Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Ed's hands

Hey guys. Just watching the Youtube Reno clips. Wow! It's great seeing Eddie playing in top form and having fun. One thing a friend mentioned to me about a rumour that he had heard was that Eddie was in treatment and time off for something to do with his fret hand or wrist. I thought about this this morning and went back to the clips like Eruption and HFT, and I noticed that he has removed his pinky for the most part from his playing with the exception of a few extended reaches during a trill here and there. That's not bad at all. Far from it. I think some of that time off has been redeveloping his technique a bit to letting the three strong fingers do the work instead of all four. Obviously whatever he did is working. I remember even in '95 Toronto he did'nt nail the notes exactly during Eruption. Now he is. It seemed to me that he was having alot of trouble with his fingers tripping up a bit over the years. Tendonitis, arthritis, or carpal tunnal (spelling?) can cause a lot of pain, and in some of the pre break clips, his hand looked very inflamed, and he was even wearing a tensor in a couple of clips, so maybe this was the case after all. I dunno. Just speculation, but it does seem to make sense. Whatever it is, I hope he keeps it up. It's just great seeing him setting the strings on fire again.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That would make sense. Considering if it was a hearing issue that was fixed, you would think he would resume the traditional guitarist position; as opposed to directly in front of the drum kit.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I realize you're trying to stay under the radar of the thread closers by trying to make this Reno-praising post a thread about Ed's hands, but I would guess they will see through it. Good luck!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    I realize you're trying to stay under the radar of the thread closers by trying to make this Reno-praising post a thread about Ed's hands, but I would guess they will see through it. Good luck!
    That's not it at all. I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles the rest of the tour. What I want is an album. I'm honestly blown away though how he came out of the gates that "on". I'm no Eddie ass kisser. He's done a lot of shit things to alot of good people. It doesn't change the fact that I love his playing. Remember alot of people were ready to write him off as to old, drug adlled, or drunk to pull it off anymore. I just hope he keeps proving us all wrong.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Well maybe this can go under another thread as I am sure there is a thread dedicated to the speculation of why the tour was put on hold. However it is a good point that the break could have to do with maybe surgery on his wrist for Carpal Tunnel or some other injury. Hell maybe he was even popping pain killers to deal with the pain and that could account for some of his stumbling around. Whatever it was lets hope it is in the past and Ed's playing continues to get better.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

again, if this was the case, carpal tunnel, tendonitis etc, why not just say so? those are very legitimate reasons to delay the tour and deal with, and there would be nothing to be secretive or shy about saying so. personally, i think he looks and seems to be acting exactly the same as he did about this time last year when came out of you know where. tan, a little heavier, calm, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    again, if this was the case, carpal tunnel, tendonitis etc, why not just say so? those are very legitimate reasons to delay the tour and deal with, and there would be nothing to be secretive or shy about saying so. personally, i think he looks and seems to be acting exactly the same as he did about this time last year when came out of you know where. tan, a little heavier, calm, etc.
    Absolutely. No doubt I think he's had a bit of behavior modification again Probably a refresher. I have no idea why he would'nt say anything if it was something wrong with his hand. Maybe a weird ego thing. Who knows. As for where this was posted, I could'nt find the thread I wanted to include this in so I just started it in the location I found other threads about his health in. Whatever you guys decide. It was just an observation based on my buddy's comment. It seemed to have some teeth.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I thought the same thing about Ed's hands when they were in Tampa back in February. From the YouTube clips it seems like they're a lot better. And as far as his "attitude adjustment" I think they might consider shortening legs of the tour so Edward can get a break and refresh. Whatever it takes to keep him happy and healthy, do it!
    Could this be magic?

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Hand/wrist issues might explain the shorter solo spot he's been taking the last two shows.....

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I'm just glad to hear him play at this point. Hope whatever was ailing him, that he's got it taken care of.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

for the miami show back in feb. i thought his hands looked somewhat swollen...
    they hate if your the same , and they hate you if your different- evh

Top Of The World Atomic Dreamer's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.10.08 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are a few Youtube vids out there and he has a bandage wrapped around his wrist and around his palm. These were before the tour was postponed a second time. So, that could have someting to do with it.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    Hand/wrist issues might explain the shorter solo spot he's been taking the last two shows.....
    Possibly, yet his picking alone has improved drastically. His fingerings do not compare to previous viewings, and the articulation and accuracy are dead-on in places he used to merely skate over or slur.

A marked improvement overall. As someone who suffers from serious hand/wrist issues, there simply is no such thing as an "instant cure". Yet whatever he's doing, I hope it continues to serve the guy well.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Possibly, yet his picking alone has improved drastically. His fingerings do not compare to previous viewings, and the articulation and accuracy are dead-on in places he used to merely skate over or slur.

A marked improvement overall. As someone who suffers from serious hand/wrist issues, there simply is no such thing as an "instant cure". Yet whatever he's doing, I hope it continues to serve the guy well.
    That's where I was going with my observation. There of course is no instant cure ,but there are far better anti-inflamatories out there than before and there are less invasive micro-surgeries that can remove calcium deposits and other joint ailments that cause pain from overuse and abuse. The most striking thing to me in the vids like I stated when I started this thread was that his fret hand technique looks considerably different from say LWAN. Much more first, middle, third finger. What made him so smooth before was the fact that he used his pinky to bridge while skipping strings with little hand movement. He is amazingly still fluid with the three finger technique. You could'nt detectect a change in technique to just listen to him or not look too closely at the closeups of his playing. Whatever the case, I'm glad to hear his playing so sharp.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

I'm not a guitar player, but as a Chef I have seen my share of wrist problems in the kitchen (repitive motions with saute pans, french knives, etc.)....often the treatment instead of surgury is to "re-train" yourself though therapy....using different muscles....don't stand at the cutting board and chop calamari for 3 hours....switch it up a little.....maybe Ed's doctors told him to shorten up that 15 min solo to keep his hands from freezing up on him