Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.21.08 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed's Tone different this time around?

From listening to the two shows (Reno and TigerJam) it's apparent to me that his tone is a bit warmer and has some "jape" on it. I don't remember any delay or sweetening when I saw him in San Jose and actually kind of hated his tone. It was so dry it didn't allow for any "give" when he played. All of you who play fiddle will know what I'm talking about. . .

I think his tone is 100 percent better and I'm kind of amazed watching these clips. This is the guy I love. Fuck, now I want them to come back through Cali. San Jose was such a disappointment.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone who was at the show?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

We were discussing this a couple weeks ago. There is a notable difference in the tone, and a pronounced difference in his playing on this leg of shows. You can read more here:
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...highlight=Tone

and also here: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/eds-...9.html?t=43429
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

I noticed it right away. The tone is more like his Balance tone for sure. I am not sure if it is during the whole show or just during the solo, but it is an improvement for sure.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I need to listen to the Reno and LV clips a few more times... I was still thinking he had that nasal, grinding tone like one would get when leaving the wah pedal part of the way down. Perhaps his tone *is* a little better during the solo however. I have third row slightly left of center stage for 5/18 Hershey and I was thinking of taking a sign "Ed- turn off the wah PLEASE!". I am hoping to get a better feel for his tone right off his stage cab, and also observe the use of his pedal board. I'm taking decibel level reducing ear plugs to clean up the sound if need be.

I used to do this in the early 80's when I had a somewhat crappy Peavey Duece 2x12" combo amp- I think this was a solid state/tube hybrid. I was playing a '68 LP w/Bill Lawrence pickups and to cut through the mix better I would leave my Morley Wah/Volume (fat chrome case, remember those?) engaged in wah mode with the pedal partially down.

Favorite VH Album

ALL SIX!!!
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 08:40 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffBeckRules View Post
    From listening to the two shows (Reno and TigerJam) it's apparent to me that his tone is a bit warmer and has some "jape" on it. I don't remember any delay or sweetening when I saw him in San Jose and actually kind of hated his tone. It was so dry it didn't allow for any "give" when he played. All of you who play fiddle will know what I'm talking about. . .

I think his tone is 100 percent better and I'm kind of amazed watching these clips. This is the guy I love. Fuck, now I want them to come back through Cali. San Jose was such a disappointment.

I thought the tone during the "Spoonful" segment was great! Very warm-not as harsh sounding as before.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It's like night and day isn't it? He seems to have gotten the fire back. He isn't going through the motions any more. It's like he's been reunited with his first love. Remember this quote? "If I had to give up all the money... If I had to go back to the Whiskey, I'd go. I love playing the guitar!"

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wasn't there speculation that hearing trouble may have been the cause of the tour being put on hold? Maybe he did have a hearing problem that's been resolved.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffBeckRules View Post

jeffBeck, i'm not a musician like you but i thought that San Jose show was the best i ever heard them sound. ever. not that i've been to a lot of shows, saw them in DC late last year on the reunion tour, (i thought it sounded pretty bad, i was about 25 rows back on the floor) saw them on the FUG tour at Blossim music center in ohio (terrible) and i saw them on the second night of live without a net in new haven CT back in 86 (my first concert ever i thought it sounded great and my ears rang for 3 days afterward it was so loud). so if they're sounded even better now than san jose, i cant wait to see them next friday night at UVA!

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

nothings different equipment wise, the guy is just playing better after his 'rest'.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

The band had to replace a number of key crew members when they postponed the tour a few weeks ago. Those guys, especially some of the main audio engineers moved on to other active tours. No work... no pay. Plus Ed and gang weren't exactly easy to work with when things fell apart.

So I'd suspect you're hearing a different mix from a different crew from the same gear.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com