Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the sky, Humans Being
    Last Online

05.27.15 @ 08:46 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Van Halen was not, nor ever will be "Hair Metal" IMO

Does it tick any one else off when people refer to any Van Halen... Sammy or Dave as Hair Metal? I don't think they fit that genre, for several reasons.
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.facebook.com/azmythband
    www.myspace.com/azmythband
    www.soundclick.com/azmythus
    www.azmythmusic.com

"Does anyone elses grandmother drink bacon grease?"

"I could barely see the ham, from the steam comin off of it, i reached down, between its legs, and cut a piece off" ... "Hamina"

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Honestly, I've never heard anyone refer to Van Halen as "hair-metal", in my entire life. Perhaps you are hanging out with some spectacularly uninformed people?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Unfortunately Chef, I know some supremely uninformed people, many of whom I regret to call friends

I completely agree with the topic. Nothing peeves me more than having a band that was the precursor to hair metal being lumped in with bands like Def Leppard, Poison, and Bon Jovi. I often tell people they hit it big in the 70's as a defense, but all they do is look at the Jump video and see long hair and shout "hair metal! hair metal!"

It is frustrating. It's like the deliniation between Emo and Ska. If you're familiar with the music, you can point out the difference. If you aren't, they're just both punk. Unfortunately for me I hang out with a generation that has the 80's in a blur, mostly because they were born in them.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Blood & Fire
    Last Online

03.13.13 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

True statement indeed.

At times there are clips of hair metal bands and for some reason or another there's a quick clip of David Lee Roth playing with his hair in the video JUMP. It works well within the segment but truth be told Van Halen was never a hair metal band. No makeup. No cheap quicky music and they are not here and gone despite their struggles. Van Halen stands alone. A hair band they definitely are not.
    If eddie were down and out on a sidewalk playing guitar I'd be next to him with a bottle and a blanky braving the cold. I would be sucking my thumb happily making chupa chupa noises in sync with the petroglyphic sounds that came from the mighty finger tips of Edward Van Halen.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    ...It is frustrating. It's like the deliniation between Emo and Ska. If you're familiar with the music, you can point out the difference. If you aren't, they're just both punk. Unfortunately for me I hang out with a generation that has the 80's in a blur, mostly because they were born in them.
    Touche'.

I hear ya. My crowd is a tad older, and as such lived through not only the eighties, yet some of the horrific trends of the seventies as well. About the only advantage to aging is the reward of perspective. And admittedly, even that can get skewed in the process of growing old.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Van Halen has never been a heavy metal band even though they are often given that label-especially during the Roth years. They especially aren't a hair metal band. Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that they seemed to have inspired some hair metal bands-the guitar playing, the outfits and long hair etc. I think VH has been a great insipiration to a lot of those bands. Maybe that's were the association comes from.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    .... the confusion comes from the fact that they seemed to have inspired some [most of the] hair metal bands-the guitar playing, the outfits and long hair etc. I think VH has been a great insipiration to a lot of those bands. Maybe that's were the association comes from.

Thats exactly were the association (of Hair Metal) comes from...

I remember the singer from Poison saying in an interview how much he admired and aspired to be Van Halen.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Honestly, I've never heard anyone refer to Van Halen as "hair-metal", in my entire life. Perhaps you are hanging out with some spectacularly uninformed people?
    No, your lapses in memory are settling in, old man. Lots of cats on this board itself over the years have referred to VH as hair metal; oft berated thereafter, of course.

I dunno how many times I've debated the heavy metal tag, though. VH is a pop hard rock band, period. In no way are they metal. I hate when MTV and VH1 throw 'em in that genre.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    No, your lapses in memory are settling in, old man. Lots of cats on this board itself over the years have referred to VH as hair metal; oft berated thereafter, of course.

I dunno how many times I've debated the heavy metal tag, though. VH is a pop hard rock band, period. In no way are they metal. I hate when MTV and VH1 throw 'em in that genre.
    The key word in my statement was heard, as in conversation in a social setting.
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The key word in my statement was heard, as in conversation in a social setting.
    Ah. Fine and dandy, Mister Syntax.

Heck, nobody and I mean NOBODY talks about VH in my circles anymore, haven't for over twelve years, unless I bring it up, in which case the invariable response is 'They're still around?'

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

What is this Van Halen band you speak of?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    They're a forgotten hair metal band from the 80s, like Poison and Winger.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen hair metal? Uh, no. Never were.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Unfortunately Chef, I know some supremely uninformed people, many of whom I regret to call friends

I completely agree with the topic. Nothing peeves me more than having a band that was the precursor to hair metal being lumped in with bands like Def Leppard, Poison, and Bon Jovi. I often tell people they hit it big in the 70's as a defense, but all they do is look at the Jump video and see long hair and shout "hair metal! hair metal!"

It is frustrating. It's like the deliniation between Emo and Ska. If you're familiar with the music, you can point out the difference. If you aren't, they're just both punk. Unfortunately for me I hang out with a generation that has the 80's in a blur, mostly because they were born in them.

Well, first off the term "hair metal" is stupid. Def Leppard can't stand being referred to as hair metal. Or even "metal" for that matter. They never wore spandex or makeup. They were a rock n' roll band that had it's big hits on the 1980's. Van Halen is the same thing, except they DID wear spandex (Ed and Dave both). Same with Aerosmith in the '80's. And to me, who gives a fuck anyway? My favorite era of rock music was the '80's. Yes, a lot of bands after that took the image to the extreme and made a joke out of the whole genre. People associate Poison and Warrant mostly with the "hair metal" tag. They had the silly videos in the late '80's but I'm not ashamed to admit they those guys could also write catchy rock songs.