ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:36 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Default Navy Seal Receives Medal of Honor - Posthumously

Michael A. Monsoor, a Navy SEAL, was awarded the Medal of Honor yesterday, April 8, posthumously. He was killed in action on Sept. 29, 2006 in Ramadi, Iraq when he jumped on a live grenade to save the members of his team. His parents received the medal from Pres. Bush. He becomes the second SEAL to receive the MOH in recent years. Michael P. Murphy received the award on October 22, 2007 for action in Afghanistan on June 28, 2005. Lt. Murphy was KIA. I can only say that it's sad that these awards have been made posthumously. In fact I found out while reading about this that all six MOH's awarded for action since the end of the Vietnam war have been made in the same manner. RIP Chief Petty Officer Monsoor. Read about it here:

http://navyseals.com/michael-monsoor
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I saw this on CNN. He is a true American Hero.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Jesus. How many of us would have the balls or split second thinking to fall on a fucking live grenade to save others!

What a hero!
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Reading about something like this really puts our little "Sam vs DLR" & "WVH vs MA" cat-fights into perpective....

“On 29 September (2006), Monsoor was part of a sniper overwatch security position in eastern Ramadi, Iraq, with three other SEALs and eight Iraqi soldiers. They were providing overwatch security while joint and combined forces were conducting missions in the area. Ramadi had been a violent and intense area for a very strong and aggressive insurgency for some time. All morning long the overwatch position received harassment fire that had become a typical part of the day for the security team. Around midday, the exterior of the building was struck by a single rocket propelled grenade (RPG), but no injuries to any of the overwatch personnel were sustained. The overwatch couldn’t tell where the RPG came from and didn’t return fire.”

“A couple of hours later, an insurgency fighter closed on the overwatch position and threw a fragment grenade into the overwatch position which hit Monsoor in the chest before falling in front of him. Monsoor yelled, “Grenade!” and dropped on top of the grenade prior to it exploding. Monsoor’s body shielded the others from the brunt of the fragmentation blast and two other SEALs were only wounded by the remaining blast.”

“One of the key aspects of this incident was the way the overwatch position was structured. There was only one access point for entry or exit and Monsoor was the only one who could have saved himself from harm. Instead, knowing what the outcome would be, he fell on the grenade to save the others from harm. Monsoor and the two injured were evacuated to the combat outpost battalion aid station where Monsoor died approximately 30 minutes after the incident from injuries sustained by the grenade blast.”

Also due to Monsoor’s selfless actions, the fourth man of the SEAL squad who was 10-15 feet from the blast, was unhurt. A 28-year-old Lieutenant, who sustained shrapnel wounds to both legs that day, said the following in crediting Monsoor with saving his life: “He never took his eye off the grenade – his only movement was down toward it. He undoubtedly saved mine and the other SEALs’ lives, and we owe him.”

As Kristen Scharnberg of the ChicagoTribune summarized in tribute, “The men who were there that day say they could see the options flicker across Michael Mansoor’s face: save himself or save the men he had long considered brothers. He chose them.”
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

damn...

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doesnt surprise me to be honest. The training programmes you to do anything to look our for each other, your oppo next to you.

Royal Marine Commando did the same thing in Afganistan recently - http://digg.com/people/Royal_Marine_..._Save_His_Team

He was lucky enough to survive.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,806 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

I am not surprised at all. Shit when I got out of bootcamp in 91, I was almost of the mindset to do anything to save my shipmate. SEALs have that mindset times 10.

My favorite experience with some SEALs was when I was going to A school in Orlando Florida. Spent the weekend with some classmates in Daytona and we were at some hotel drinking beer on our 10th floor balcony. Some dudes were swimming in the pool below and asked us to throw them down a couple of beers. We threw them in the pool and they started to drink them. When they got done, they said they wanted more and asked if they could come up. We said sure and told them our room number. They said they did not need it and then proceeded to climb up the side of the building using the balconies

. Once they got to our balcony we gave them some beers and chatted with them. They said they were SEALs and were on leave. Of course we were all wide eyed and asking them all sorts of dumb questions but they were cool and did not treat us like guys who just got out of boot camp. They could have been lying but not too many guys would just decide to climb 10 stories without any gear. We saw them later at a club and they bought us a round. Good guys.

Anyway in this guys mind, he was probably just doing his duty.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

God Bless this man...I dont want to hear people say this generation isnt the same as the WW2 crowd, we have great people serving in our armed forces.
    Now if we could just get some good leaders........

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

"There is no greater love than to lay your life down for your fellow man..."

A hero in every sense of the word.
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Bittersweet...

This last year, I was deployed to the Middle East to provide contracting support to Special Forces. I had to do a little bit of travelling in Iraq (this was not my first time there). I met and interacted with a lot of Spec Ops guys from all the Services. They're an interesting lot. The thing I admire about them the most is their sense of duty and dedication. They truly "embrace the suck" without batting an eye, and they wouldn't hesitate to do anything for one of their brethren, including laying down their lives for each other. I thought about them often as I toted my M9 and M249 around Iraq. Each of those guys, to me, are heroes.

In my squadron, my job is to train my fellow brothers- and sisters-in-arms to provide contracting support in a contingency/wartime environment. At the beginning of our training sessions I tell them that I'm not only training them to purchase items, services, and construction, but that I'm training them to go to war and that there may come a time when they'll have to not only lock & load, but pull that trigger and kill someone to increase their chances of coming home alive. There may come a time when they have to sacrifice our own lives for the good of fellow Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors, or Marines - just like what CPO Michael Monsoor did for his team.

I love all of those deployed men and women - especially the ground-pounding warriors, their support teams, and especially Special Operators - for who they are and what they do. May God bless and keep them all.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz