Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ebay Cancelled My Listing Because of a Scammer

I do not understand this at all. I ran an auction for 10 full days, and it closed at over $1,000.00. It had about 20 bidders. I sent the high bidder an invoice for payment, and within 30 minutes Ebay emailed me and said that they had cancelled my listing "due to bidding activity that took place without the account owner's authorization". Apparently the high bidder's account had been hijacked.

11 minutes after my auction ended, I received a "You've received a question about your Ebay item" email that looked like it was from Ebay. The question stated: "I sent you the payment for this item. You can see the status of the payment by pressing the "Respond Now" button." After I clicked the "Respond Now" button I noticed that the URL was not Ebay's, so I did not enter my Ebay username and password. It was obviously a phishing scam email.

If Ebay would not have cancelled my entire listing, I could have sent out second chance offers. Instead I completely lost out on the entire 10 days of waiting for the auction to run. I ran the auction for 10 FULL DAYS and now I AM BEING PUNISHED due to some scammer. What is wrong with this picture??? How do I know the same thing won't happen again if I relist the item for another 10 days?

This is the biggest joke I have ever heard of. I cannot believe that Ebay is still this vulnerable to scammers. Surely they have ways to prevent this kind of nonsense by now??? Why should I have to be punished like this? My other bidders probably think my listing was removed due to something I did wrong, and they may be scared to bid when I relist it. I have never had this happen before.

I guess this must be the newest way to scam Ebay sellers. When a seller is expecting a payment, they may overlook the fact that they are not on an Ebay web page. However, this is something that Ebay should have dealt with long ago. They simply need to hire some programmers who are smarter than the scammers. All it would take is a team of intelligent people to spend 30 minutes in a meeting to figure out ways to deal with scams like this.

I am an Ebay Power Seller with 100% good feedback. However, this is the first auction I have ran since Ebay took on new management. I can't help but wonder if Ebay is headed for bankruptcy. This is no way to treat good customers.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I'm completely sympathetic to your frustration in this: you lost ten solid day's investment of time, you lost a sale and had your account tarnished by the actions of a moron who was up to no good.

Yet on the other hand, you were not successfully phished, your identity was not hi-jacked and exploited, you did not lose your property and ultimately there was no true damage other than some humiliation along with some doubt being cast regarding future intent with E-bay.

Putting that on a scale of win/loss ratio, you more or less broke even. Sadly with the current state of affairs regarding transactions in cyber-space, this must be counted as a victory, my friend.

Contact Ebay again, spelling out things in the detail that you have provided here. Of course they will offer nothing in the way of compensation, yet your concerns will be on record with them, along with some form of response on their part. Should this type of situation arise in the future, you will be able to reference this correspondence.

I know, it ain't much, yet take some consolation in the regard that you lost nothing more than the investment of your time.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You would think that Ebay would have enough money to hire programmers who are intelligent enough to outwit the scammers like Google does. But, they probably have a top-down management style that doesn't allow good ideas to make their way to the top. They need to have a reward system for employees who come up with solutions to problems like Google does. If they did, scams like this would have been dealt with long ago.

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It's funny that you should mention this today as I got an email just a few minutes ago from ebay supposedly, saying that my account has been blocked. Thing is, I don't have an ebay account; I do have a Paypal account which I believe is owned by ebay, but I'm sure if it was really in regards to my Paypal account it would have come through as a Paypal email. Also the linked url of where they want you to go to verify your info is actually different than the one it would actually take you to. So beware, it appears that there are several ebay phishing scams going on at the moment. I am always careful when I receive official looking emails like this and always take a different route to verify whether or not there is a problem with my account. Here is the message I received:
    ------------------------------------
    Dear eBay customer:

We've recently noticed that someone has made [5] suspicious attemps to login
    into your online account from this address 72.122.18.131, our security commitment
    forces us to block your account temporarily until you verify your identity on our systems
    Verify your identity at this form: -------------------------

As you can see, there are tell tale signs that this email did not actually originate from ebay, specifically the lack of correct spelling and grammar usage. Anyone else come across one of these lately?

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts

Donor

I got a similar message. Ebay scams abound right now. Be careful.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It must be in the air, I got a "you have a payment" email from Ebay? I have however had my Paypal account charged fraudulently ... it was a year or so back and Paypal took care of it after I signed some papers and faxed them back. I could not, however, use my acct until it was cleared up.

It's the cyber price we pay I suppose?
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Another flaw with Ebay that pisses me off is the whole feedback thing. It's pretty much a given that if you leave legitimate negative feedback on a seller that they will retaliate by leaving you undeserved negative feedback.

I have 100% rating on 115 feedbacks and want to keep it this way. However, just this week I purchased a hockey jersey that was described as "item in excellent condition.....no rips, tears, or blemishes of any kind." However, the jersey showed up with two huge tears around the collar that needed to be sewn. Also, on the back of the jersey was a white blotch of some kind that was the size of a baseball.

In all my years on ebay I've never seen such a blatant lie about something I've bought. I really couldn't believe it. I ended up not leaving any feedback and let the matter drop because I didn't want this asshole to ruin my feedback with some foolish response.

How can you leave negative feedback for a seller but still get the positive feedback you deserve as the buyer?
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

How can you leave negative feedback for a seller but still get the positive feedback you deserve as the buyer?
    Bite the bullet on your need for vindication, basically.

Been there in the same boat. It's best just to eat the purchase than spoil your feedback rating. Ideally your seller will have a return policy, but if not...caveat emptor and all that.

Better to just not leave him feedback at all, he'll probably reciprocate in kind, no mutual feedback is preferable than two negative feedbacks.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Bite the bullet on your need for vindication, basically.

Been there in the same boat. It's best just to eat the purchase than spoil your feedback rating. Ideally your seller will have a return policy, but if not...caveat emptor and all that.

Better to just not leave him feedback at all, he'll probably reciprocate in kind, no mutual feedback is preferable than two negative feedbacks.

I agree and that's how I handled it. But unfortunately I would like to let others know that this seller blatantly lied and sold a flawed item. I should be able to do that without it costing me in the form of negative feedback that I obviously don't deserve.

It's a definite flaw in the system. Certainly makes you wonder how many people I'm buying from who maybe should have a lower feedback rating but doesn't because others were cornered into leaving no feeback as opposed to negative feedback.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I agree and that's how I handled it. But unfortunately I would like to let others know that this seller blatantly lied and sold a flawed item. I should be able to do that without it costing me in the form of negative feedback that I obviously don't deserve.

It's a definite flaw in the system. Certainly makes you wonder how many people I'm buying from who maybe should have a lower feedback rating but doesn't because others were cornered into leaving no feeback as opposed to negative feedback.
    In fact, didn't I see an eBay memo from eBay management concerning feedback, that they are considering eliminating negative feedback entirely for buyers?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I hadn't seen that. But definitely if you buy with Pay It Now and pay right away there should be no delay in you getting positive feedback from the seller. I hate when the seller waits to see the feedback I leave before they leave it for me. Happens most of the time even though I always pay immediately after I win the auction.

The flip side of course is that there are asshole buyers out there too, so how do you handle a prick who leaves a seller unwarranted negative feedback? If a buyer knows they can't receive negative feedback then they could really do a number on a sellers feedback. Who knows....I don't know what the solution is.

Last Online

Donor

Yeah, they're debating doing away with giving feedback to buyers.

As far as the solution, well...it's a different transaction, doing cyber biz, that's for sure.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.01.09 @ 08:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This just happened to me....AGAIN! I had a bid on my guitar and it was just removed!