Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Default Why are we so fascinated with shooting things?

I've made no secret that I'm not a big fan of guns, although I have no problem of them in the hands of people who hunt to eat or people who feel they need the protection and treat their gun(s) with respect. It just disturbs me that we seem to be hung up on shooting things, whether it's machine guns, cap guns, squirt guns, paint guns, rubber bands, "paper pistols", or just pointing our finger and "pulling the trigger" - almost from the moment we step out of the womb. Just walk through the toy aisles of your nearby Big K or WalMart and look at the arsenal available or browse the video game aisle and see what the prominent sellers are. I'll admit I played cowboys and indians or cops and robbers back in my childhood as well; I had cap guns (though I rarely used caps as I hate loud noises), I had a belt buckle with a little pistol that popped out of it (really) - but why? What drove me and still seems to drive 99.9% of the children (at least the male ones) to want to shoot something, whether real or imagined by our brains or simulated by computer programmers the world over? I frown on my children playing with guns, but every chance they get they run after them (mostly when I'm not looking, but sometimes even when I am). Just this morning found out my 11 year old had snuck the spare laptop into his room and was playing "shooting games" online at 3A in the morning (and on several other mornings as well). To be honest, he's the one that scares me the most, because even at a young age (4 or 5) he would pretend to shoot people and his "stance" would look just too realistic - not the wild "finger waving bang-bang" of most kids, but like he meant business. Last thing I want to unleash on this world is another Harris or Klebold, but I don't know what drives that desire to begin with as we all seem to possess it, but why?

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

"It's in your nature to kill each other" - Terminator

Yyep.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 1,609 Times in 991 Posts

Donor

Culturalization. That's all it is.

Though being coupled with the genetic predisposition for aggression, a trait evolved because of its success in propagating the strongest of the species, makes the issue more dangerous.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have no idea. I used to play cops and robbers/cowboys and indians when I was a kid, but you didn't hear of any Columbine type shootings back then.

Sometimes I truly believe it is the lack of parenting that goes on in many households these days. One could point to violent video games/tv shows causing the desensitizing of today's youth, but there again, where are the parents? Any video game that is brought into our home must be approved by me. All of my DirecTV receivers that the boys have access to have limited access as to what ratings can be watched. If they want to watch a show, they have to ask my wife or myself.

Anyway, back to the guns. I own one, a Mossberg 12 ga shotgun. We are in a very rural area and had problems with looters in the area after the 2004 hurricanes, the shotgun was purchased in between hurricanes 2 and 3. It has also scared a few would be burglers from around here with a couple of shots of 'blanks' at the ground. All my boys know to steer clear of it, and it wears two gunlocks on it during daylight hours.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

This may have a little something to do with it:

"Go ahead, make my day"

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you got to ask yourself one question... Do I feel lucky. Well, do ya punk?"

(Inspector) "Dirty Harry" Callahan

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I hear ya Bill.

It's a trip. I have a 2 year old boy who we REALLY shelter from violence on TV (even our 10 yr old girl). I can honestly say that I don't think he's ever been put in a situation to watch violence in his life, but check this out. I got a gag gift from somebody last year of this little spud gun

because they thought maybe I should scale back after burning my facial hair off from one of these "real" potato guns

But I digress..

My boy found that little potato shooter. I recognize a total change in his personality and aggression when he just HOLDS it (even though he holds it backwards and really doesn't shoot with it but kind of hits with it, lol). It must be very empowering. He struts. Turns in to a bad ass thinkin' he's all the man. Not having even viewed violence on TV/movies or video games, I can only guess that he's picked it up at church in the nursery. No idea. Point is, males absolutely do have a predisposition to incredible aggression.... naturally. I'll be inclined as a father to direct that natural aggression in to positive areas like finding out what it is that God wants him to do with his life and aggressively pursuing it. I'm inclined to be fairly aggressive myself so can relate with him on that and hopefully allow him a head start on channeling it appropriately instead of paving the way for the same mistakes I've made. All I can do is my best there. But there is no denying that it's there.

It's our aggression that makes us like to shoot things. It's an efficient way or outlet to both display and act out our aggressive nature.

I haven't been shooting in 3-4 years myself. All this talk on shootings getting me a little hopped up. Might need to clean the guns and make a run up to the woods..
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

If a potato gun shoots potatos, does that mean an elephant gun shoots...

Aggression, huh? Interesting thought, as the middle child is really in most situations a passive person (which works as a detriment because he doesn't know how to say "no" when someone suggests he do something stupid). So maybe it is his pent up aggression working itself out that way. Finding a way to channel that that's going to be acceptable to both of us is going to be a challenge!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shooting stuff is fun.

The biggest reason that I don't own a gun is because I'd spend all my money at the range and/or buying more guns.

You can argue that the west's downfall is the failure to embrace our warrior nature and spirit. The Saxons, Vikings, Romans, Greeks, Japanese, Chinese and most of Native America were all warriors at heart and we are their decendants. The difference was that youth were initiated by their elders into manhood which is why these cultures were also tradesmen, farmers, craftsmen, explorers and religious because fighting had it's place but it wasn't central to the culture.

America was made by men with guns, it's who we are. You don't have to like it, this doesn't mean that America's future will be made by men with guns but you should at least acknowledge that the majority of Americans with guns are good people.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

It's a phase. I went through it from about ages six to twelve, no bull. As I look back, I was into it much longer than I could seem to remember.

Did I ever want to actually kill something? Absolutely not. However, your sense of having domination over something tends to make you feel stronger than a vulnerable little kid, which is pretty much what you are at that age. Which is what makes it so fun to play around with.

Hell, to this day, I find myself playing Goldeneye on my seemingly-ancient Nintendo 64. Usually I do it either out of boredom, stress-relief, or for kicks (as there really is no better first person shooter out there). However, it doesn't make me want to go out and just randomly kick some ass.

I'm no psychologist, nor am I an expert with kids. Though from experience, I will say I had the same fascination with this issue only a few years ago. Eventually, I lost interest. However, there's probably two totally different personalities at play here, so in the end, what do I REALLY know?

The answer is, not much. But that's my two cents on the whole thing regardless.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I've made no secret that I'm not a big fan of guns, although I have no problem of them in the hands of people who hunt to eat or people who feel they need the protection and treat their gun(s) with respect. It just disturbs me that we seem to be hung up on shooting things, whether it's machine guns, cap guns, squirt guns, paint guns, rubber bands, "paper pistols", or just pointing our finger and "pulling the trigger" - almost from the moment we step out of the womb. Just walk through the toy aisles of your nearby Big K or WalMart and look at the arsenal available or browse the video game aisle and see what the prominent sellers are. I'll admit I played cowboys and indians or cops and robbers back in my childhood as well; I had cap guns (though I rarely used caps as I hate loud noises), I had a belt buckle with a little pistol that popped out of it (really) - but why? What drove me and still seems to drive 99.9% of the children (at least the male ones) to want to shoot something, whether real or imagined by our brains or simulated by computer programmers the world over? I frown on my children playing with guns, but every chance they get they run after them (mostly when I'm not looking, but sometimes even when I am). Just this morning found out my 11 year old had snuck the spare laptop into his room and was playing "shooting games" online at 3A in the morning (and on several other mornings as well). To be honest, he's the one that scares me the most, because even at a young age (4 or 5) he would pretend to shoot people and his "stance" would look just too realistic - not the wild "finger waving bang-bang" of most kids, but like he meant business. Last thing I want to unleash on this world is another Harris or Klebold, but I don't know what drives that desire to begin with as we all seem to possess it, but why?
    Step?
    Ouch!

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

I believe (speaking for myself) mostly it is a learned response. Growing up as a kid watching all those old cowboy and indian flicks, WWII, Korean, Vietnam...John Wayne, Clint Eastwood etc..

I also grew up in a home where firearms were commonplace. Received my first .410 shotgun at the age of twelve (still have it) and commenced the the "hunter gatherer" mentality of most of my friends. Until one day while hunting, I found a baby squirrel that had appparently fell from its nest. Brought it home and fed it warm milk with a little eye dropper until it was old enough to eat. Turned out to be the coolest pet I ever had. To this day I havn't killed a single animal for sport. Definitely a carnivore here so guess you could say I'm a hypocrite (hippie with a pistol ). I still have a fascination with firearms and own more than I probably should (especially if you asked my wife), but now it has to do more with the internal mechanisms, historical value etc..

If your overly concerned about your kids fascination, take them out to the range one day and show the what a real gun is capable of. Both of my kids are scared to death of them, which is not the response I was hoping for. I would rather they have a understanding and respect for its capabilities as I did. Then again it could backfire on you (pun intended) and increase their fascination.
    Last edited by weesfreewheelin; 04.19.08 at 06:35 AM.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:00 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I think it's more to do w/ how males are wired, combined w/ the testosterone & stuff. My boys 3 & 5 have NEVER been exposed to violence of any kind. Yet you put a water pistol in their hands & it immediately comes out, wanting to shoot the bad guy & be the hero.

Besids that, it's just fun. Don't believe me? Take a pellet gun & an old can of spray paint w/ a mixer marble in it. Stand off about 50 ft & pop that sucker off. It's a 3-fold thrill, you shoot something, it sprays paint all over (did I mention to not do it near anything you don't want painted) AND you get a marble out of the deal. What's not to like? Unless you're the neighbor's dog that ALMOST dropped a turd in my backyard this afternoon. He's not fan of shooting. I'm guessing 'cause he was on the business end. It was just a pellet gun, he was not harmed, & neither was my yard.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

Liked 6,839 Times in 3,579 Posts

Premium Member

Default culture

Last Online

Liked 6,839 Times in 3,579 Posts

Premium Member