly wanted VH to make up for the postponements. I wanted people to speak well of my favorite band in my hometown. My brother took to my first concert in 1986. Van Halen 5150, night 3. Saturday he took his 13 yr old son to his first show. Kind of full circle for him. I saw VH kick ass in Charlotte opening night, I wanted to see them do that here. Plain and simple, they were better. There's nothing I can add that already hasn't been written on this thread. Ed is the best player on the planet, Dave is a true original. My opinion: Van Halen is the best band there has ever been. My opinion: Saturday night was one of the best, if not the best, concert I have ever seen. Thank you to the Mighty VH.
    I agree, this St. Louis concert is by far the greatest rock show, I've ever been too. I say, "Perfect"