Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

Default Quick and Easy Trem Stop!

I just obtained an old Kramer Focus 2000(1983 or 1984) in outstanding condition. Only problem was the floating trem. Not a big deal, I've blocked trems many times in the past. This time though, I was not finding wood the thickness that I needed, so I was on a quest to find something around the house to use to block the trem. This is what I came up with:

I know the pic is a bit blurry, but what you are looking at is a bridge saddle off an old Kramer standard bridge. I removed the adjustment allen head screws, and used a pickguard screw to secure it to the cavity in the slot that the string would go through. This allowed me to adjust the angle of the trem by sliding the bridge saddle to where it needed to be. Once it was in the proper position, I tightened it down, and placed another pickguard screw at the end of the bridge saddle so that it would not slide if the one screw started working loose.

I liked the way it worked so much, that I blocked my FR Fender the same way. Extremely simple and effective.

BTW, here's a pic of the guitar.

"Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Sweet idea! Pays to hang on to old parts doesn't it?

Last Online

Yeah. Hell of alot cheaper to go to the parts bin of the local guitar shop and get a crappy bridge saddle than it is to get the manufactured trem stop or trem-setter. I never throw anything out from parts of guitars I've worked on. I always seem to find a use for them eventually.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Yeah. Hell of alot cheaper to go to the parts bin of the local guitar shop and get a crappy bridge saddle than it is to get the manufactured trem stop or trem-setter. I never throw anything out from parts of guitars I've worked on. I always seem to find a use for them eventually.
    Using a saddle's an awesome idea! ... Very creative!
    If you don't have one in your parts bin, you can always go to the hardware store and buy an "L" bracket, a set screw, and a couple mounting screws. Total cost is probably under a dollar.

Thread the set screw like so ...

Then trim off the top of the "L" bracket ...

The set screw serves to make your adjustments.

Last edited by Dino5150; 04.12.08 at 09:18 PM.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.26.12 @ 06:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

brilliant!

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

as always dino excellent. i always wondered. doing it that way do you here a clang when you let go of the bar?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    as always dino excellent. i always wondered. doing it that way do you here a clang when you let go of the bar?
    Yes, if the guitar is not plugged in. You don't hear it through the amp or anything, but it does make a sound. After I used my now patented bridge saddle method , I decided that if it bothered me much, I would cut a strip of thin foam rubber and glue it to the end of the bridge saddle. So far though, not really a big deal.

I've seen Dino's method before, and that was actually the first thing that came to mind when the wood wasn't working out, but i really didn't want to go run out to the hardware store. I thought, "Surely I have something around the house that will work".

Some say neccessity is the mother of invention, I disagree. I say laziness is the mother of invention. The most brilliant ideas are born of laziness. The T.V. remote control for example. Anyway, my solution is just another example of creativity born of laziness.