Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Cool Guitar 'Father and Son' stories....

Hi folks - Got the idea for this from the 'Gotta Get Me One of These' thread......

What cool stories you got about your folks playing guitar and the passing of the torch to you........

I've got a few...to kick it off, my dad used to hang around with Black Sabbath when they were called Earth and supported them on quite a few occasions. My dad was known as a pretty hot guitarist at the time, but he always said that when they played with Earth / Sabbath...it was just obvious that they were going to be huge as they sounded like nothing else. Anyway, Tony Iommi had to borrow one of dads amps...blew it up...and never replaced it.......!
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I posted this in that other thread

One of my earlierst memories of my dad is him chasing us around our house playing a kazoo while he jammed "Foggy Mountian Breakdown" on his banjo.

My parents(when they were married) use to go to these parties where all the husbands brought their acoustics and all the wives would come in there and they'd all be drinkin' and jammin' and singing all night. All of us kids would be hiding in the dining room with the lights out and we'd just sit there for hours listening to them cut up and sing.

I got to jam with my dad at my wedding, which was fun! He use to a real good Muhlenberg County thumb picker when he was in his 20s and 30s. Played alot of acoustic and banjo. -If you click that link i just put in, it'll take you to a little article about the picking style. At the end it mentions my great uncle--Mose Rager, who use to play with the dad of the Everly Brothers down there. I kind of adopted a bastard version of that style when I got old enough to grasp the very basic concepts of it. I'm not Chet Atkins or any of those other guys but I can play it enough that you might get tickeled at the novilty of hearing a few bars of it .

and my dad said when HE was a kid they use to hide out there in the fields and listen to the grown ups of his time play out on somone's porch all night.

you pass it on
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

My Dad and I started guitar lessons when I turned seven. We took them from an older cat named Clem. Clem played fiddle, he didn't play guitar, but he knew the chord shapes. Clem would move his foot from the left to center and to the right to initiate chord changes. Clem also wore a extremely bad toupe' which he would adjust as the lesson went on. Try to visualize all of this thru a 7 year old's eyes!

Dad used an old Kay acoustic that was won in a poker game during his service in the army. It was probably caused the spark in me for guitar repair. The action was so high I could slide my entire hand under the strings at the 17th-20th frets. I don't know how Pop played it.

I started with a cheap acoustic that my Mom bought at Grandpa Pigeons. We had to take it back and get a cheaper "humingbird" knock off, because Clem felt that Humingbird guitars were the best around. Needless to say it's action was a tad better than Pop's.

Pop lasted approx 3 months with lessons. Once he learned to play "Folsom Prison Blues, I Walk The Line, and One Piece at a Time, he felt he'd mastered the guitar.

That was almost 29 years ago. I don't think he's played much since then. Occasionally he'd pick up one of my guitars and play Folsom Prison, but he never really gave it a shot.

While Pop never took off with the guitar, he did help support my habit, spending lots of money on guitars, amps, effects, gas, etc. I have to say thanks for starting with me and thanks for supporting me.

On a side note, it was my Pop who introduced me to VH, Sabbath, and Zep. He had that stuff on reel to reel and vinyl. I never knew he was so cool. He told me later that he liked that music, but his heart lay with Johnny Cash.

On another side note, I've got all of Clem's old guitars, banjo's and fiddles. I don't know if he ever played the guitars, but someone has. It turned out one of my close friends was his grandson. The instruments had been stored in an attic for 20+ years and were in need of great repair. Since Clem's grandson didn't play, he gave the instruments to me to refurbish. Once done, he told me to keep them as they were involved with my upbringing.

Sorry for the novel!
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    My Dad and I started guitar lessons when I turned seven. We took them from an older cat named Clem. Clem played fiddle, he didn't play guitar, but he knew the chord shapes. Clem would move his foot from the left to center and to the right to initiate chord changes. Clem also wore a extremely bad toupe' which he would adjust as the lesson went on. Try to visualize all of this thru a 7 year old's eyes!

Dad used an old Kay acoustic that was won in a poker game during his service in the army. It was probably caused the spark in me for guitar repair. The action was so high I could slide my entire hand under the strings at the 17th-20th frets. I don't know how Pop played it.

I started with a cheap acoustic that my Mom bought at Grandpa Pigeons. We had to take it back and get a cheaper "humingbird" knock off, because Clem felt that Humingbird guitars were the best around. Needless to say it's action was a tad better than Pop's.

Pop lasted approx 3 months with lessons. Once he learned to play "Folsom Prison Blues, I Walk The Line, and One Piece at a Time, he felt he'd mastered the guitar.

That was almost 29 years ago. I don't think he's played much since then. Occasionally he'd pick up one of my guitars and play Folsom Prison, but he never really gave it a shot.

While Pop never took off with the guitar, he did help support my habit, spending lots of money on guitars, amps, effects, gas, etc. I have to say thanks for starting with me and thanks for supporting me.

On a side note, it was my Pop who introduced me to VH, Sabbath, and Zep. He had that stuff on reel to reel and vinyl. I never knew he was so cool. He told me later that he liked that music, but his heart lay with Johnny Cash.

On another side note, I've got all of Clem's old guitars, banjo's and fiddles. I don't know if he ever played the guitars, but someone has. It turned out one of my close friends was his grandson. The instruments had been stored in an attic for 20+ years and were in need of great repair. Since Clem's grandson didn't play, he gave the instruments to me to refurbish. Once done, he told me to keep them as they were involved with my upbringing.

Sorry for the novel!
    Now that is a cool story! Are Clem's old instruments playable after all the time in the attic?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I've restored the guitars and they are playable. They're not great guitars, but they are usable. The fiddle is a work in progress and the banjo's are up for consideration. I don't want to restore them to new quality, I just wanted to get them playable and in proper working order. I'm planning on returning them to Brad, Clem's grandson as a Christmas gift this year. While they have great sentimental value to me, I personally feel they should stay in the family.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I lost my Dad this past December to cancer.
    He was a wonderful Dad, and an incredibly gifted guitarist.

My Dad was a professional musician and a full time guitar instructor.
    He began teaching me when I was about 7 or 8 years old.
    He was a very strict Dad, but he was also very fair. Like most kids, I got into my share of trouble. And like most Dads, he would punish me which would sometimes include grounding me and taking away my “privileges”, but there was one thing he never took away … and that was my guitar.

I could easily spend all day writing stories of my Dad and I, but the loss of my Dad is just too painful for me right now. Instead, I’d just like to share a few pics and thank him for all of his love, encouragement, support, and for this wonderful gift he passed along to me.

Last edited by Dino5150; 04.23.08 at 01:59 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On a lighter note ... my grandfather was also a professional musician.
    He and his brothers played traditional Italian music first in Sicily, and then later here in the U.S. ....

(My grandfather is the one standing)

And here is one from Sicily ...

When my father passed away, this Banjo Mandolin was passed down to me.
    If you look closely, you can see one of his brother playing it in the photos above.
    Man, if this thing could talk, I'm sure it would have some pretty wild stories!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 32 Times in 4 Posts

My son (7) and I built a VH2 "bumble bee" replca for him. We did an awesome job if I do say so myself. He helped me strip it, prime, stripe and paint it and put it back together. It is now his guitar although I play it a lot even though I have more expensive guitars myself.

He can't play (still too little) but he has mastered smoke on the water on the low E strong and because the guitar has an EMG81 active pick-up, he loves giving the amp a crank and blasting out divebombs and squeals.

My point of making the guitar with him was a) bonding with him more and b) getting him interested in the instrument in a cool way. Nothing more boring for kids than being given an acoustic guitar and being taught to play Roy Orbison songs or something. Start cool and see where it takes him.
    Her T-shirt ended early and her hot pants started late

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow - The guitar is such a personal thing to pass on......

Dino - He's rockin' with some legends now mate and looking back is going to be painful....but damn, it's sounds like you've got some GREAT things to look back on and a great inspiration going forward! Make him proud, make him proud! I bet it's only now that you look back and understand all the strict stuff was to make you a better person and to stop you making the mistakes he did......that stuff made you even closer I bet.

Digadam - Top story mate......I've tried something like that with my two boys, but all I get is 'Nah - We like cars or Star Wars!'...although my daughter loves flicking all the switches on my Steve Morse guitars whilst I'm noodling!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

what about fathers and daughters?

"Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution"

Eat Us and Smile!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My 13-year old son joins us on stage in my Van Halen tribute (www.fanhalen.com) as our very own Wolfie!

The crowd seems to like it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2s07MlXkUrk

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MOJODOJO View Post
    My 13-year old son joins us on stage in my Van Halen tribute (www.fanhalen.com) as our very own Wolfie!

Mate - That's just awesome!

Shit.....looks like the Fan Halen legacy is intact!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ha, no shit. He rocks!

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Wow...some awesome stories in here. It just proves how powerful music is, and what a wonderful bonding experience it can provide.

How about a "story-to-be"?

First, some background.....
    My 10 yr old son has some fine-motor-control issues (along with other issues, like being stuck with me for a father , but that's the one germane to this), so part of his therapy has been violin classes in school. One of the problems we have is getting him to practice at home.
    This is an aside, but...actually, something that HAS insipred him to practice more is seeing Wolfgang Van Halen. When he saw the YouTube clips of him onstage with VH at the age of 17, he decided he could be a "rock star" too. Got kinda mad at me when I wouldnt let him put stripes on his school-issued violin, but what the hell... (Of course, if he keeps up practicing, I may purchase a low-end violin from Musician's Friend and get to striping for a birthday present for him).
    SO, the story! Im watching one of the many reruns of "Woodstock" on public tv (their semi-annual beg-a-thon), he's on the other end of the couch playing with some toy. Hendrix doing "Star Spangled Banner" kicks off and his ears perk up. He says "hey, that's the national anthem, we have that in our violin book...but we havent gotten to that yet".
    Now he's paying attention to Hendrix, and then looks at me for a loooong moment and says "no offense, Dad, but you can't play like THAT".
    Hey, Im a hack, at best, and I know it and accept it. But I cant let my freakin kid throw down the gauntlet like that . So I say, "At least I can play the song, but Hendrix played it HIS way...you need to learn it so you can play it YOUR way".
    So after some back and forth taunting, we made a deal. IF he learns SSB for violin, we're gonna do a little show on the 4th of July. I'll mic his violin and run it through my guitar rig for him, as we play "The Star Spangled Banner" outside, COMPLETELY CRANKED (through a 50w Peavey SS), at sunset on July 4.
    He's practicing it too...I really think he'll do it and it will be simply the coolest thing in the history of the world (my version of it, anyway)
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

very cool, mojodojo! he sounds great, and the whole band rocks!
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.