Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default How the "Balance" tracklisting should've been.

First off, this is not a thread about the "dark" times they were going through during the recording of this magnificent album.
    This is about the album, and how its presented, and how its heard.
    This is my 2nd fave VH album just behind "5150" and I've referred it as the "bonus" VH album we got with Sammy, cause in my book, the safety net had gone when Ed Leffler died, and VH was derailed soon after, so we were "lucky" to get this and boy, did they do a great job on it.

The big plus on this album is its big production.
    The big fault on this is not so much the instrumental "Strung out", but its the track listing.

Seriously, "The Seventh Seal" comes thumping through the stereo, their heaviest song in years at that time, and the next song "Cant stop lovin you" is like a Bryan Adams wanna-be tune. I just cant get why this was done. Why not put "Dont tell me" as the 2nd song. ......As for "Amsterdam", I put this as my least favorite, and "Big fat money" is getting to be one of my faves all of a sudden. That solo in that is just brilliant.

So heres my setlist for "Balance" and how it should've been.

1. The Seventh Seal
    2. Dont tell me (What love can do)
    3. Big fat money
    4. Cant Stop lovin' you
    5. Amsterdam
    6. Aftershock
    7. Take me back (Deja Vu)
    8. Not enough
    9. Doin' time
    10. Baluchitheriem
    11. Feelin'
    12. Crossing over
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

I wish Humans Being was on this album.

It deserves to be on an ACTUAL album and not just a soundtrack record or in a greatest hits package.

BUT....Balance came out before Twister so I guess that wouldn't be possible.

But to discuss the album......

You made all the best points.....Production....tone....everything was there in this record. A lot of that was Bruce Fairbairn in my opinion. All of Aerosmith's records that he produced sound very good.

Ed was SMOKING on this album. From Don't Tell Me to Not Enough (the solo....listen to it again...one of Ed's best ever).....to Feelin' (the solo.....probably Ed's best solo in a song with lyrics)...

Album starts off with The Seventh Seal.......full of messages.....it's a DEEP song.......and DAMN does the guitar fit the overall theme of the song......one word can describe songs like The Seventh Seal.........that word is.......PERFECT.

Can't Stop Loving You....a classic VH ballad.....here's my easy test to see if a rock ballad is good or not (and VH obviously was great at writing them)...if you feel comfortable keeping your window in your car open while blasting this song......that's how you tell if it's a good rock ballad.......and IT IS.

Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)....Sams shining moment on the album.....VH's classic darkness transition to light comes through GREAT on this track.

Strung Out......some people say useless....but in terms of it's placement on the record...it makes sense to me.........it's like your having a bad dream......really bad dream....and then it fades out......

Not Enough....and now your in a better place.....your having a better dream....one of VH's greatest songs....perfect mix of piano/soft elements and the rock/guitar elements.....Solo kicks my ass every time I hear it.

Aftershock....a straight up rocker.....no doubt about it......what Ed meant behind the meaning BALLS TO THE WALL....

Doin Time....like the flare to it.....that's about all I like about it....

Balutchitherium....absolutely love this track...the main drop d riff that is played twice is jaw dropping!

Big Fat Money....love the beat to this tune....it really is a song you can pump your fist and jump around to.....

Take Me Back (Deja Vu)...just a beautiful song.....perfectly pieced together....fitting lyrics with the music....something VH is the BEST at doing....and imagine....the opening riff was written in VH's club days......

Feelin.....a true masterpiece.....everything is perfect......needless to say...the solo is AWE-INSPIRING!

Added track:

Humans Being.....more evidence of PERFECTION and a MASTERPIECE.....everything in this song fits.....and is PERFECT!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright I know I didn't follow the original Balance track listing.....I changed it up a bit....but that was because I couldn't remember the track-listing......so for those of you who are taking part in the re-arrangement exercise....you can use my overview of the songs as a barometer to judge each song's placement on the album
    Last edited by MF5150; 04.16.08 at 05:48 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Not Enough....and now your in a better place.....your having a better dream....one of VH's greatest songs....perfect mix of piano/soft elements and the rock/guitar elements.....Solo kicks my ass every time I hear it.
    +1
    Amazing amout of feel in that solo. It is kind if a pussy song but is does knock you off your feet.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree I think the tracklist on Balance lacks momentum. I would've put 4 or 5 of the heaviest tracks first and then blend in some of the lighter and instrumental songs.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    So heres my setlist for "Balance" and how it should've been.

1. The Seventh Seal
    2. Dont tell me (What love can do)
    3. Big fat money
    4. Cant Stop lovin' you
    5. Amsterdam
    6. Aftershock
    7. Take me back (Deja Vu)
    8. Not enough
    9. Doin' time
    10. Baluchitheriem
    11. Feelin'
    12. Crossing over
    You make good points about the flow of the disc but your only glaring mistake is putting Big Fat Money at #3. Too much of a pain in the ass to always reach over to skip over it. My suggestion would be to put it on VH3 where it'll never be heard again.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Top Of The World Atomic Dreamer's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.10.08 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Seventh Seal is a great way to kick off that album but having Feelin' as the last song, I didn't really care for. I would have ended it with Big Fat Money or Aftershock which is an awesome track. Crossing Over should of been on there and should of been half way through the CD. I want a CD to start off with a bang and end with a bang.
    Last edited by Atomic Dreamer; 04.16.08 at 03:00 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I really liked the CD ending on "Feelin'". It was a darker album with a return to simpler production like earlier VH records, and it ended on an introspective, strong musical note. We got "Top Of The World" the album before, but Balance was different.

I agree "Can't Stop Lovin' You" was oddly placed second. I think it's a great pop VH song (and the lyrics are more forgivable if you've read Sammy's unpublished book where he explains they were written as though coming from his ex-wife's perspective), and it's got an AWESOME bridge and solo section. But "The Seventh Seal" I would say is one of my favorite VH songs ever, and it's kind of a buzz-kill to launch into the ballad right after.

My gripes: One, with producer's ears on I hear more spots for signature VH backing vocals. Two, the mixes are inconsistent from one to the next (buried vocals on "Aftershock" and way up-front vocals on most other songs); they sound good, though. Three, all of the instrumental tracks should not have been on the album. They should have done one or two more with vocals and made that it ("Crossing Over"!!).

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

1. The Seventh Son Of Satan
    2. Tell Me(What Your Love Can Do Honey Sweetie Mama)
    3. Big Fat Tammy Snackbar
    4. Ain't No Stoppin'
    5. High Noon Amsterdam
    6. Afternoon Delight
    7. Bring Me Mah Runnin' Shoes
    8. Can't Get Enough
    9. Doin' Valerie
    10. Bazooka Blues
    11. Feelin' Funny In Mah Mind
    12. Crossroader
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons View Post
    1. The Seventh Son Of Satan
    2. Tell Me(What Your Love Can Do Honey Sweetie Mama)
    3. Big Fat Tammy Snackbar
    4. Ain't No Stoppin'
    5. High Noon Amsterdam
    6. Afternoon Delight
    7. Bring Me Mah Runnin' Shoes
    8. Can't Get Enough
    9. Doin' Valerie
    10. Bazooka Blues
    11. Feelin' Funny In Mah Mind
    12. Crossroader
    Loons, I like Balance, but that is funny.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:20 AM
    Liked 18,104 Times in 8,945 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Sane View Post
    Loons, I like Balance, but that is funny.
    I like Balance too, but that made me chuckle.

Balance to me is always the "only if" album.

It would have been maybe their best album "only if":

they had put on Crossing Over and dumped CSLY (Journey called, they want their song back!)

dropped Strung Out, or as previously called "Monkeys Having Sex in a Piano"

Added vocals to Baluchiterium.

Changed the God-awful lyrics to Big Fat Money and Amsterdam.

There you go, re-work the track order and BAM! Classic album.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!