Register
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Tiger Jam / Van Halen reviews!

Hoping to encourage someone to post a review (or 2)..... anxiously awaiting the news!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

04.30.13 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's a review from the other thread....
    =================================
    Originally Posted by Stifster
    Alright folks,
    Just got home from the show. No "Official Tiger Jam Reviews" thread yet and the board won't let me start a new thread yet... so here goes.
    Looooooong time lurker here. Was an original member at the Pleasure Dome ions ago under this same username. Can't tell you why I haven't been active here... maybe refraining from engaging in the rampant slap dick that seems to be the norm around here.
    Been a die hard since '78. Finally got the permission to see them live in St. Paul, MN on the '84 tour but a little spinal cord injury sidetracked my plans (long story).
    This was my second show on this tour. Took my 17 year old daughter to the Glendale, AZ show in late November. Thought that show was great... Ed played well, Dave was great, Al solid and Wolf... was good.
    Tonight was different for me. Whatever Ed did in Feb/March worked. Very focused, spot on soloing, energetic and having a great time. Loved his abridged solo.
    The show started out strong/energetic but they seem to run out of steam quickly. And I think here in lies a problem. Wolfgang looks bored out of his fucking mind. He spent more time googling over the young poontang his mother was leading around all night near stage right than injecting any energy into the performance. I think this drains his old man and the rest of the band.
    As a parent of a teenager and as an educator, I understand that kids lose interest in shit really quick. They are so over stimulated that that they have a hard time sticking with any one particular thing. I have seen this in the boots also.
    Tonight I really missed Michael Anthony. Wolf's age really shown through tonight. It was great to see Ed on his game, Dave was awesome as well as Al. I hope new music energizes the four of them.. especially the kid.
    Feel free to repost this in the Reviews thread.
    Peace.
    Stifster.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.16 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 72 Times in 27 Posts

Moved to other Vegas thread.
    Last edited by guitard; 04.20.08 at 07:25 AM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.03.08 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd been wondering how they looked and sounded after the hiatus. I saw them here in Chicago in Oct. and they were GREAT! I'd been a fan way back and sorta got away from them over the years--it's been weird and strangely satisfying to see Ed with Wolfie up there now that I'm a parent and can understand how he must feel--adds somehow to my initial reaction of adolescent glee and uncontrollable beer drinking! Seeing them again May 30. Can't wait!

I, too, am an educator (high school and early college) and I think a great point was made about Wolf's immaturity in certain ways. Seen it many times--he's got the talent, no doubt, but applying himself for The Long Haul might be a challenge--kids are easily distracted (can you blame him?). They'll get the kinks out.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Panama View Post
    Not very kind to DLR.

"While David Lee Roth can’t seem to do anything with his voice but fall flat, the man was born to be a headliner in Vegas: Top hats! Outlandishly dated outfits! Roundhouse kicks! “I can not play golf for shit,” Roth told the crowd. “But I can ruin my knee with the pros.”"

I think that's a funny Dave quote. It's cool that Ed is back in form, but it's not fair to DLR to throw him under the bus. He's been the saving grace during previous shows when Ed was rumblin', bumblin', stumblin' along....
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

This was my second show of the tour I saw them in Greensboro too. I have to agree with tbuenger. I missed Mikes harmonies and Wolfie looked pretty bored. Although he seemed a bit more well positioned around the stage than the last time I saw him. I tried to concentrate on Wolfie as to hear his playing too. I think hes more turned up in the mix than he was in September. I thought the crowd was rather dead for a Saturday night in Las Vegas. I had a really crappy seat and this show was not sold out. Ed played well I wish he was using his older gear I dont like his Charvel stuff I dont think the older Dave stuff sounds as well on it. Like to hear him whale thru some Marshalls. Alex was Alex rock steady pretty much same solo as always but its good and pumps me up. Dave is the real surprise of this tour ,he told a great story during the intro to Ice Cream Man and was right at home on Las Vegas Blvd. They do need to change the setlist and add some and drop some etc. New music would be nice maybe a new cover tune . BTW this new opening guy has a set of pipes and they covered an old Otis Redding tune as their last number and nailed it solid.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

09.23.09 @ 08:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scb2007 View Post
    ... They'll get the kinks out.
    They sure did get The Kinks out... "You Really Got Me" rocked! Haha.
    Peace.
    Stifster

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not many reviews here, which surprises me because the concert was incredible, although we just got back home last night so maybe others are in the same boat. I also see there are 2 threads going, I decided on this one since the other one seems to have gone a bit wacky.

First a quick story…...I saw f***ing sound check!!!!! Long story, but to make it short, I walked right in the main entrance of Mandalay Bay Events Center..no questions asked! One of the doors was unlocked and there was NO security, which blows me away since it was Vegas where you'd think they'd have security down to a science. I walked right past 2 people setting up the t-shirt racks and right up to a walkway door to the arena. It was side stage on Wolf's side halfway up and I heard/saw I'll Wait, ATCWR, Hot for Teacher, and the 2nd part of Alex's drum solo (the part with the electronic sounds), and then they started bringing Ryan Shaw's gear on stage so I quickly left. There was no one in the arena except me and a few workers. They sounded great. A roadie (or somebody?) did the vocals in the chorus for HFT as DLR was not present, and Wolfie nailed the backing vocals. I only took a few short videos because I didn't want to be seen. I don't know how to post attachments, but I'll try to post a screen shot or something once I upload everything to pc so you'll believe me Needless to say, I was freaked out!

Here's a short review of the show. Tiger did a nice, brief intro and 2 minutes later VH erupted into their set (standard set list). Third show of the tour for me, and they've all blown me away. There were a lot of Tiger Jammers in the crowd, many of whom weren't VH fans, so the energy level was a couple notches lower than normal…lots of people sitting through the entire show WTF? But hey, they contributed to the Tiger cause so I didn't care and I stood the whole time. Ed was f'ing awesome, which was so good to see, and DLR was on fire. Wolf nailed the vocals. One new thing for me this show was "bop ba de shoo be doo wah" in I'm The One, and they nailed that too! At one point Dave said "You guys picked the right night to come to a concert. This is the best show of the entire f***ing tour!!!" I will say, similar to one post I read, about halfway through the show, the energy level dropped a bit, and to me the mix went off a bit too later in the set, but those are just comments, not complaints, because it was an all-around fantastic night!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

04.30.13 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by shaker View Post
    Not many reviews here, which surprises me because the concert was incredible, although we just got back home last night so maybe others are in the same boat. I also see there are 2 threads going, I decided on this one since the other one seems to have gone a bit wacky.

First a quick story…...I saw f***ing sound check!!!!! Long story, but to make it short, I walked right in the main entrance of Mandalay Bay Events Center..no questions asked! One of the doors was unlocked and there was NO security, which blows me away since it was Vegas where you'd think they'd have security down to a science. I walked right past 2 people setting up the t-shirt racks and right up to a walkway door to the arena. It was side stage on Wolf's side halfway up and I heard/saw I'll Wait, ATCWR, Hot for Teacher, and the 2nd part of Alex's drum solo (the part with the electronic sounds), and then they started bringing Ryan Shaw's gear on stage so I quickly left. There was no one in the arena except me and a few workers. They sounded great. A roadie (or somebody?) did the vocals in the chorus for HFT as DLR was not present, and Wolfie nailed the backing vocals. I only took a few short videos because I didn't want to be seen. I don't know how to post attachments, but I'll try to post a screen shot or something once I upload everything to pc so you'll believe me Needless to say, I was freaked out!

Here's a short review of the show. Tiger did a nice, brief intro and 2 minutes later VH erupted into their set (standard set list). Third show of the tour for me, and they've all blown me away. There were a lot of Tiger Jammers in the crowd, many of whom weren't VH fans, so the energy level was a couple notches lower than normal…lots of people sitting through the entire show WTF? But hey, they contributed to the Tiger cause so I didn't care and I stood the whole time. Ed was f'ing awesome, which was so good to see, and DLR was on fire. Wolf nailed the vocals. One new thing for me this show was "bop ba de shoo be doo wah" in I'm The One, and they nailed that too! At one point Dave said "You guys picked the right night to come to a concert. This is the best show of the entire f***ing tour!!!" I will say, similar to one post I read, about halfway through the show, the energy level dropped a bit, and to me the mix went off a bit too later in the set, but those are just comments, not complaints, because it was an all-around fantastic night!
    Awesome story you lucky dog! Would love to see the pics.

Thanks for the review.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't seem to be able to post attachments. Is that because I'm a newbie? I was hoping to show a couple of shots from Tiger Jam sound check.