Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Who here has had their appendix taken out?

Yesterday,I felt like crap,went back to sleep and woke up with this really annoying pain that wouldn't go away. Thought I had a really bad stomach ache,but after getting sick twice(I think from the pain) and doing everything imaginable,it didn't feel any different,and yet I had an appetite. Talk about uncomfortable.

It sucked since I didn't know what was wrong. I'll tell you this right now,if anyone comes across these symptoms,don't wait. They told me that when I got my CT Scan,that it was my appendix for sure,and by the time I got transferred to the main hospital,they didn't know it it had ruptured yet,so they got me in,and out of surgery withing about an hour and a half. If I had waited just a few more hours,they said it could have ruptured and I would have had alot more problems. They used 3 holes to get it out,one for a camera,one for the cutting and one for something else,so I look like swiss cheese around my abdomen,lol.

Does anyone have any "post-surgery" advice for this other than what they tell ya(take short walks,plenty of rest,blah blah...)? I have 10 days off of work at least and I know i'm going to get restless,but it is half a job just to get up and down from a chair or bed.

P.S. By the way,this is my first ever surgery of any kind,so I am really babying myself even though I might not have to.
    Last edited by =VH=316; 04.20.08 at 06:37 PM.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Yeah, but I was only 7 or so... Mine ruptured, and had gangerene... Was in the hospital for a week or more... Have about a 4" scar from it...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had mine out my senior year of High School. Mine was weird because I could feel it starting to give me problems about a week before I actually had it removed. They got it out just before it ruptured so I was lucky in that regard...

The only thing I can tell you (that you haven't already mentioned) is watch your heavy lifting for a while after it gets better. The surgeon that took mine out told me to take it easy because heavy lifting, before everything has healed properly, could give ya a hernia. You definitely don't want that!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Sounds like you had a lapyroscopy, which means faster healing time b/c of smaller incisions (or so I've been told by doctors and patients alike). I've never had this done but know many who have. I've heard many people complain of shoulder pain after a lapyroscopy to remove anything. I was told by a surgeon that it's because of the gas they use to expand your stomach so they can see inside with the camera. Crazy as it sounds, I've heard many people say that shoulder pain was the worst part of their recovery.

I basically just came to give you some good news and that is that one of our best friends had his appendix removed by lapyroscopy when he was about 30yrs. old. Two weeks later, he was in Cabo with us and at day 4, he was riding a jet ski on the choppy waters of the Sea of Cortez! Take it easy and enjoy your time off.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles View Post
    Sounds like you had a lapyroscopy, which means faster healing time b/c of smaller incisions (or so I've been told by doctors and patients alike). I've never had this done but know many who have. I've heard many people complain of shoulder pain after a lapyroscopy to remove anything. I was told by a surgeon that it's because of the gas they use to expand your stomach so they can see inside with the camera. Crazy as it sounds, I've heard many people say that shoulder pain was the worst part of their recovery.

I basically just came to give you some good news and that is that one of our best friends had his appendix removed by lapyroscopy when he was about 30yrs. old. Two weeks later, he was in Cabo with us and at day 4, he was riding a jet ski on the choppy waters of the Sea of Cortez! Take it easy and enjoy your time off.

Yep,that's EXACTLY what I had,now that you said that,I remember them telling me all of that right before I went under. They told me about the gas thing,but I haven't really noticed it,other than the first time that I sat up (which they warned me about).

I do shipping and receiving and after I told them that,they made sure I am going to be out of work for at least 10 days,which is ok,since I already had next monday and tuesday off for VH in Milwaukee. I'm nervous about that,but i'm up on the top,so I can sit comfortably and not have to worry about people.

Came home at 1pm this afternoon,talk about sore.....no really pain,but just sore when really moving and getting up and down. It's 10:30pm now and I actually feel pretty good,so no complaints. But still,it's my first ever surgery,so i am kinda babying it all,lol. It's all new to me.

thanks for the encouraging story,makes things sound better for me.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Had mine taken out about 15 years ago. Two things to remember, give yourself plenty of time if you do a lot of heavy lifting (which it sounds like you do) and, if they gave you any pain meds, take them in moderation as they tend to bind one up and can make you feel worse than you did to begin with. FWIW, my job back then required a lot of heavy lifting and my doc siggested 2 weeks off (10 work days).

My son had his out in late January and was out of school for 6 days, but was more than up for VH on the 16th of Feb.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:59 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by =VH=316 View Post
    Yesterday,I felt like crap,went back to sleep and woke up with this really annoying pain that wouldn't go away. Thought I had a really bad stomach ache,but after getting sick twice(I think from the pain) and doing everything imaginable,it didn't feel any different,and yet I had an appetite. Talk about uncomfortable.

It sucked since I didn't know what was wrong. I'll tell you this right now,if anyone comes across these symptoms,don't wait. They told me that when I got my CT Scan,that it was my appendix for sure,and by the time I got transferred to the main hospital,they didn't know it it had ruptured yet,so they got me in,and out of surgery withing about an hour and a half. If I had waited just a few more hours,they said it could have ruptured and I would have had alot more problems. They used 3 holes to get it out,one for a camera,one for the cutting and one for something else,so I look like swiss cheese around my abdomen,lol.

Does anyone have any "post-surgery" advice for this other than what they tell ya(take short walks,plenty of rest,blah blah...)? I have 10 days off of work at least and I know i'm going to get restless,but it is half a job just to get up and down from a chair or bed.

P.S. By the way,this is my first ever surgery of any kind,so I am really babying myself even though I might not have to.
    I had this done the day after Christmas of '06.
    Even though you may feel good, remember that your insides are healing as well as the outside. Don't try to push doing anything the first week.
    As for the nasty bruise you will get near the incesions, don't worry it's natural. Mine was like a yellow, brown color. The surgeon saw me a week afterwards and said it was normal.

The best advice is too take it easy. You rather take your time now, then risk injuring something and end up going back into the hospital.

Good luck with the recovery.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hope you heal up fast, everyone right, just take it easy. You are better off erring on the side of caution *in other words baby yourself just like you said).

I've had lap surgery, (for something else) and it healed fast, my only "bad complaint" was that 1st trip to the potty.... not the pee trip. Sorrt TMI here but I wish I'd have known

The anesthesia slows your bowels WAY down.... drink lots of fluids and up that fiber (prunes, prune juice, benefiber) not the most appetizing I know. But stop right now and tighten up your belly, does that hurt at all? If not, you'll likely not notice, but if you hurt, well the trip to the potty might as well.

If it hurts put your hand over the incision and brace it (hold pressure against, same if you start to cough) It helps.... OK I'll stop now sorry for lovely breakfast time details....
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah,the coughing is tough......I am just dreading having to sneeze the first time. It hasn't happened yet and I know it's going to hurt if I do. Most of what I have done is what they told me,taking walks,resting,don't lift anything. My ex had her "stuff" taken out recently and she did ok after a while,but I imagine that would be worse than what I have to deal with,so i'm not really worried.

They told me afterwards that your appendix is supposed to be about the size of your small finger and mine was around the size of my index finger and inflamed. I couldn't imagine it rupturing. I'll take this pain and soreness over what COULD have happened.
    Good thing to know:

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by =VH=316 View Post
    Yeah,the coughing is tough......I am just dreading having to sneeze the first time.
    I had a hernia repaired by laproscopy, i prayed the hardest i've ever prayed that i wouldnt sneeze. That shit hurt, couldnt even sit up by myself for a couple days.
    Dealing with it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i had surgery for shrapnel wounds back in 04 ( i wont bore you all with details...again) most of the wounds were on the lower part of my body (legs and groin which lead to a circumscision) but for some reason while i was sedated they removed my appendix!!
    apparently its standard practice now in british hospitals (and millitary hosptials), if they have you open then they'll whip the lil'bugger out!!
    i was a little upset at first but now i just thinks its funny as hell, as if they didnt have anything better to do...but atleast i kept my weaner!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I was in the ER with massive abdominal pains about a month ago and their initial thought was that it might be my appendix. After doing some MRIs, they determined it was food poisoning.

Oh, and that little 4 hour trip to the ER cost $7000!!!! Thank God for insurance!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    I had a hernia repaired by laproscopy, i prayed the hardest i've ever prayed that i wouldnt sneeze. That shit hurt, couldnt even sit up by myself for a couple days.
    Man, I wish they would have done my hernia that way, they did the old slice and dice on me for that one. Man, I was out for quite a while on that one.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:54 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    I was in the ER with massive abdominal pains about a month ago and their initial thought was that it might be my appendix. After doing some MRIs, they determined it was food poisoning....

I went down that road about ten yrs ago myself. Hands down worst pain ever. Shaking like a dog crapping peach seeds, banging my head on the wall just for some relief. I hear appendix is even worse. I'll pass thanks.

VH316, glad your on the mend. Just do what the docs tell you to do & put Bullwinkle on ignore a few days till you can laugh w/o pain.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well,24 hours after coming home,I feel a lot better,especially after getting some real sleep and real food.

About an hour after my last post,I HAD to sneeze,and omg it hurt. Kinda funny though,I made myself sneeze as fast as I could and tried to keep from tensing up,it actually helped.
    Good thing to know: