Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.27.17 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Lack of Set List Diversity

Disagree as you may, but the band's refusal to even switch one song on the set list over an eight month period suggests to me that they hardly spend any time together off stage, they're doing it all for the money, and that there is no chance that they will work together after June 2, 2008. This being said, I'll take the same set list over and over as opposed to not seeing them at all.

Would be so nice if we could hear...Where Have all the Good Times Gone or Feel Your Love Tonight, or Bottoms Up...is it too much to ask?

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chazari View Post
    Disagree as you may, but the band's refusal to even switch one song on the set list over an eight month period suggests to me that they hardly spend any time together off stage, they're doing it all for the money, and that there is no chance that they will work together after June 2, 2008. This being said, I'll take the same set list over and over as opposed to not seeing them at all.

Would be so nice if we could hear...Where Have all the Good Times Gone or Feel Your Love Tonight, or Bottoms Up...is it too much to ask?
    There's enough posts in whatever thread along this line......but they have a set list that they feel works. Like some folks have alluded to even with the tunes they are playing during the lesser known ones the casual fan gets distracted.

We are a minority on here - the band has to play the tunes that Joe Public wants, rather than the hidden 10th track from Diver Down.......otherwise each gig would be severely lacking in atmosphere.....

If we had a new album it would be different - but we ain't so it's not!
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

It could mean that, but Van Halen has never changed up their set lists very much.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chazari View Post
    It's up to them what they play, but I agree. I LOVE those songs!!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

You really need to put this into a proper perspective here. In the 70's, 80's and deep into the 90's, there was no way of knowing a band's tour itinerary, let alone what the set list was because "up to the minute" information simply did not exist, nor was PR much of a consideration. Today, within a few hour's lag time required by youtube, one can actually witness bits and pieces of the previous evening's show with some fairly astonishing sound and video quality.

Even before the final notes of the first tune played on this tour during opening night had died out, people were on the internet typing out the song's name. The set list appeared over the course of a couple hours in real time, and was available to thousands if not millions of people in an instant. A few years ago this was unheard of, as you'd need to wait until the next day (maybe if a review even mentioning a list of tunes appeared in the local paper) or the next week, if some magazine happened to even mention the show or tour at all.

Like coyote pointed out, this band has never really changed things up before, and at this late date it's sort of unimaginable that they'd begin to do so. Should the band take the new "information age" into account? Well, they would have to acknowledge that it even exists in the first place to do such a thing. And it isn't a knock on them for not doing so. It's merely the way they choose to do things at this point.

In fact, this is one instance in which being a "casual fan" can actually be an advantage. Of course to the die-hards that obsess over every last detail of the band and have followed every bit of information available regarding the tour (as well as the private lives of the band's members), it's somewhat disappointing. Yet again, it's how they choose to work. And with the relatively unstable nature of this band, even getting a tour should be satisfaction enough from the fan base, yet in this day of instant gratification, it would appear that even that is not enough for some people.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 04.21.08 at 03:24 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    You really need to put this into a proper perspective here. In the 70's, 80's and deep into the 90's, there was no way of knowing a band's tour itinerary, let alone what the set list was because "up to the minute" information simply did not exist, nor was PR much of a consideration. Today, within a few hour's lag time required by youtube, one can actually witness bits and pieces of the previous evening's show with some fairly astonishing sound and video quality.

Even before the final notes of the first tune played on this tour during opening night had died out, people were on the internet typing out the song's name. The set list appeared over the course of a couple hours in real time, and was available to thousands if not millions of people in an instant. A few years ago this was unheard of, as you'd need to wait until the next day (maybe if a review even mentioning a list of tunes appeared in the local paper) or the next week, if some magazine happened to even mentioned the show or tour at all.

Like coyote pointed out, this band has never really changed things up before, and at this late date it's sort of unimaginable that they'd begin to do so. Should the band take the new "information age" into account? Well, they would have to acknowledge that it even exists in the first place to do such a thing. And it isn't a knock on them for not doing so. It's merely the way they choose to do things at this point.

In fact, this is one instance in which being a "casual fan" can actually be an advantage. Of course to the die-hards that obsess over every last detail of the band and have followed every bit of information available regarding the tour (as well as the private lives of the band's members), it's somewhat disappointing. Yet again, it's how they choose to work. And with the relatively unstable nature of this band, even getting a tour should be satisfaction enough from the fan base, yet in this day of instant gratification, it would appear that even that is not enough for some people.
    Exactly right Chef, exactly right.......in 84, how would any one know or care what the set was prior to actually attending.....
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Even before the final notes of the first tune played on this tour during opening night had died out, people were on the internet typing out the song's name. The set list appeared over the course of a couple hours in real time, and was available to thousands if not millions of people in an instant. A few years ago this was unheard of, as you'd need to wait until the next day (maybe if a review even mentioning a list of tunes appeared in the local paper) or the next week, if some magazine happened to even mentioned the show or tour at all.

Perfectly said Chef.

In reality, what is the percentage of people that see more than one show on a given tour? What percentage knows the set list going in?

I bet 95% of the people have no idea each set list is the same and probably wouldn't care anyway.

It would be nice for them to throw us a bone, but I wouldn't read too much into them not changing things up.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As far as the setlist goes, the majority of people going to these shows are casual fans and are only going to see these show once, unlike alot of us die hards who have seen them more than a few times on this tour. These are their biggest songs, these are the songs the casual fans know. These are the hits. As much as everyone wants to hear them do something different, i can totally understand why they're not.

As far as doing it for the money, who cares? Kiss did it for the money too, and fans got what they wanted, and the band got what they wanted ($$$) and everyone went home happy.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I think it all has to do with Wolfie's in-experience and the need to make it routine. Who knows, it could also have something to do with Dave and his schtick as well.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I think it all has to do with Wolfie's in-experience and the need to make it routine. Who knows, it could also have something to do with Dave and his schtick as well.
    That actually makes alot of sense to me!!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    It could mean that, but Van Halen has never changed up their set lists very much.

1984 tour, the only time the setlist changed was the first two shows, and that was only changing the first two songs.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

In 1991, Alex said that it was time to play the old stuff since Ed wrote it all. Same 5 Dave-era songs on that tour and almost everything from FUCK. Nothing changes.
    Last edited by fletch5150; 04.21.08 at 04:10 PM.
    Van Halen shows attended:
    08/21/91, 06/29/93
    08/02/93, 04/22/95
    07/18/95, 05/17/98
    07/25/98, 07/02/04
    11/11/04, 10/10/07
    03/09/12, 03/30/12

David Lee Roth shows attended:
    07/24/91, 05/29/02 - opening night
    09/06/03

Sammy Hagar shows:
    07/19/97, 06/04/99
    01/05/01, 09/09/01
    05/29/02 - opening night
    07/23/03, 07/04/06

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thatís why I loved the Balance Tour!!! Every night it was different Setlist.
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

I'd love to hear Drop Dead Legs, Bottoms Up, D.O.A., Hear About It Later, The Full Bug, just to name a few. However, I do try to keep things in perspective. I never thought I'd get a chance to see David Lee Roth with Van Halen, much less sounding good. When I saw them in Indianapolis last year, it was a dream come true. Ever since 2004, each time I see them, in the back of my mind I think that this may be the last time.

To quote the song Right Now, "the more things you get, the more you want...just trade in one for the other". We got a reunion and now we want more songs. Even though I've seen them on this tour, when I go to the show tomorrow in Cincinnati, it won't matter that I know the setlist. Be happy with what you have and you'll never be disappointed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

there are at least 4 songs on this tour that they could switch out every night with a couple of other ones and NOBDOY would leave the arena crying.
    Eat Us and Smile!