Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Looking to jump back in, need some input

After nearly 20 years after putting the guitar down for (what I thought was) good, I am really starting to get the itch again. Back in the 80s, I owned a Gibson SG, and Ibanez Destroyer and a Fender Strat, but these days I am nearly clueless on what to look at. I used to play the Strat the most as it was the most comfortable to me. This is what I've been looking at, as it fits my current budget, what do you all think about it?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-S...10-i1149758.gc
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Different guitars appeal to different folks for different reasons ...
    Since you're most comfortable with a strat, that would probably a good choice for you.

I personally don't do too well with strats due to the control layout.
    The volume is positioned in a bad place for me and I always end up turning myself down while playing.

Some may say that's a good thing.

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Different guitars appeal to different folks for different reasons ...
    Since you're most comfortable with a strat, that would probably a good choice for you.

I personally don't do too well with strats due to the control layout.
    The volume is positioned in a bad place for me and I always end up turning myself down while playing.

Some may say that's a good thing.
    I have the same issue with strats, for good quality stuff I don't think you can go too far wrong with MusicMan as far as quality goes.........But it's such a personal thing that what works for me is probably garbage to someone else.....

...then again my Wolfies were awesome and I miss them so I'm waiting for the 'new' ones to come out before I choose Peavey or EVH......

....man I need more money!

Good luck with the playing mate, hope it goes well.
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah, that was something I had forgotten about my old Strat, the controls did seem to get in the way. Think I may head out to Guitar Center this weekend to get more of a hands on feel for things. Was talking to an old friend a few minutes ago and he said he just got a Peavey HP Signature and so far likes it very much, and it sounded something like what I'm looking for, except no Floyd Rose on it.

Whatever I end up with though, I'm going to make sure I'm happy with it as I can't play 'what guitar do I want now' now that I have more responsibilities than I had 20 years ago.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the Strat is most comfortable for you, then go with it...simple as that. If you prefer a different sound, get a different body wood, or different pickups. Initially go with what you like best, then decide on what kind of sound you want....I say that because the Start is very versatile in that regard. That model should be a great guitar for the coinage you're looking to spend.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Not to state the obvious, but the one you are looking at is a Mexican Strat and has 21 frets. I don't know how picky you are about not having that 22nd fret. IMO, Mexican strats are a great deal, though, and if you want to swap out pickups/hardware later on, you don't feel like you are dismantling an art piece.

I think it's a buyer's market for guitars. Lots of stuff is plentiful and good quality for not a lot of $$$.

Hope you enjoy getting back into it.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:52 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mk5 View Post
    IMO, Mexican strats are a great deal, though, and if you want to swap out pickups/hardware later on, you don't feel like you are dismantling an art piece.
    Mexican strats are the perfect base for customizing your own personal Strat. The Strat I just built began with a Mexican body. I too don't like how close the Volume knob is to the bridge on standard strats, so I drilled my own control hole for it.

I say go for it, and if later on down the road there are some things you don't like about it, mod it!
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 04.22.08 at 11:04 AM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

if the strat suits you best then i'd buy it, personaly i love the feel of a strat but hate singlecoils pickups, so i just wired in humbuckers and if you find the volume pot too close to your picking hand just do what i did (on the advice of my dad coz he used to do it too) swap the last tone pot and volume round and re-wire it so the volume is where the last tone pot is, i just left the tone off the guitar altogether....simple, although it does take some getting used to.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 729 Times in 293 Posts

I picked up a Schecter Omen 6 last weekend at a local store. It was like $299 + tax. I went over that guitar with a fine toothed comb and could not find a single flaw. Neck pocket was air-tight. Nut and frets were perfect. Strings lined up perfectly over the fretboard and pickups, neck was straight.

I brought it home, and switched out the 10's with 9's, lowered the action to 1/16" and tuned to e flat, and intonated. Not one buzz anywhere on the neck.

I was sure I would find something wrong with it, as I am as picky as they come with guitars, but I gotta say the thing is perfect.

That said, it is kinda ugly, and the pick-ups aren't anything special, but I didn't expect them to be on a $300 guitar. I ususally only play a Mexican strat with a humbucker, so this thing is rather different from that. Neck is wider and a little flatter, and has 24 frets, 2 humbuckers. You just gotta play a bunch of different guitars... Chances are, if you have a smaller locally owned store in your town, the guitars will be already set-up to an extent. I can't play anything in GC because all the guitars are untuned, un intonated with action 1/2" off the neck... I don't have time to do a set-up in the store just to get an idea of what a guitar feels like.
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I can't play anything in GC because all the guitars are untuned, un intonated with action 1/2" off the neck... I don't have time to do a set-up in the store just to get an idea of what a guitar feels like.

That's exactly why I don't step foot in a Guitar Center...well, that and the bozos working there usually think they're guitar virtuosos.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas_kudochop View Post
    That's exactly why I don't step foot in a Guitar Center...well, that and the bozos working there usually think they're guitar virtuosos.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Going to hit a couple of places down in Daytona instead, both locally owned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I agree. Comfort wise, it's hard to beat a Strat. Comfortable standing, and sitting. It doesn't dig in to your body. Your picking arm is positioned perfectly with little fatigue or a sharp edge digging in your arm. But personally I hate the stock bridge single coils edge. Especially playing through my vintage Marshalls. I ended putting in a SD lil' 59 humbucker. I think the Strat you are looking at may be the way to go as long you like the humbucker sound, and like the other guys said you don't mind the control placement. Nice guitar.

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

02.14.14 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try the Axis... or Albert Lee from Music Man if you get a chance.. and if you have the $$.. try the EVH...

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've been playing around with my cousin's Strat for about a week now, and two things come to mind. First, I thought I was a noodler 20 years ago, it's even worse now. Some chords are slowly coming back to me, but, secondly, my fingers are clearly no longer those of a 20-something "kid." I can clearly feel my left forearm hurting after just a short time.

I did have a chance to pick up a Peavey Wolfgang a few weeks ago at a local music shop. My God that thing feels good in your hands, and the tone was just incredible. Definitely not in the cards financially anytime in the near future, but definitely something to think about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I've been playing around with my cousin's Strat for about a week now, and two things come to mind. First, I thought I was a noodler 20 years ago, it's even worse now. Some chords are slowly coming back to me, but, secondly, my fingers are clearly no longer those of a 20-something "kid." I can clearly feel my left forearm hurting after just a short time.

I did have a chance to pick up a Peavey Wolfgang a few weeks ago at a local music shop. My God that thing feels good in your hands, and the tone was just incredible. Definitely not in the cards financially anytime in the near future, but definitely something to think about.
    You think Wolfgangs are comfortable? ... pick up an EBMM EVH.
    You'll never want to put it down.