Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default schecter C-1FR v. wolfgang

I have a C1 now and im starting to get into playing. I'm having fun with it but its a hard tail and im gunna need a floyd at some point. The schecter has the better value I'd assume, but does anyone have feedback about anything else?

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do some more research. the Schectors are fine guitars. But you get what you pay for. Spend as much as ya got.
    Are you just looking for the best Floyd equipped guitar you can affored?
    The Axis (from my own personal experience) are like MIM strats. A crapshoot. Some are great, some are crap.
    Earnies are nice too, but I'm just starting to learn about these axes. I'm not an expert by any means.
    My problem with those is that they dont have original Floyds ( I dont think).
    Sorry I aint too much info.
    You guys know my favorite Floyd guitars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ron, you mean the OLP axis's are a crapshoot, right? Cause every Ernie Ball Axis I've ever played was amazing. OLPs aren't great, though.

No, the EBMM Axis doesn't have an original Floyd, but the floyd on it is just as good / better.

VF5150 - I'm waiting to see how much the new Fender Wolfgang is going to be before I make another guitar purchase. Cool to see another VB guy in here, too. I'm up at the North End.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

A Year to the Day, One I want
    Last Online

07.11.08 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it really depends they are both excellent Guitars I personally like the Schecter because i like emgs. plus for $850 you get an original Floyd
    "MY FAVORTITE THING ABOUT MY RIG IS MY PEDALBOARD. MAN, I WENT TO HOME DEPOT, BOUGHT A FEW METAL STRAPS AND BOLTED THOSE MOTHER F**KIN' STOMPBOXES DOWN! SCREW THAT WIMPY VELCRO! YOU NEED METAL!"-Zakk Wylde

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonguitars4life View Post
    it really depends they are both excellent Guitars I personally like the Schecter because i like emgs. plus for $850 you get an original Floyd
    Yeah, but for $500 you get an original floyd....on a MIM strat. My point is just cause it has an original Floyd, doesn't mean it's a fantastic guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by VF5150 View Post
    The schecter has the better value I'd assume, but does anyone have feedback about anything else?
    The Schecter and the Wolfgang are 2 very different guitars. The Schecter is set neck, rosewood fretboard, mahogany bodied, and has EMG pickups. The Wolfgang is a bolt-on, maple neck, basswood body, and pickups exclusive to the Wolfgang.

Me personally? Can't stand EMG's, prefer maple fretboards, and am not the biggest fan of Mahogany. You might be different. Play them both, then decide.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the replys. I went to a guitar store today. They had both guitars so I tried them out-I cant decide if I like the EMGs. People I talk to love or hate them, they sound a little "artificial" to me if that makes any sense. The wolfgang sounded warmer and very different in tone...almost swirly sounding? I dont know how to describe it or what I think of it. I liked the maple neck, but the wolfgang felt kind of dainty compared to the schecter, but notes on the high strings were really easy to fret. Cause of the flatish profile on top, it is harder to fret chordes that use all the stings like an open G. so I really dunno, they are still tied in my mind.

I have one quick question though, it $550 a good price for a peavy wg special(non quilt top)? Its used, its purple, and it does have a chip out of the paint near the neck pickup. I might re paint it black if I get it.
    Last edited by VF5150; 04.18.08 at 10:02 PM.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

$550 is a real good price for a USA Peavey Wolfgang special.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Definitely get the serial number and make sure that Wolfgang is a USA model. My ivory colored Wolfgang Special from 12/98 has serial number 91013302, and the serial number is embossed into the wood on the back of the headstock. I took a quick look on Ebay and there is one from 1999 with serial number 91022547. I once bid on one that had serial number 91000100- it was the 100th Wolfgang made and supposedly Ed personally inspected the first 100. I played a Korean made Wolfgang at a music store a while ago and it just did not feel 'all there'. I believe the serial numbers on the Korean made models begin with 02 and 03 and the number will be in a black, bold font. Many times people will conveniently leave out the fact that a Wolfgang is a Korean made model.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

You can tell it's a Korean Special if it has a quilt top. They all do. The USA Specials were pretty much all solid colors, except for custom shops, I believe. The Korean model isn't a bad guitar as some say. It is solid and plays good and you can find them for pretty cheap. The USA Specials are a very nice guitar with a better neck and hardware and are still pretty cheap. They are a little plain looking, but the playability makes up for it.
    But as most say, play what fits you best. There are a million to choose from. And what you like today, you may not like in a few years. I've had quite a few guitars over the years and heck, one of my favorites now is a $130 OLP MM1 that I've fixed up and painted and put a Floyd on. Damn thing plays like butter.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks for the feedback. so if there it is a solid color you can be sure that its USA made correct?

-chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

02.14.14 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

USA Specials are also Flamed....... not only solid..

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VF5150 View Post
    thanks for the feedback. so if there it is a solid color you can be sure that its USA made correct?
    Yes. The Koreans all had the quilt. So if it is a solid color, it's definately USA unless it's been painted. There are also subtle differences, like the "Special" logo on the USA headstock is all the way to the right of the "g" below Wolfgang. On the EXP it starts right below the "g" in Wolfgang. Plus the Floyd Rose is different. The bar on the Korean has a tension wheel where it screws in, whereas the USA bar screws directly in and you can't adjust tension. And another subtle difference is the volume knob turns really easily on the USA which is nice touch.