Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hypertension/High Blood Pressure

Hey Everyone Ė

Not that anyoneís been losing sleep wondering where Iíve been, but the past couple months have been pretty rough for me and I thought Iíd see if anyone else has had any similar experience. I quit smoking eight weeks ago, using the patch, and did alright for about a week. During the second week my heart started racing and I was getting bad headaches. So I went to my doctor the Friday before leaving on my two-week honeymoon in Cabo, which was phenomenal by the way!

When my doctor took my blood pressure it was 220/120, which, apparently, is ridiculously high. He removed the patch, thinking I might be having a reaction to it, and sent me right to the ER. After four hours in the ER my BP went down without them having to give me any medication. The next day we left for Cabo and I was fine for the entire two weeks we were there. But about a week after we got back I started feeling the symptoms again and went back to the doctor.

This time my BP wasnít quite as high, but it was high enough to start me on medication and get a bunch of tests done, see a cardiologist, etc. The good news is that Iím an otherwise healthy 37 year-old. But for the last two weeks Iíve been adjusting to the medication while we try to find the right dosages to control my BP and itís exhausting. I feel like a senior citizen. I have to take a nap every afternoon and Iíve never been a napper. It also landed me back in the ER when my pressure spiked again, unexpectedly.

Everyone tells me that once my body adjusts to the meds Iíll get my second wind and feel normal again. I also find it weird that quitting smoking would actually raise my BP, when it should be the other way around. The good news is that after everything that Iíve been through recently, there is no way I will ever smoke again. Iíve seen more than enough doctors and hospitals for one lifetime. Anyway, if anyone on here has had any experience with any of this Iíd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

ďÖand thatís when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.Ē

- Dewey Cox

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    Hey Everyone –

Not that anyone’s been losing sleep wondering where I’ve been, but the past couple months have been pretty rough for me and I thought I’d see if anyone else has had any similar experience. I quit smoking eight weeks ago, using the patch, and did alright for about a week. During the second week my heart started racing and I was getting bad headaches. So I went to my doctor the Friday before leaving on my two-week honeymoon in Cabo, which was phenomenal by the way!

When my doctor took my blood pressure it was 220/120, which, apparently, is ridiculously high. He removed the patch, thinking I might be having a reaction to it, and sent me right to the ER. After four hours in the ER my BP went down without them having to give me any medication. The next day we left for Cabo and I was fine for the entire two weeks we were there. But about a week after we got back I started feeling the symptoms again and went back to the doctor.

This time my BP wasn’t quite as high, but it was high enough to start me on medication and get a bunch of tests done, see a cardiologist, etc. The good news is that I’m an otherwise healthy 37 year-old. But for the last two weeks I’ve been adjusting to the medication while we try to find the right dosages to control my BP and it’s exhausting. I feel like a senior citizen. I have to take a nap every afternoon and I’ve never been a napper. It also landed me back in the ER when my pressure spiked again, unexpectedly.

Everyone tells me that once my body adjusts to the meds I’ll get my second wind and feel normal again. I also find it weird that quitting smoking would actually raise my BP, when it should be the other way around. The good news is that after everything that I’ve been through recently, there is no way I will ever smoke again. I’ve seen more than enough doctors and hospitals for one lifetime. Anyway, if anyone on here has had any experience with any of this I’d appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

Dude, 1st congratulations on stopping smoking and #2 that is a VERY stressful event! Plus a wedding and travel... stress is just that STRESS, it can be good or bad. And you will even out after a while on meds.

Next ? do you exercise ? If not, start, just walking for 10-20 minutes then build up. (ask your dr first)

Also, do you have a family history. Sometimes High BP/HPT is familial and has to be treated by meds. Just ALWAYS keep on top of it with your doc. Wouldn't hurt to have a home BP cuff to check once a week.

Having a stroke is the absolute LAST thing anyone would want to live through.
    I'm glad you are doing better, hang in there and keep us posted!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Otis...congratulations on your marriage and I'm so glad you had such a great time on your honeymoon in Cabo!!!

First off, I'm glad you're OK. With a blood pressure that high, things could've been a lot worse! I haven't personally dealt with blood pressure medication but have several family members and friends who have been put on bp meds the last few years. They all experienced what you have as far as feeling very tired and their bps doing crazy things. Finding the right medication and dosage was key for them. One thing the doctors all told them is that exercise can do wonders for getting your blood pressure down. I thought I'd also mention that they were all in their late '20's and early '30's when they were diagnosed and put on meds for hypertension, so don't feel like you're part of the senior citizens club b/c I know quite a few young people with high blood pressure. Good luck on finding the right solution for you and congrats on quitting smoking.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you both. I have a great Dr. and we're getting very close to finding the right dosage and combo of meds, so I'm hoping to get my energy back soon and start exercising. I could stand to lose 20 lbs or so and with exercise that could go a long way to lowering my BP. Also, I think the anxiety of qutting smoking has played a large part in the whole situation. Thanks again.

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

on a happier note...what did you love best about Cabo? Was this your first trip and where'd you stay? I miss it, if you can't tell (haven't been in 2yrs and it's killing me).
    Meet me in Cabo!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles View Post
    on a happier note...what did you love best about Cabo? Was this your first trip and where'd you stay? I miss it, if you can't tell (haven't been in 2yrs and it's killing me).
    What's not to love? This was the third time my wife and I have been there/first time since we've been married. I think you and I talked about this trip a while before we left? We rented a house in town with a private pool? I think I sent you a link to the rental company. It was unbelievable! We could walk everywhere we wanted to go.

We actually got married in December and waited until March for the honeymoon, so we could take two weeks off. The weird thing was that I felt fine the entire time we were there. I was running three miles around the marina every morning. Then I came home and got hit with the high BP! I think stress has a lot to do with it.

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Congrats on quitting the fags. I too quit a couple of months ago,....Feb. 19th too be exact. And I didn't realize that was the cause, however, I went to get an injection for a buldging disc in my neck this month, and for the first time in my life my bp was high. I've had trouble sleeping, restless leg type symtoms, increased acid reflux, trouble breathing, weight gain, etc.. I smoked for 24 years, got up to 2 1/2 packs a day, unless I drank, and then it might be 4.

I hope I never smoke another one. I guess these are withdrawl symptoms. Like you, it seems funny to me that I quit and have all kinds of health issues.It's not my first experience with this though. A buddy of mine quit smoking and drinking, and the shit hit the fan. Diabetes, blood pressure, and a few other issues I can't even recall. Fucked by the fickle finger of fate.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

My situation seems similar to yours.
    I quit smoking the day my son was born (he is now almost 8 1/2) a couple years after that I went to the doctors and my BP was around 196/126. He first put me on a dihoretic (sp) that seemed to only make me pee more. When I moved out to Cali 3 years ago my new doctor put me on "Lotrel" which helps, but not down to a good level. We are currently trying to find the right medication for it but still my best BP has been about 150/100 when it should be around 120/80.

Its a scary thing to think that a stroke could occur just about at anytime. I had an ultrasound on my heart last fall and everything looked good there. I am in fairly decent shape and not overweight, I haven't touched a salt shaker in about 6 years now so the cause is unknown. It could be something I inherited but being adopted I have no clue to my genes.

On a different note there was a study recently that said an unhappy marriage can increase your BP.
    Last edited by Eddymon; 04.24.08 at 12:12 PM.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    What's not to love? This was the third time my wife and I have been there/first time since we've been married. I think you and I talked about this trip a while before we left? We rented a house in town with a private pool? I think I sent you a link to the rental company. It was unbelievable! We could walk everywhere we wanted to go.

We actually got married in December and waited until March for the honeymoon, so we could take two weeks off. The weird thing was that I felt fine the entire time we were there. I was running three miles around the marina every morning. Then I came home and got hit with the high BP! I think stress has a lot to do with it.
    OF COURSE...now I remember that conversation and the link you sent me. So, the house was everything you hoped it'd be, huh? That's awesome!!!

Well, my advice since you were feeling so good down there??? MOVE TO CABO!
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Funny this comes up.

I was at a sr. citizens house a couple months ago for dinner and they had one of those wrist checkers laying around so I did it for kicks. I was shocked to find myself on a Sunday evening at about 175 over 105. I took it like 5 more times just to make sure and yep, I had high bp.

I since bought my own wrist checker and started researching on the net.

What I've found is, if AT ALL POSSIBLE, find a natural cure. The downward spiral inherent with side effects from High bp meds is what'll make you in to an old man fast. They rob your body of essential nutrients that just cause other problems, that require more meds, that cause other problems that require more meds etc etc and then you're in the prescription prison that has become health care in America. In my opinion, you're ON that slippery slope right now. Yours is /was pretty high. Even being anti prescription, I'd absolutely hop on the med train short term to get it under control.

In the last two months, I've got my bp down to an average of 145 or so over 85. Slightly hypertensive, but not redline. I've done it by eating lots of celery. LOTS. I also started taking Vitamin C supplements along with Potassium and Calcium and another herb called Hawthorne Root. It's not instant, but it's come down steadily over the weeks since I started and all without the help of (what I consider) deadly prescriptions drugs. If my diastolic goes over 90, I take a brisk walk or jog. Adrenaline builds up in the muscle tissue during the day in a sedimentary lifestyle like mine and just needs a quick burn. 20 minutes with an elevated heart rate does the trick. No burly workouts required here, just get the heart rate up enough to burn off the excess adrenaline and I'm good. In fact, both systolic and diastolic generally come down in to the realm of what could even be considered good bp when I do that. I just hate working out or jogging. But, if I peak, I'm out with the dog and it's manageable again.

I haven't changed my diet with this, I've just added some supplements and celery to munch on.

This can be done without the meds bro. I'm here to attest that it works, and I know your Dr. would advise you not to play around, but it really does work. Natural alternatives aren't popular with Dr.'s, but nature doesn't play either.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HBP - the silent killer.

I know what it's like man. I was diagnosed with hbp about 10 years ago and I couldn't believe it. Fortunately for me all I needed was some medication(atenolol) and it has been under control since.

Great job kicking the smokes. No matter if quitting them is the cause for your hbp, which I doubt it is, quitting smoking is the no.1 thing you can do to be healthier if you are a smoker.

Some other things that can affect bp in a negative way:

Too much salt and also not drinking enough water

Too much caffine. So watch your intake of coffee and sodas with caffine.

Stress, and along with that not enough exercise. It sounded like you were fine on your honeymoon where you were relaxing and running every day. Exercise does wonders for the body. I don't know if you have been continuing to exercise since you have been back but if you havn't you should try and get back to it. Also the more vigorous you can be when you exercise the more beneficial it will be.

Bad genes. This one you can't do anything about.

I'm sure your doc has gone over all of this with you already. Just do what he says and take your meds and you'll be back to 120/80 in no time.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Scarry stuff indeed. I need to go get checked out. Glad to see you back at the Links Otis and congrats on the stuff.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Seen you bring up a great point about the supplements and more importantly the potassium. It really isn't the fact that people take in too much sodium in their diets that causes HBP. It's more so that they aren't getting enough potassium in their diet. There is a delicate balance of sodium and potassium in the body that it must regulate. If it gets out of balance it affects BP in a negative way. So, moral of the story, eat a bannana everyday if you can or something else with potassium or take a supplement.

Also garlic is great for lowering BP.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

I was diagnosed w/ hypertension at 27.
    Been on meds since. I average 140/85.
    I could lose 20 lbs. and could quit smoking but you will have to pry the salt shaker from my cold dead hands.

Seriously, I try to do the right thing food/exercise-wise but success is always a matter of opinion.

The single easiest and most effective thing I have been able to do is drink lots of water during the day. I destroy all gains on the weekends, but hey, its better than not doing it.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Dog View Post
    Seen you bring up a great point about the supplements and more importantly the potassium. It really isn't the fact that people take in too much sodium in their diets that causes HBP. It's more so that they aren't getting enough potassium in their diet. There is a delicate balance of sodium and potassium in the body that it must regulate. If it gets out of balance it affects BP in a negative way. So, moral of the story, eat a bannana everyday if you can or something else with potassium or take a supplement.

Also garlic is great for lowering BP.
    Yeah, I should mention that my wife puts a ton of garlic in our food. Otherwise I'd take a garlic supplement also.

I've also knocked my self down to two (big) cups of coffee per day...which is a lot less than where I was before.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen