Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Remember Those "Mythical" Killer Bees From The 70's? Apparently They Exist After All

Okeechobee, Florida Man Dies After Bee Attack

By ANTIGONE BARTON

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

An Okeechobee County man who died Thursday after being attacked by a swarm of bees was stung more than 100 times by what were likely Africanized honey bees - hybrid insects that have been called "killer bees," state agricultural officials said today.

Robert E. Davis, 51, died of an allergic reaction to the stings, Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services spokeswoman Denise Feiber said.
    More Treasure Coast news
    Latest breaking news, photos and more of today's Post stories.
    Share This Story

His is the first reported human death of bee stings in Florida, Feiber said, although at least five dogs, as well as a number of goats and horses have died after attacks in which they were stung thousands of times, she said.

A hive can hold as many as 40,000 Africanized bees, she said.

Davis had reportedly been working to dismantle a trailer for a construction job on property in the remote rural corner of Okeechobee County known as "the Prairie," when the swarm attacked him.

He had checked the trailer days earlier, and did not know bees had been seen there, his mother, Jeri Adriance, said today.

He had had allergic reactions to single bee stings in the past, and would never have taken the chance of being attacked by a swarm, she said.

"He had three children," she said. "He lived for them."

Friends called 911 and met the responding ambulance at Highway 441 and Eagle Island Road. Rescuers performed CPR on the way to Raulerson Hospital, where he was admitted to intensive care.

About 20 friends and family members camped at the hospital over the next day and a half, his son, Brandon, 23, said today.

He was called Bobby by the circle of friends he had made in the three years he lived in the northwest corner of the county, a place of cow pastures turned into lots so wild and overgrown that dirt roads gave way to ones covered in grass.

There he lived in a big motor home on the property of his good friend Ginger Brooks. He put up a swing, and made a fire pit where they could sit and enjoy piña coladas.

"He would do anything, for anybody," Brooks said. "He loved the water, he liked to fish and go frog-gigging. And he worked."

Several weeks ago, she said, a bee stung his mouth. His tongue swelled, he took Benadryl and recovered.

After his death, agriculture officials sent an inspector to the site of the hive, an abandoned hunting camp. The inspector sprayed the hive, killing the queen, and collecting the 30 bee carcasses needed to analyze the DNA of the insects, which have been identified with "high probability" as Africanized Bees, agriculture officials said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/treasur.../0411bees.html
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:16 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

That's not the way I wanna go.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    That's not the way I wanna go.
    I think I heard a few yrs back that famous race car driver AJ Foyt was stung and almost killed by killer bees on his TX ranch. Sorry to hear about this man but I suspect a few people who are allergic to any bee sting die every year from ordinary bees and wasps etc. Hey Chef the Dolphins could use the killer bees again!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Chef,

Scientisis have been tracking these fuckers for many years...so these are the 'mythical' bees from the 70's.
    Wiki article
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Sad story, awful way to go.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBeginning View Post
    Chef,

Scientisis have been tracking these fuckers for many years...so these are the 'mythical' bees from the 70's.
    I don't doubt it at all. Yet growing up back then, the aura of "Death By Bees" was significant enough to warrant parody on "Saturday Night Live", as every year the "threat" was pointed out by various scare-mongers in the legitimate media. And much like everything else that is lauded yet fails to appear, people began to doubt not only the story, yet the existance of the damned things in totality. Hence the term "mythical".
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

fuck, i live in arizona and I FUCKING HATE BEES!
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

A little more volume in the headphones please.

Last Online

George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nothing new, about 8 or 9 years ago there was a Texas man that was attacked and killed by the African Bees. I thought that there were traps set a few years back to try and stop the migration. Fucked up way to go.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Nothing new, about 8 or 9 years ago there was a Texas man that was attacked and killed by the African Bees. I thought that there were traps set a few years back to try and stop the migration. Fucked up way to go.
    Wasn't there some experiment to make a kindler, gentler bee that went awry and created these things in the first place, or was that some sci-fi film or novel from my decadent youth?

EDIT: Actually, I found a source. And believe it or not, I wasn't far from the truth.

"Africanized Honey Bees (AHB) -- also called Africanized bees or killer bees -- are descendants of southern African bees imported in 1956 by Brazilian scientists attempting to breed a honey bee better adapted to the South American tropics.

When some of these bees escaped quarantine in 1957, they began breeding with local Brazilian honey bees, quickly multiplying and extended their range throughout South and Central America at a rate greater than 200 miles per year. In the past decade, AHB began invading North America.

Africanized bees acquired the name killer bees because they will viciously attack people and animals who unwittingly stray into their territory, often resulting in serious injury or death..."

http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/sep/stories/kbees.html
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Craig, a few months back I saw a show on one of the HD channels here that followed a guy who has made a pretty good living out in Arizona from eradicating killer bee hives. What's funny is that the easiest and most effective way to kill them and destroy the hive is to spray a solution of dish soap and water. It kills the bees right away. I wish I could find the name of the show though...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    Craig, a few months back I saw a show on one of the HD channels here that followed a guy who has made a pretty good living out in Arizona from eradicating killer bee hives. What's funny is that the easiest and most effective way to kill them and destroy the hive is to spray a solution of dish soap and water. It kills the bees right away. I wish I could find the name of the show though...
    Knowing the high rate of repeats on that channel, it might even be on this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.

Around the turn of the century in the Florida keys, some forward thinking genius bought a load of bats to rid the area of mosquitoes. He went so far as to erect several "bat-towers" for them to live in. Unfortunately, the bats merely flew away upon release.

http://www.palaceofwonders.org/?p=20

George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I seem to recall a cheesy 70's movie about the killer bees. It was pretty scary and at the time I was glad this was way in the future. Looks like the future is here.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc View Post
    I seem to recall a cheesy 70's movie about the killer bees. It was pretty scary and at the time I was glad this was way in the future. Looks like the future is here.
    Was that the one where the solution was to herd all of the bees into a football stadium and turn on the air-conditioning?
    George Bernard Shaw