Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default ***Saint Louis Reviews***

Reviews only please.

It's been about eight months since I first bought my Van Halen tickets for the October 28, 2007 Saint Louis show that got cancelled. Then the March 30, 2008 show was cancelled also. We've been waiting a long time to be able to post a review in this thread... and it looks like the third time is going to be a charm! Make sure to post your review here after you see the show tomorrow. See you at the Hard Rock Cafe (details on the Official Saint Louis thread).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Default Third Times a Charm

Van Halen came. Van Halen saw. Van Halen conquered.

The day started out shitty because the lot I was planning on parking in was closed off, so we had to try Union Station. They had some dance festival with 400 pound belly dancers and shit, which was just as bad as it sounds. My fiance and I walked around Scottrade, took some pictures of the trucks, tour buses, etc. (probably just to convince myself they were really there). After that, we made our way into the ticket office just to see if we could hear anything. Sure enough, after awhile, Alex was banging away testing things out.

Around 4:30 we left to head to Hard Rock back at Union Station. 1 hour 15 minute wait. Fuck that. We ate at Houlihans. Still good, but we missed tailgating and meeting everyone for drinks. After dinner we sat in the car, drank some beers, listened to VH, then we headed to the show.

The opening act was pretty good, short and sweet. The fiance dug it so we might look for his CD. Anyway, onto the main show!:

ED: Ed makes or breaks this band, and he made it tonight. It seemed like an impossibility to be able to say I would ever see my guitar at his best after 2004, but tonight, he made it possible. Whatever he did, clean up, whiten his teeth, drink from the fountain of youth, I don't know, it worked. He hit every note, nailed every solo, wowed the crowd with his solo, and grinned the night away. This made the concert.

DAVE: He really sang well and entertained like he does. Couldn't expect much more from him. He seemed happy in his place and glad to be there. I could listen to him talk for hours--that story before ICM is just awesome.

ALEX: Bocephus mode attained.

WOLF: Played bass, sang harmonies, gave goofy thumbs up and grins. Stick to that kid, and this band will make you a real star

Overall, this performance blew away anything I have seen previously live from the band and will be one that will stick in my memory forever. Thank you Van Halen. You made it to St. Louis and you rocked.....finally
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

04.30.12 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you David, Ed, Alex and Wolfgang. As bsbll4 said...they conquered.

We saw the crowd at hard rock and bailed on that too, heading over to houlihans.

Ryan Shaw wasn't too bad. I kinda enjoyed it, but was antsy to see those damn VH blimps!

Then the lights dimmed, the guitar wailed and magic was made. The 6 month wait was definitely worth it!!!

I was pretty surprised at how much of the vocals (and talking) I could understand from my nosebleeds (in 308)

Everyone played great. Sounded tight and was very energetic. I can't believe they end one song and go right into another! Fantastic. This is how an arena rock concert is done!!!

My hopes are that they continue this success with the rest of the tour, and sit down and plan an album!!!

Wow. Reading reviews from so many shows, you really can't get what people are trying to tell you until you have been to the show. Everyone looks like they are having fun.

Ed: Awesome playing. Loved the solo. The time off really made a difference.

David: the ultimate rock front man. Every punk ass emo band needs to attend a VH concert to see how it's really done!! I loved his martial arts moves and all the crazy stuff he was doing. He never lets up for the entire 2 hours. Amazing. Yeah, Ice Cream Man was a lot of fun.

Alex: Drum god. Amazing stamina

Wolfgang: Very talented bass player and really enjoyed watching him play and sing tonight.

I can't pick out any favorites because they were all great. Everyone...enjoy the rest of the tour! St. Louis finally came true!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 850 Times in 398 Posts

Premium Member

Default VH

I have to work in 9 hours so I'll keep it short for now. I'm pretty fucking sure that was the best concert I've ever seen. Edward was so ON it was ridiculous. Dave was in total control. Wolf smiled and did a couple of thumbs up to the crowd. Alex was Alex; perfect. I'm not sure what else to say; they were basically perfect.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I have to work in 9 hours so I'll keep it short for now. I'm pretty fucking sure that was the best concert I've ever seen. Edward was so ON it was ridiculous. Dave was in total control. Wolf smiled and did a couple of thumbs up to the crowd. Alex was Alex; perfect. I'm not sure what else to say; they were basically perfect.
    Great to hear! I sure hope to see them again...
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA

Chickenfoot
    6-3-12 Portland, OR

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tonight I was reminded of why I am a hardcore Van Halen fan. This show was unbelievable. I've read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of YouTube boots from this tour, and they have been all over the board - some good and some bad. So I didn't really know what to expect for tonight. When I saw Eddie's smile when he hit the stage, I knew we were in for a good show. He kept that smile on his face all night, and I have to say - I have never seen Eddie play better than he did tonight. He was so full of energy that I didn't care if Dave even sang a note.

The third time was a charm for sure. It was like Eddie was paying Saint Louis back for the first two show cancellations. This was not the Eddie Van Halen that I saw at this same venue in 2004. That Eddie didn't have a smile on his face. This Eddie did - and he didn't miss a note. Every lead solo was spot-on, and I didn't notice any of the out-of-synch timing that was prevalent on the YouTube videos from shows prior to the band's latest two-month break.

I came to the show expecting to miss Michael Anthony's presence. As much as I respect Mike, I have to say that I did not miss him very much. Eddie's playing was so magical and captivating that I didn't give a fuck if Mike Huckabee was playing bass. It was as if the Eddie Van Halen that we have missed for 10 years has come back with a vengeance. I don't know what Eddie did over the past two months, but whatever it was, it worked. The perpetual smile that he was wearing all night said it all. He was in his zone like I've never seen before.

As far as the rest of the band goes:

David Lee Roth: He was Dave. Dave doesn't have ups and downs. Dave is Dave. At least he is consistent.

Wolfgang Van Halen - I was pleasantly surprised by Wolfie's stage presence and sound. Wolf is not Mike Anthony, but he is a Van Halen and that was obvious when I heard him play tonight. It's obvious that his dad has taught him well. He did a small bass solo with some tricky hammers that made you say, "Like father, like son." Wolf also seemed to be holding his own on the backup vocals.

Alex Van Halen: His drumming is part of Eddie's signature sound. Alex was smiling all night - much more than I have seen him do so in the recent past. You could tell that he was ecstatic that Eddie was back on his game. After Wolf did his bass solo, Uncle Al was grinning ear to ear. The three of the Van Halen clan really do share some musical chemistry that is obviously genetic.

I can't wait to hear some of the boots from this show. It was well worth the wait.

Last Online

04.27.08 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rockn!
    Last edited by BOSOXRULE; 04.27.08 at 12:41 AM.
    Ya lollygag around around the infield, ya lollygag down to 1st, ya lollygag in and out of the dugout...ya know what that makes you?...LARRRY!!?......... .LOLLYGAGGERS!! lollygagers... -Bull Durham

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:46 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

12th VH show. and well worth the wait...

First of all, always always ALWAYS check the ticket situation the day of the show. At about 2:00, while I was waiting for my ride to STL, I happened to look at Ticketmaster to see if they had released any more good seats. I found section B, row 16, dead center on the floor was open. So I called them up, did some wrangling, and upgraded my section 102 seats to these floor seats--YES!

Little did I know that these were actually only 3 ROWS BACK from the half-C catwalk! Dave came out 3 times and stood 10 feet from us (blowing kisses and winking at the gals behind us), and Wolf even came out and threw something to the audience right before Jump.

BTW...for all the naysayers, cut the kid some slack. He did a fine job tonight. And he wasn't the sullen. moody child that everyone makes him out to be. He was having a blast, goofing with his Dad and uncle (I loved it when he grabbed one of Als drumsticks and starting banging the cymbals at the end of one song, then banged his bass strings with it), making googly eyes to some chick (maybe mom?) off to stage right, and just being a kid. Ed was beaming with pride. Well, done Junior!

And Ed...man the dude was so ON it wasn't even funny. I stood in awe for 2 hours.

This show blew away the 04 show and is right up there with some of the best VH tours I've seen over 25 years. Thanks for the ride boys--it was a good one!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Van Halen show I have seen since 1983!! Band was very tight and Ed's playing was flawless. Very inspired and all of what VH fans love about the band. I was not expecting anything close to this type of performance based on the YouTube clips from the tour. Thank you Eddie.
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with most of the posts from above. Eddie was freakin' great, I mean spot freakin' on (IMO - and I'm usually kind of harsh and I just couldn't be on this one - he was great). Was happy with Wolfgang (seems like he's getting pretty comfortable in front of a crowd). Alex was spot on. Dave, he had us laughing all show long (that guy can work a crowd). I think it was WELL worth the wait, ESPECIALLY if Eddie is as happy and healthy as he looked!

I was at the Hard Rock from about 3:45 on. We had to wait an hour for a table (put our name in about 4:30, but we didn't care because we knew we were gonna be there drinking until 7-ish). When we got there, the crowd wasn't bad at all and the bar was almost empty (however, that changed pretty quick once the ballgame got out). Wrong night for freakin' prom (would you have taken your prom date to the Hard Rock to eat? I would have lost my date pretty fast back in the day if I said we were gonna eat there.) The tuxes some of these guys wear now, we would have gotten our asses kicked when we were in school if we wore them (white tuxes with pink vests - what a crack up - preshow entertainment seeing what these kids were wearing).

I do have some questions for you guys about the sound of the show. I was in Section 101. If you were looking at the stage, I was to the immediate right (normally Eddie's side). They were good seats, we were within about 50 feet or so). A couple of things about the sound. One, I could barely hear Dave. Especially the first couple of songs. It got better, but not much at all. Two, it was the same for Wolf. The reason I'm asking here is that things sound so much different from different seats within the venue. I had friends in section 111 (close to the horseshoe end) and section 116 (directly opposite of me) and they told me much the same. Did you guys experience this? I don't know if it had to do with the show set up or the acoustical qualities of Scott Trade Center.

This show has my hopes up for the future of the band (which scares me a little).

By the way, Ryan Shaw was a pleasant surpise. He reminded me a bit of Corey Glover from Living Colour (not just 'cause of the dreds). Not bad at all. Hey, he did some Otis Redding, so that was cool.

One other note - KSHE reported that Ed had a cochlear (sp?) implant installed. Any truth to that?

A BIG by the way. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet some of you guys. It's cool talking with you all on here.
    Last edited by cokemach1; 04.27.08 at 07:59 AM.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1 View Post
    I do have some questions for you guys about the sound of the show. I was in Section 101. If you were looking at the stage, I was to the immediate right (normally Eddie's side). They were good seats, we were within about 50 feet or so). A couple of things about the sound. One, I could barely hear Dave. Especially the first couple of songs. It got better, but not much at all. Two, it was the same for Wolf. The reason I'm asking here is that things sound so much different from different seats within the venue. I had friends in section 111 (close to the horseshoe end) and section 116 (directly opposite of me) and they told me much the same. Did you guys experience this? I don't know if it had to do with the show set up or the acoustical qualities of Scott Trade Center.
    I was in Sec. 101 row cc, which was a little higher than you. Dave's vocals for the first couple songs were lower. At some point in the beginning of the third song, I distinctly heard Dave tell the sound guys to give him some more vocal, and asked the crowd, "Can you hear me okay out there?" Maybe he was talking to the sound guys. Anyway, after that, it was better.

Now, the review:

In short, I haven't been this impressed with Van Halen since I saw them on the F.U.C.K. tour, which in my opinion is when they hit their peak with Sammy. This is my first opportunity to see VH with DLR, and it was everything I hoped it would be. On a personal note, I took my two older brothers, my two kids, and my nephew to the concert. My older brother had seen Van Halen in 1984. His take was that Dave was vocally much better, but not as athletic. When he says vocally better, he means more consistent and making an attempt to sing the actual lyrics, not the high screams and such.

Everyone seemed like they were having a good time on stage, and harmonies were on point. What more can you say, last night was the return of the mighty Van Halen.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.27.08 @ 09:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

Not what I expected at all. After all the terrible youtube vides, This was a dream come true. Eddie was on, full of energy and smiling all night. Great show! Can't wait for some boots of this one to surface. It was incredible! He's actually getting better show by show. Look at the last 5 shows on youtube (since the big "break"). Eddie freakin' killed it last night!

Thank you VH!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.22.08 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

St. Louis Sound Issues @ Scottrade Center

Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1 View Post

My first time posting to this forum, as I checked the internet for some reviews of the show last night here in St. Louis. Yes, in my opinion also, there were some definite sound issues. I used to be on the radio here, and I was paying close attention to the mixing aspect of an otherwise very well rehearsed and extremely well played show.

We sat in 117, row a. Having checked many online print reviews of recent VH shows prior to last night, I was prepared for that "wall of sound" to come traveling across the floor, just as I remembered it from days gone by in the old Arena. I had heard of Dave's challanges hitting some of the same notes. Which is far from a criticism, just a fact of nature.. the rare ability to be able to execute the same pitch on notes you sang originally 25 years ago. Dave's a genius in every thing he does. But last night, the notes weren't there a measurable portion of the time, much as he visibly strained to get them.

The Mix and Sound ENG's did Diamond Dave no favors by erratically, or incorrectly changing or leaving the levels almost inaudibly low, on his array of mics. Did you notice the changes in mics that kept happening? Repeatedly. Each with a different line level and seemingly, equalization. I looked at my wife and said "what the hell are they doing?". Dave's voice did get much better, as too, the show itself, towards the latter third. Maybe it was an off night for him vocally, based upon previous reviews, but the audio processing and/or line level on Dave's mics were far from consistent. So, yes, a long winded answer, but I could hardly hear Dave about 35%-40% of the time.

The show itself, acoustically, was otherwise superior. Eddie was crafting a level of guitar play, building upon and bettering his previous perfection, that produced a pronounced 'awe' similar in scope to an F/15 flying directly over your head... the reaction, about the same: "Holy Sh%$!!! ... What the HELL was THAT?" That was just Eddie Van Halen and his guitar. Absolutely, unequivically a phenom unto himself.

Dave, the person... again he is a true genius and showman. The show itself is absolutely well rehearsed, with planned choreography, and cues hit right on the mark with hats, poles, props and other lore placed right into Dave's hand, at precisely the right moment, by a bevy of offstage assistants. The giant microphone took me right back to the Arena days. Dave is in exacting shape... WOW. A far cry from being arrested, out of shape and in a trance, in NYC for pot possession so many years ago. He, Eddie and Alex seem all three to be on quite a carb restricted diet, and cut way beyond any "rock-star wannabes" that I have seen for some time. Wolfgang is still in hormone overload to be sure, at his age, and the pounds will have their chance to go away.

Wolfgang Van Halen. Imagine waking up one day as a very young teenager, and fully realizing YOUR Dad IS "Van Halen". Hard to comprehend. Cool, neat, yes. But psychologically, mentally, how to handle that. Yes, of course, you knew as a kid that your Dad was not only famous, but extremely gifted with rare talent. The ability to grasp this grows with age. Now, the practice you've put in, the training of your father, in those short young years, they come to you and say "hey, Michael's not going to play in the band anymore, can you play instead?" WHAT!!!!!???? I can only imagine. Wolfgang is, indeed, talented like his father to be able to pick up so much, and do so well, at his age. His play last night was, like his father's, flawless, but free of much personality display, and expectedly so. Skillfully executed...and no question, his father's son.

What could have been done to improve on the show's presentation? I would lose the proclivity to alternate black & white, with the full color display on the rear stage screen monitor, unless that was a technical problem. Should be all color all the time (just add efx). 2nd, for a show that is reportedly taking in record amounts, there was a very conservative approach technically, and visually. Even back in the 80's, there was visibly much more to see on stage, set changes were the norm with major songs, even though we know the show's insurers may not want Dave to be flying across the stage as he once did during "Panama". Finally, with the huge stage loop that comes out into the audience, Dave used it a few times, Eddie did not, nor Wolfgang. Understanding Eddie's not the "showmaster" that Diamond Dave is, it sure would have really stopped the show if he could have come out onto the loop with his guitar solo.

All told, at $149.50 a ticket, I think St. Louis may have gotten a slight bit short changed last night, especially with Dave's mic/sound/vocal issues, but the overriding fact remains: Those guys can still rock the crowd.

Side notes: I think Scottrade may have eclipsed beer sales for any previous event, per ticketed patron. They're probaly still recovering down on Pestallozi street. The Scottrade ushers had their hands full for two reasons. Not because of the constant stream of patrons trying to get closer on the floor, or to get ONTO the floor, but rather dealing with the patrons who could barely navigate. It was comical. Almost as humorous as watching ushers and security trying to locate where all the burning hemp smell was coming from. They were like junior csi guys looking everywhere for, but not finding the source(s) of the massive, clever ingestions.
    Last edited by AndThereYouHaveIt; 04.27.08 at 10:24 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:46 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

So THAT's what the issue was. I kept seeing Dave look off to his left and shout something angrily, especially during the first two songs. Then it took him a full minute or so to get started on his acoustic number--he was huddled with somebody offstage.

Gotta say this--the guy's in GREAT shape for his age. And still working the ladies. He blew kisses and winked to a group of gals behind us (giving them that one eyebrow up routine) and one of them nearly hit the floor, she was swooning so badly.

Ed had a funny moment during his solo--he was near the end of Eruption and heading into the final tapping sequence. So he tried to step to the front of the stage, but his cord was stuck. Three times he had to go back and try to pry that thing loose--all while holding one note. Finally it came with a yank and he was free to do that voodoo that he do best.

He was obviously feeling better than he was in Dallas earlier this week. We saw plenty of jumps, scissor kicks, and assorted rock god poses. And he kept his shirt on all night.

Did anyone have a Val sighting? I looked, but no luck.

Last Online

10.22.13 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"All told, at $149.50 a ticket, I think St. Louis may have gotten a slight bit short changed last night, especially with Dave's mic/sound/vocal issues, but the overriding fact remains: Those guys can still rock the crowd."

Short changed? I don't think so. I'm not into the technical aspect of concerts so as long as I can hear the music and words and see the whole stage with no obstructions, I'm a happy camper, and I definitely was last night.

Something I noticed: unless Eddie smoked offstage during Dave's intro to "Ice Cream Man", there was not a cigarette to be seen on stage. If he did give up smoking, that would account for him wearing a shirt on this part of the tour: cover up the few extra pounds and possibly a nicotine patch.

Whatever he went through, I thought he looked healthier, better and happier than I have ever seen him. Ever. Period. I don't think he stopped smiling the whole time. His interaction with Dave looked so genuine so if it's an act, then he deserves an Academy award.

The flying Eddies are back, too! Someone mentioned that he was not doing them anymore, but he was last night. If I recall, it was towards the end of the show, but he did several in a row and then at the end of "Jump", he did one off the drum riser with Wolf. Ah, yea, that's the Eddie I know and love!

Wolf seemed a bit more comfortable onstage than in some of the clips I've seen. I think it was at the beginning of RWTD when he was on the platform that he raised the bass above his head to play it. Also, during Panama, he stood at the edge of the stage and flipped his bass over to show the bumper sticker on the back---the one that says "I can barely see the road". Nice touch.

I have not seen as many VH concerts as alot of you diehards, but this was the best one I have seen yet. I say "yet" because I hope there are more to come.

One last thing---I got busted for taking pictures even tho everyone was doing it. About halfway through the usher said something to me---I couldn't hear or didn't care to is more like it---and motioned to the camera so I quickly stashed it in my pocket before she took it. They tried to take the camera from a girl two rows in front of me, so I quickly removed the card just in case.

All said, it was well worth the money I paid and the wait. I just wish I could go again.
    "I'm easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way."