Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default If secrets had been a van hagar synth song

Would it have been popular? Not that it matters, its a great song, I think its worth more musical with dave than it would have been with sam. I didnt like it at first but I am really starting to like it now. Its really a deep cut now, but if it had been with hagar, might it have been more well known like WCTBL or something? The words would have been different, but the notes could have been the same. Discuss.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 1,615 Times in 993 Posts

Donor

Secrets is a classic VH song, synth wouldn't have made it better nor would have Sam. Those lyrics are among Dave's finest, and that's saying something given VH lyrics from either era tend not to run deep in the poet vein overall.

It's a deep cut, but it's one of those top five deep cuts of Van Halen that shouldn't have been so deep, particularly for the core fanbase. I can include several others that should've had WAY more exposure and popularity even among the diehards...Simple Rhyme, Hear About it Later, Girl Gone Bad, On Fire, The Full Bug, Fools, Take Your Whiskey Home.

But nooooooooooo.....VH is known for a Kinks cover, Jump, and a Crystal Pepsi diddy instead. Sigh.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree fully, im just talking hypotheticaly :/

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Last Online

Donor

Difficult to take hypotheticals with original Dave tracks being reworked by Sam. It'd be a totally different song lyrically and harmonically. I assume you're putting forth the 'hypothesis' because you believe Secrets to be a slower, more 'balladish' type Dave track, something Sammy was more known for, in terms of 'softer' Van Halen songs. But I don't see Secrets as a sing-songy ballad or soft rock really at all. It's more a blues-rock fusion black oak thing Ed and Dave worked out...

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    I can include several others that should've had WAY more exposure and popularity even among the diehards...Simple Rhyme, Hear About it Later, Girl Gone Bad, On Fire, The Full Bug, Fools, Take Your Whiskey Home.

(
    I do think Hear About It Later is held in very high regard among the die hards. I bet if we polled everyone on these boards it would consistently be in people's Top 3 from that album.

HAIL should have been a radio hit and I still can't believe it never got air play. When you think about how much Dancing In The Streets has been played to death on radio it makes you shake your head that HAIL never got the same treatment.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I do think Hear About It Later is held in very high regard among the die hards. I bet if we polled everyone on these boards it would consistently be in people's Top 3 from that album.

HAIL should have been a radio hit and I still can't believe it never got air play. When you think about how much Dancing In The Streets has been played to death on radio it makes you shake your head that HAIL never got the same treatment.

It's revered, but it doesn't get nearly as much press in the diehard consensus as Unchained and Mean Street. I personally think it's a better song than either of those, but then again, HAIL's been in my top three VH songs since 1981. So I'm biased.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    It's revered, but it doesn't get nearly as much press in the diehard consensus as Unchained and Mean Street. I personally think it's a better song than either of those, but then again, HAIL's been in my top three VH songs since 1981. So I'm biased.
    Oh, no doubt it's better than Mean Street. I don't want to turn this thread into a "list" thread, but my Top 3 on FW have always been Unchained, HAIL, and So This Is Love. Hear About It Later is a bonafide radio hit that for some reason never was. Never understood it.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Oh, no doubt it's better than Mean Street. I don't want to turn this thread into a "list" thread, but my Top 3 on FW have always been Unchained, HAIL, and So This Is Love. Hear About It Later is a bonafide radio hit that for some reason never was. Never understood it.
    For me, 'Warning's always been about HAIL, PCTS, and STIL.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

I don't understand. A Van Hagar synth song?
    But who would've made it a synth song? Do you think Sammy would've been in a position to say "no Ed, pack up the guitar, it has to be played on keys?"
    "Synth" started on 1984, and I hate to break the news to ya, but Sammy wasn't singing on that record. So I don't see your point. I think the key of "Secrets" works better with Dave's voice.

Decision to release it as a single or not rested with Warner. If you wanna blame someone, blame the Warner A&R who made this decision who's probably retired by now, lounging in his indoor pool on Wilshire Boulevard. Maybe we should all go and stink bomb his mailbox....
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I don't understand. A Van Hagar synth song?
    But who would've made it a synth song? Do you think Sammy would've been in a position to say "no Ed, pack up the guitar, it has to be played on keys?"
    "Synth" started on 1984, and I hate to break the news to ya, but Sammy wasn't singing on that record. So I don't see your point. I think the key of "Secrets" works better with Dave's voice.

synth/keyboard started WACF, have you heard Cradle Will Rock? EVH wrote Right Now in 82/83 and that didnt come out till FUCK. The arrangment would be different and the key could too, I'm just saying the music would be well adapted to keys and I was wondering if it may have had some of the popularity it should have had.

-chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Speaking of synths, Here's something interesting on youtube. Its a 1982 interview which ed plays the synth over the phone to a guitar world columnest which he plays the rough draft of jump. If you can listen to all 9 of them its actually pretty in depth.