Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 51 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Gas prices and Oil prices thread (merged)

This is an email I received from a friend. Why do you guys & gals think?

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engine er buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take a moment to read this.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this idea. It makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy gas on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May! It's worth your consideration.

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasol ine prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.
    The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.49 for regular unleaded in my town, Seattle. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers.

With t he price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the tw o biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers . If those three million t excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION
    PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people withi n one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
    Keep it going
    Inspire before you expire
    GERRY

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:18 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

That thing's been floating around the net for a couple of years. Won't work for several reasons. Feel free to try it though. The Shell next to my condo has 87 octane at $3.99. Never buy there anyway though. And I rarely buy at Exxon. So I guess I'm doing my part.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

hell i saw on the news today, back in 98 it was .85 a gallon
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Well, whoever it was that stole my credit card without actually taking it from me obviously didn't get that memo as they made two purchases at an Exxon/Mobil in California!

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

$4.00 is right around the corner....

Yeah, Bob, that email is kinda old. Fortunately I don't have to buy gas that often (short commute), but during the summer we usually do a few road trip/vacations. With the gas prices being at an all-time high at that time, it's gonna take a bite into our vacation funds.

An idea like that sounds good, but will we all ever get together to actually go through with it?
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    This is an email I received from a friend. Why do you guys & gals think?
    Fucking stupid. Do people actually send this kind of shit to other people they know?

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Fucking stupid. Do people actually send this kind of shit to other people they know?
    Agreed! Isn't there a "Pointless Chain Letter" forum that this thread can be banished to?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started taking the bus last week. Instead of driving 42 miles a day, I'm driving less than 2. I won't be going to the pump much anymore. I figure I will save about $50 to $60 (or more if prices keep going up) each month just in gas alone.
    Face Down in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    On what Planet?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I sure as hell don't! It goes straight to the trash, if it makes it through my spam filters.

I love spam filters!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

I was watching Glenn Beck last night and the guy he had on said that at $118 a barrel, there was no way we won't hit $4 a gallon by summer, and that $5 a gallon isn't far behind.

I'm going to have to get a bicycle and a job closer to home at this rate.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    I remember bitching when it got over a buck. During the first gulf war I remember it getting up to 1.30 and was freaking out.

Shit like this doesnt work, but geez something needs to be done.

How about repealing the gas tax for a while? Yeah, right.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On MSN, some "experts" were saying $180 a barrel isn't far away.

I filled up today for $3.499 a gallon, spending $50.70 to fill up. Certainly hitting the budget now and thinking of going back to riding my bike to work. Only a 1.5 mile trek.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I filled up this morning... $72.01 & I wasn't even on empty - I almost cried. Thankfully , I don't have to drive very much or very far on a daily basis.

We do, however, use my truck (Toyota Land Cruiser) for vacation driving. We have a boat that we need 4WD for, we have a horse now (horse trailer), we need the space (2 kids + 1 big dog) and we snow ski several times a year (the place we stay requires 4WD to even get your rental keys).
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This is just the beginning.

I think it's putting a serious hurt on some people, too. I do mediations in small claims court once a week or so, and the number of no-shows has gone through the roof. When one party doesn't show up at court, it generally means they're gonna lose. Businesses that have gone under just don't show.

I put on an event Saturday to help immigrants get their citizenship applications done for free. Had thirty or so volunteers there. I'd talked to hundreds of immigrants in the month and a half leading up to it, and many expressed an interest. We had twenty-three people show up to be helped. I can only think that the $675 government filing fee was just too much for people, even if they were saving at least that (if not double) in attorneys' fees.

Between gas and food, lots of people are just being squeezed too hard. Pretty fucking scary.